VW R Owners Club uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Welcome to the all new Volkswagen R Owners Club (incorporating RForum.co.uk)!

VWROC Guest Ads

Please login to hide these ads

Please login to hide these ads

Quick Detailers - Correct Use

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 L8tes

L8tes

Certified R Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Name Leighton

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:09 PM

Team

I bought and used a quick detailer for the first time today and I think I've misunderstood what they are actually for.

I thought they were used after a proper clean when you are tight on time and you want to touch up your polish/wax base. However, having reread the forums it appears they are more for almost a water free car clean.

Is this right? Can they be used to touch up my wax base?

If they aren't a spray on top up, is there such a thing that people recommend.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

#2 Booth11

Booth11

Ultimate R Hero

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,732 posts
  • LocationKent
  • Name Rebecca

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:25 PM

Team

I bought and used a quick detailer for the first time today and I think I've misunderstood what they are actually for.

I thought they were used after a proper clean when you are tight on time and you want to touch up your polish/wax base. However, having reread the forums it appears they are more for almost a water free car clean.

Is this right? Can they be used to touch up my wax base?

If they aren't a spray on top up, is there such a thing that people recommend.

Cheers

They have various uses, but I think most on this forum use QD's as you have, on a freshly washed car to refresh, reinvigorate, top up existing wax/sealant and add extra gloss. I would say that is their primary function and your original understanding of them is correct. They are also very handy for dealing with emergencies such as bird poo incidents and a good idea to keep on in the boot or in a mobile detailing kit.

There are also 'waterless wash sprays' which are geared towards those that don't have washing facilites, but these are designed specifically for that purpose and a bit different to normal QD.

I personally wouldn't entertain using a QD on a dirty car, other than the aforementioned bird emergencies, as the potential to mark the paintwork is great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • SoggyBottomBoy and dexter like this

Black Beauty:7R 5dr DSG DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Tech Pack - Dynaudio - DNS Pro - App-connect, Rear cam, HBA

2012 MK6 GTI DSG

2008 MK5 GTI DSG 

2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11/

#3 L8tes

L8tes

Certified R Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Name Leighton

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:36 PM

Sweet. I was quite pleased with the result and couldn't ever see me using as a waterless wash. Thanks for the prompt, as ever, response Booth.

#4 SoggyBottomBoy

SoggyBottomBoy

Ph.D. in R-ology

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts
  • LocationIreland
  • Name Graham

Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:13 PM

Yet more valuable information for the Soggy detailing database  :cheesy:

2016 Mk7 R 5dr DSG Lapis Blue, 19" Pretoria, Keyless, DNS, App-connect, Tech Pack (Nav, Light Assist, Rear Camera)

#5 Wo-Wo

Wo-Wo

Silver Partner

• Silver Partners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • LocationCheshire
  • Name Wo-Wo

Posted 13 January 2017 - 07:04 AM

I've never used a waterless as its intended however a lot of them have carnauba in so I used to use one after a thorough clean just to top up the protection and it never let me down.

I'm using OCD Finishes Velocity at the moment and the beading is excellent, seems to last reasonably well too.

• L8tes likes this

Detailing Accessories for the Detailing Enthusiast

www.wo-wo.co.uk

https://m.youtube.co...Kh9RlkfrQUZJZLA

#6 Chriss5471

Chriss5471

Certified R Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Name Chris

Posted 15 January 2017 - 06:07 PM