Richard_Nottm

Private car sale advice - is there a scam here?

96 posts in this topic

Ok, So my R32 is up for sale.

 

Im in Notts/derby. A chap rang from kent earlier in the week who says hes buying a car for his son whos finishing uni bla blah.   Wanted to get the train up today originally to view but the plan changed.  So, theres been a few calls from a mobile number.  Im then away for a week tmrw-until saturday.  He said he would arrange something soon. 

 

Hes now called today saying he wants to put a deposit on the car....likes me, the ad and various bit and bobs....wants to pay me £400 deposit and then the balance when he comes up (either cash/bank transfer or both).

 

I just need to provide my bank ac / sort code.  So, the temptation is to take this guy at face value and potentially receive a deposit.  It all just seems a bit too easy. Was at work when i took the call. All friendly and ok.  Sort of talks the im not techy, buying it for my son...just seems too easy...no difficult questions...no viewing....i said i can email a receipt...he said dont worry about it...i trust you etc....i then said when do you want to collect the car...he said a couple of weeks if ok.....

 

So, i guess i said id send details whilst at work....but now had an hour to reflect and its niggling me.

 

Is giving out a bank account / sort code irresponsible in itself?

He didnt ask for me to delist it

Didnt ask too much info but the advert is self explanatory

I could ring the guy again?  Could risk offending a potential buyer. Could be a scam.

 

Just trying to weigh it all up. Am i being too untrusting? weary?

 

Thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its horrible selling things these days you never know whether the person is genuine or not As you hear so much about people being ripped off. 

 

Could you not get him to send the deposit via paypal so your not having to hand out your bank details?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have had emails when previously selling cars that sounded exactly like this scenario that were scams. I dont understand why anyone in the right mind would put a deposit down and collect in a few weeks, just sounds a bit daft. Like other lads said use paypal, If he insists only with bank transfer then I would personally avoid any further communication. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Disputes-and-claims/Advice-about-selling-a-car-recieving-payment-via-paypal/td-p/273176?profile.language=en-gb

Dunno....seeing other issues with paypal too. 

My heads spinning.

 

Im away for  a week and he says hes away for the week from tuesday. hence the two weeks.  but still im struggiling with it.

 

Ive had numerous phone conversations with this guy also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could say pay the full amount upon collection i guess.  That way its still for sale until its paid in full.  Have to trust someone at some point....ie when i want final payment.  Bank transfer is preferable to having a load of cash to count that i cant neccesarily guarentee!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rang FirstDirect.  They said its ok to divulge sort code / account and name.  The worse someone could do is setup a direct debit.  They said not to divulge full card details!

 

I could then query any DDs and be protected.  However, they said this doesn really present itself as a problem to the banks. 

 

Its really a green light from the bank.  They said ensure you see the full balance in your account for the final payment before releasing. There is a potnetial for a delay in this appearing potentially.  However under 10k is usually easier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Richard_Nottm said:

Rang FirstDirect.  They said its ok to divulge sort code / account and name.  The worse someone could do is setup a direct debit.  They said not to divulge full card details!

 

I could then query any DDs and be protected.  However, they said this doesn really present itself as a problem to the banks. 

 

Its really a green light from the bank.  They said ensure you see the full balance in your account for the final payment before releasing. There is a potnetial for a delay in this appearing potentially.  However under 10k is usually easier.

 

Thats what I though (a fraudster can't really do much with just your acct #) but good idea to ring your bank.

As you said, don't bother with this deposit nonsense, just get him to transfer the full amount when he collects.

And, as advised, wait for it to clear before handing over the keys, etc.

These days, less than £10k should be transfered within an hour.

Make him a cup of tea!

 

When I transfered a similar amount to my solicitor last year, it was in her account (different bank to mine) in less than 10 minutes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Richard_Nottm said:

Ok, So my R32 is up for sale.

 

Im in Notts/derby. A chap rang from kent earlier in the week who says hes buying a car for his son whos finishing uni bla blah.   Wanted to get the train up today originally to view but the plan changed.  So, theres been a few calls from a mobile number.  Im then away for a week tmrw-until saturday.  He said he would arrange something soon. 

 

Hes now called today saying he wants to put a deposit on the car....likes me, the ad and various bit and bobs....wants to pay me £400 deposit and then the balance when he comes up (either cash/bank transfer or both).

 

I just need to provide my bank ac / sort code.  So, the temptation is to take this guy at face value and potentially receive a deposit.  It all just seems a bit too easy. Was at work when i took the call. All friendly and ok.  Sort of talks the im not techy, buying it for my son...just seems too easy...no difficult questions...no viewing....i said i can email a receipt...he said dont worry about it...i trust you etc....i then said when do you want to collect the car...he said a couple of weeks if ok.....

 

So, i guess i said id send details whilst at work....but now had an hour to reflect and its niggling me.

 

Is giving out a bank account / sort code irresponsible in itself?

He didnt ask for me to delist it

Didnt ask too much info but the advert is self explanatory

I could ring the guy again?  Could risk offending a potential buyer. Could be a scam.

 

Just trying to weigh it all up. Am i being too untrusting? weary?

 

Thoughts?

 

So I have recently privately sold my BMW 330D for near on 20k. Naturally with that kind of money changing hands I was very cautious, but a bank transfer using sort code and account number is fine. All someone can really do with those details is put money into your account.

 

All you need to do, and what I did, is wait to see the money in your account before handing over the keys. It's normally instant with a 5 minute delay at most. Then give them the green slip from the V5C and inform the DVLA using their online system at https://www.gov.uk/sold-bought-vehicle

Once you've done that you and he will get an email confirming the change of ownership. Then destroy the remaining part of the V5C as it's no longer valid.

 

The one thing I will say is transfer the money into another account straight away. I think people can recall money in some instances so I played it safe by moving it into a savings account the minute he drove away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, tweaked9107 said:

 

So I have recently privately sold my BMW 330D for near on 20k. Naturally with that kind of money changing hands I was very cautious, but a bank transfer using sort code and account number is fine. All someone can really do with those details is put money into your account.

 

All you need to do, and what I did, is wait to see the money in your account before handing over the keys. It's normally instant with a 5 minute delay at most. Then give them the green slip from the V5C and inform the DVLA using their online system at https://www.gov.uk/sold-bought-vehicle

Once you've done that you and he will get an email confirming the change of ownership. Then destroy the remaining part of the V5C as it's no longer valid.

 

The one thing I will say is transfer the money into another account straight away. I think people can recall money in some instances so I played it safe by moving it into a savings account the minute he drove away.

 

Thanks for the responses.  Heads spinning here.

 

Discussed with the missus and then rang him on speaker to basically ask a few questions and "potentially" provide payment details.

 

So i gave a bit of preamble..ie was as work earlier when we spoke...just a quick chat to make sure alls ok at your end and can provide payment information...hes like yes sure.  I said any questions about the car or anything you want to ask...."no....alls fine"...so i said obviously if you are paying a deposit without seeing the car it concerns me you may not like the car for some reason...."no alls fine dont worry"....i said i can send you over a standard receipt template. "hes like weeeellll if you want (not overly bothered)".....i said are you happy to collect in 2 weeks, after our respective hols....."yes.."...

 

Its like nothings coming back....but the minimum....id expect...oh im buying this for my lad and hes well excited...look forward to seeing this car.....id just expect a load of questions.....only question i can remember from another call was is the air con cold....i obviously said yes it gets serviced etc.

 

When i hung up the missus looked at me and said mmmm.....couldnt put my finger on it...firendly, relaxed chat....just a bit vague!

 

So hes either mega laid back and couldnt care less about life....or somethings slightly off...very bizarre....

 

But paranoia aside logic is saying if the banks are happy on the account details disclosure side and i see the £ in the bank before i release the car we are sorted.

 

Will ponder further. Missus has gone to walk the dog.

 

:-) Jeeez

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Similar to above, I sold my mk6 GTI in 2015 for £16k using bank transfer method without any issues.  The buyer was another enthusiast on a forum. He paid an initial £500 deposit to me by bank transfer (car unseen other than on the forum), then a few days later we met at Stansted airport (he flew down from Glasgow, I drove the car up) and he took the car out for an accompanied test drive with me and checked it all over.  Happy with it, we then we sat in the car with a laptop and he transferred the remaining money there and then, transfer was pretty instant.  Then we went off to get get a coffee and did the V5 paperwork, and exchanged other bits, MOT certificate etc, whilst my partner transferred the money via online banking into another of our accounts.  I handed over the keys and deal done.  No issues at all.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Booth11 said:

Similar to above, I sold my mk6 GTI in 2015 for £16k using bank transfer method without any issues.  The buyer was another enthusiast on a forum. He paid an initial £500 deposit to me by bank transfer (car unseen other than on the forum), then a few days later we met at Stansted airport (he flew down from Glasgow, I drove the car up) and he took the car out for an accompanied test drive with me and checked it all over.  Happy with it, we then we sat in the car with a laptop and he transferred the remaining money there and then, transfer was pretty instant.  Then we went off to get get a coffee and did the V5 paperwork, and exchanged other bits, MOT certificate etc, whilst my partner transferred the money via online banking into another of our accounts.  I handed over the keys and deal done.  No issues at all.  

 

Ok. Think my post dropped in above as you posted yours....good to hear your experience was ok....he just seemed a bit non fussed about the purchase which i find odd. See dialogue above.

 

Oh well will no doubt make a decision later....

 

I think im fairly trusting but with a common sense view to tick all the right boxes...something in my gut is just a bit rattled by what should be simple transaction....hes not even asked me to unlist it!   Do i keep taking viewings until the full amount is in the bank?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, tweaked9107 said:

 

So I have recently privately sold my BMW 330D for near on 20k. Naturally with that kind of money changing hands I was very cautious, but a bank transfer using sort code and account number is fine. All someone can really do with those details is put money into your account.

 

All you need to do, and what I did, is wait to see the money in your account before handing over the keys. It's normally instant with a 5 minute delay at most. Then give them the green slip from the V5C and inform the DVLA using their online system at https://www.gov.uk/sold-bought-vehicle

Once you've done that you and he will get an email confirming the change of ownership. Then destroy the remaining part of the V5C as it's no longer valid.

 

The one thing I will say is transfer the money into another account straight away. I think people can recall money in some instances so I played it safe by moving it into a savings account the minute he drove away.

First direct said fund transfer is as good as cash. no recall.  unsure why.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would just request that he pays the full value by Bank transfer when he comes to view / buy.

It's a shame you can't trust people.. I'm in process of selling my 6R but realistically I will probably sell to a dealer, take a bit of a hit but have peace of mind!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the tip about transferring out to another account.  Have to remember that for the future, good job I have 2 accounts eh....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now