Welcome, Guest!

Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.
Chunky1199

Whoever said don't cry over spilt milk was a liar !

Help.

My wife spilt a pint of milk in the passenger footwell of her Touareg over xmas.

I vacuumed and washed the mats then a few days later had a valet and all seemed well.

Wrong. It absolutely stinks now, to the point where you can smell it as you approach the car.

I assume it has made it's way under the seat carpet which is impossible to access. 

Any idea's ? My wife's was to sell it but it is only a year old and would be a bit extreme for a pint of milk.

Please help our noses. 

Help.

My wife spilt a pint of milk in the passenger footwell of her Touareg over xmas.

I vacuumed and washed the mats then a few days later had a valet and all seemed well.

Wrong. It absolutely stinks now, to the point where you can smell it as you approach the car.

I assume it has made it's way under the seat carpet which is impossible to access. 

Any idea's ? My wife's was to sell it but it is only a year old and would be a bit extreme for a pint of milk.

Please help our noses. 

This is gonna sound like a smartar$e comment, but it's not....I just wanted to use this link :grin: .  Vinegar and baking soda sound to be the way to go.

http://letmegooglethat.com/?q=how+to+get+rid+of+the+smell+of+milk+in+a+car

Sounds like it's quite common, and proper rank.....you have my sympathy!!  :sick3:

I appreciate it's difficult this weather but try

if you can to keep the windows open as much

as possible..

Failing that what about wetting area with a

sponge soaked in a disinfectant solution. And

then getting a wet vac to soak up residue.?

You'll need a professional interior clean mate. 

I had a 2L bottle of Coke explode in the footwell of my last car and although it didn't smell. The stickiness in the carpets, seats and headlining never truly went away.

You will have to pick the carpet up and take them out, clean underneath and remove all the milk. You will then have to wash/ dry clean the carpet. That is the only way to get rid of it, because the milk has probably gone through the carpet and although your carpet will be clean on top the milk will still be sitting there underneath.

Good luck 

As above enzyme eater. As long as you saturate the area it'll soak through and eat the milk/bacteria and therefore the smell along with it.

You can also get smaller bottles from pet shops under the guise of pet odour eliminator but it's the same thing.

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/simple-solution-stain-and-odour-remover-750ml

I'd try an enzyme eater solution first and if that doesn't sort it then get it professionally cleaned.  I've used the pet odour sprays like those linked by jrw above (on household pet carpet problems) and they do work well.  No amount of air freshener is going to help as will just temporarily mask the smell, and when the warmer weather comes!!   I can imagine it smells rank now.  My kid dropped a full KFC Oreo Crushem milkshake in the back of my mk6, went all over the carpet, but I pulled over and fortunately had stuff in the boot to quickly deal with it, so it didnt have change to soak through to the underneath.  Was picking tiny bits if Oreo cookie out of the carpet for weeks though!   Hope you can get it sorted. 

Help.

Please help our noses. 

Never got around to posting review on this, but Ozone plate generator will cost you same as paying someone else to do it:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Commercial-Industrial-Air-Deodorizer-Sterilizer/dp/B00WZX9PQK

Perfect for milk, vomit, smoking, errant teenager lingering odours. Used by hotels and hospitals to deep cleanse.  

As as long as carpet is mainly clean, it's the residual fat in milk going rancid that fills the air.  Ozone is a powerful gas and effective enzyme eater.

ozone neutralises the airborne bacteria that smells.   Fortunately in a small area like a car, run this for an hour, leave overnight for ozone to penetrate, and hey presto, 'new' smell. Slightly chlorine residual in a sort of hospital laundry way, but highly effective.

if you are in wilts, I am in Bristol and can lend you mine. But at £60 it has a myriad of uses in the home too.  Post party, whiffy shower rooms, teenage bedroom etc, all hospital fresh.

Thanks for the ideas. The issue is the area I have yet to get to deep under the seat, hindered by all the electric crap. Will try some of the potions and keep my eyes open for mice after the forming cheese !

Thank God she wasn't using the R !

This is gonna sound like a smartar$e comment, but it's not....I just wanted to use this link :grin: .  Vinegar and baking soda sound to be the way to go.

http://letmegooglethat.com/?q=how+to+get+rid+of+the+smell+of+milk+in+a+car

Sounds like it's quite common, and proper rank.....you have my sympathy!!  :sick3:

My mate did this at Le Mans last year when a frozen curry he had on the back seat thawed quicker and wasn't in a sealed bag....

Made one hell of a mess.  In the end the only way to get rid of the smell was to get it professionally cleaned but the above method kept the rest of us entertained for a few days :-)

I have to admit that my wife once did the same in a Mondeo ST that I owned, and the ONLY way to get rid completely was to sell the car...!   :undecided:

My wife found a stray cat and I have to take it to the vets to see if it was chipped, pee'd all over my passenger seat. The car never recovered.

J.