Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jdjd

Bio Ethanol...

6 posts in this topic

So I'm going out for a drive with afew mates Sunday gone,

Friend A pipes up he needs to go to B n Q for something, Comes out with like a 1.5ltr tub of bio ethanol and pours it into his fuel tank in the car park.

He came out with some garbage saying it makes his car faster. Car is 2006 S3, Running a remap and intake so pretty much a stage 1?

Anybody shed light on this?

Yes, it acts as an Octane booster and due to a lower calorific value, more is needed so it acts as a coolant too.

Rick

Is that safe? And not going to knacker his fuel pump / injectors / fuel lines and anything rubber?

This tub was designed for indoor fires

Guys a tight **** aswell so I bet he had less then £20 worth of fuel in tank before he chucked it in

Although it is possible to get ethanol-free fuel at some stations, most US pumps display stickers indicating up to 10% contents.  This has been the case for years and doesn't seem to affect engine performance.  Ethanol can be hard on fuel lines and seals if they aren't constructed to tolerate its corrosive characteristics.  Don't know whether VW has that covered world-wide, not just in the States, but I suspect they do.  As Rick points out, ethanol has lower calorific value.  While some US-spec cars and trucks (not VW) can run on up to 85% ethanol mix (it costs less per gallon if you can find it), they get lower fuel mileage when they do.