Booth11

The Photography Chat Thread

79 posts in this topic

Following a recent discussion in the detailing section, it was suggested that it would be useful to have a Photography chat thread for people who share an interest in photography, whether it's automotive - taking pics of their own freshly detailed R, or more general photo interest.

So this is the place to chat about your photo interests - cameras, lenses, tripods etc, photo editing software, techniques, and so on.....

To kick off I'll just say that I dabble from time to time in the odd bit of photography but at the moment that's mainly confined to photographing my R in various states. :cheesy:

I've got a fair bit of camera gear and will use whatever is to hand - from my DSLR, an ageing Canon EOS 7D and an array of lenses, or my Canon EOS M Compact System Camera, and a few other cameras - right down to my iPhone 6 Plus camera if that's all I have on me when the moment strikes.

I've yet to take my new R on a proper photoshoot but will get round to it at some point. And we can't have a photo chat thread without any photos so here's a few pics of my R.  

7R
21216039884_2fe8fefe74_o.jpg

23245684283_e134858054_o.jpg

23245688563_2554aa7b41_o.jpg

22093021530_b4a6674ed5_o.jpg

22268208772_090d819deb_o.jpg

22255030036_0a8e8e901f_o.jpg

21216041224_8e78d18a56_o.jpg

Let the chat commence..........

IMPORTANT NOTE:  If posting images can you please limit it to 10 images per post, thanks.  :afro:

Hahaha as if this has just been posted!! Put some picks up in my thread probably the same time this was posted. I'll chime in at sown point

Hahaha!   :cheesy:

I just started this thread after a request from Mainframe (few days ago) for a general photo chat thread after recent interesting photo/camera chat in the detailing section.  You must have been posting at the exact same time.  Get your lovely photos up in here Jono.  :)

Suggestion was to have it in the detailing section, but there are others not into that who may have an interest, so best in General section I think.

I have a Sony A7II and a bunch of old Minolta lenses (manual focus). Still a bit crap at using them but it's good fun trying!

Saving up for new car detail / dash cam / tracker now, but after that I'll be aiming for a Sony/Zeiss lens of some description.

I love a bit of photography. Just finished a distance learning course and have recently upgraded my gear. Now have a Sony A7 and an old Canon 5d. Both full frame cameras as I love the photos you can get from them. Really just lacking some good lenses now. Have a few in mind to pick up this year but stage 3 might get in the way of that :) I also have a Holga pinhole film camera which takes some interesting shots.

I love car photography (obviously) but I'm also a big fan of street photography.

Some pics of R and other stuff.....

6d69fbea43371c5b36afd7540ad0b70f.jpg

5919217c30cf2914b7c4f3fbda9ad9d6.jpg

142ff557dca5d8c2b5ac67cf66c323b5.jpg

d657fdd0038033db30cec3916982af67.jpg

372aabb0220dde259c152974cb60aff4.jpg

56311faa70dde382e1915ef05fb5a9a8.jpg

6c6a6b4c193833d81087985266b0459a.jpg

a06687a883a20c76f8c739f7f2d2b9ff.jpg

80b761bf60228c37eb45a4212fa9c9e0.jpg

Some really, really excellent shots vvtt  :cool:

Was it a general photography distance course you did, or something specific?  I looked into distance courses a while back and would like to do one but just can't find the time to commit to it atm.  My areas of interest are architectural, automotive, macro and portraiture. I've always had an interest in photography but my background is fine art (painting) which I studied to degree level (long ago).  Never did much photography at that time, but my interest has grown over the years, as has my car interest, so unsurprising that the two should meet.

I think my next move will be to full fame.  Thought about it a couple years ago but have been more focused on car stuff so it takes a back seat to that.  But later this year I'm looking to upgrade my Canon 7D (CMOS sensor).  I'll most likely stick with Canon as I have quite a few lenses, both EF and EF-S, including a number of L zoom lenses, primes and macros, plus a host of Hoya skylight, circular polariser and other filters. So quite a bit of investment into that system. Will probably go for the latest mark of the 5D.  Either that or I'd have to sell up my Canon stuff if I wanted to move to another system, but that's unlikely. 

In the meantime will stick with my 7D but it needs looking at as it's developed a focussing problem ever since I knocked it over on the tripod.  :embarrassed:   Thought it might just be the lens but tried a few now and must be the camera.  So will see what the situation is and how much it's likely to cost to repair. The outcome of that might decide when I go to a full frame. 

The EOS M was purchased as a CSC mirrorless back up, and it's not a bad little camera, apart from poor focussing in low light where it struggles, constantly hunting around.  Got 3 lenses, incl pancake, a flash unit and a converter which means I can use my Canon EF-S lenses with it, although you have to watch the weight distribution when they are attached. 

Anyway, some stunning photos you have, look forward to seeing more of them. 

Thanks. I've worked hard on getting better at this over the last year or so. Loads left to learn though but it's fun.

The course was a general photography course and it was a pretty good course, but not all id hoped it would be really. It was the Photography Institute course.....

http://www.thephotographyinstitute.co.uk/index.cfm?code=GO&gclid=CNGS-63P0soCFSHmwgod4EMPTg

If I had the time I'd love to do a more art based photography course like this one.......

http://www.oca.ac.uk/creative-arts-degrees/ba-hons-photography-degree/

But I just couldn't find the time to commit to this properly. But id love to as the course I did focused heavily on the technical aspects and also developing a business in photography. But my real interest with photography is the artistic side of things. (I know that sounds a bit pretentious but to me that's the fun side of photography).

I had a CSC system for a while (Nex 5 then 6) and it was great but I just wanted the full frame "magic". Shame full frame lenses cost the earth. But I'm after some top quality fast primes, a decent general purpose zoom, and then something a little more interesting like a Lensbaby 56. Could spend a small fortune on lenses if I had a small fortune :)

I love a bit of photography. Just finished a distance learning course and have recently upgraded my gear. Now have a Sony A7 and an old Canon 5d. Both full frame cameras as I love the photos you can get from them. Really just lacking some good lenses now. Have a few in mind to pick up this year but stage 3 might get in the way of that  :) I also have a Holga pinhole film camera which takes some interesting shots.

I love car photography (obviously) but I'm also a big fan of street photography.

Some pics of R and other stuff.....

I really like your photos! Especially the black and white ones.

Here's a few photos of my previous 6GTI.  These were taken to accompany my 6GTI write up for 2014 edition of Volkswagen Driver Mag GTI Special, the editor of the mag specifically asked for a plain industrial estate background.  So there I was up with the lark one Sunday morning.  Fortunately industrial estates are quiet and deserted places on Sundays, but I did get the Tesco warehouse security guard come over to ask me what I was up to.  Think he thought I was casing the joint!

6GTI

14236200993_0a6036bb0a_k.jpg

14213613252_20ae3f1a8d_k.jpg

14214202192_0e0af0cd72_k.jpg

14193441426_91158a9ec4_k.jpg

14029509019_d41d1d1ec4_k.jpg

14215943394_88df672874_k.jpg

11555675885_69723a8f32_k.jpg

10045639913_07b41b31d8_k.jpg

10045660725_f944047d69_k.jpg

10045490994_e263f2da2f_k.jpg

Thanks. I've worked hard on getting better at this over the last year or so. Loads left to learn though but it's fun.

The course was a general photography course and it was a pretty good course, but not all id hoped it would be really. It was the Photography Institute course.....

http://www.thephotographyinstitute.co.uk/index.cfm?code=GO&gclid=CNGS-63P0soCFSHmwgod4EMPTg

If I had the time I'd love to do a more art based photography course like this one.......

http://www.oca.ac.uk/creative-arts-degrees/ba-hons-photography-degree/

But I just couldn't find the time to commit to this properly. But id love to as the course I did focused heavily on the technical aspects and also developing a business in photography. But my real interest with photography is the artistic side of things. (I know that sounds a bit pretentious but to me that's the fun side of photography).

I had a CSC system for a while (Nex 5 then 6) and it was great but I just wanted the full frame "magic". Shame full frame lenses cost the earth. But I'm after some top quality fast primes, a decent general purpose zoom, and then something a little more interesting like a Lensbaby 56. Could spend a small fortune on lenses if I had a small fortune :)

Useful links, thanks.  :)

Creative photography doesn't sound in the least pretentious (not to me anyway).  But I think you've got to start with the technical side of things, before you can move down artistic avenues, so your approach is the right one, I'm sure. 

If I had the time, that's the type of course I'd start off with.  I'm never short on creative ideas but they are useless without the technical know how.  It's no different with painting, although many think it's just a case of flinging a bit of paint onto a canvas, and think that even more if you're an abstract artist (as I was).  But if you can't draw properly first, then you can't paint.  You need to learn the technical stuff so you can cast it aside later, and bend the 'rules', if that makes sense. 

But as you say, it's not a cheap hobby, but then either are cars.  

Photography is actually my job! Looking forward to shooting photos of my R when it arrives!

My website & Instagram. :)

Cool job! Just looked at your website. Some awesome stuff on there. What equipment do you use, or is the list too long? Do you work freelance? Do you use an agency?

We're expecting some badass photo of the month entries from you then! :afro:

Exactly.  Rest of us might as well pack up our cameras and go home.  :grin: