VW R Owners Club uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Welcome to the all new Volkswagen R Owners Club (incorporating RForum.co.uk)!

VWROC Guest Ads

Please login to hide these ads

Please login to hide these ads

Bio Ethanol...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jdjd

jdjd

Ph.D. in R-ology

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:22 PM

So I'm going out for a drive with afew mates Sunday gone,

Friend A pipes up he needs to go to B n Q for something, Comes out with like a 1.5ltr tub of bio ethanol and pours it into his fuel tank in the car park.

He came out with some garbage saying it makes his car faster. Car is 2006 S3, Running a remap and intake so pretty much a stage 1?

Anybody shed light on this?

#2 Rick@UnicornMotorDev

Rick@UnicornMotorDev

Silver Partner

• Silver Partners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:47 PM

Yes, it acts as an Octane booster and due to a lower calorific value, more is needed so it acts as a coolant too.

Rick

referral-0844116001418486208.jpg

#3 jdjd

jdjd

Ph.D. in R-ology

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:07 PM

Yes, it acts as an Octane booster and due to a lower calorific value, more is needed so it acts as a coolant too.

Rick

Is that safe? And not going to knacker his fuel pump / injectors / fuel lines and anything rubber?

This tub was designed for indoor fires

Guys a tight **** aswell so I bet he had less then £20 worth of fuel in tank before he chucked it in

#4 montecarlo

montecarlo

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationIstanbul, Turkey
  • Name Engin

Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:17 PM

This might be interesting:

https://www.bellperf...ol-to-your-fuel

#5 Cogito

Cogito

Serious R Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • LocationMetro Atlanta, Georgia USA
  • Name Pete

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:14 PM

Although it is possible to get ethanol-free fuel at some stations, most US pumps display stickers indicating up to 10% contents.  This has been the case for years and doesn't seem to affect engine performance.  Ethanol can be hard on fuel lines and seals if they aren't constructed to tolerate its corrosive characteristics.  Don't know whether VW has that covered world-wide, not just in the States, but I suspect they do.  As Rick points out, ethanol has lower calorific value.  While some US-spec cars and trucks (not VW) can run on up to 85% ethanol mix (it costs less per gallon if you can find it), they get lower fuel mileage when they do. 

2016 MK7 R - Lapiz

Other current wheels:  2003 Porsche Boxster S - Midnight Blue; 2005 Ford F-150 pickup - Silver

Gone but remembered fondly:  2012 MK6 R - Rising Blue; 1995 BMW M3 - Avus Blue

#6 Shorty

Shorty

Serious R Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:33 PM

Used to run my stage 2 R on ethanol loads, it loved the sfuff.

Got a shed load in my garage still, gonna try some in the 140 soon.
Mk7 R - Lapiz blue | DSG | 19" Pretorias | Keyless | Winter Pack | Reverse camera |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users