Welcome, Guest!

Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.
Silk

Silk Lapiz Blue Manual

I've had the car for a few weeks now and have done a fair bit to it so thought I'd start a thread for it.

Spec
Jan 15, Lapiz Blue, Manual, Leather Seats, DCC and Winterpack. 18,500 miles. Paid £20,500 from a Ford franchised dealer. Seems they didnt know the car had the last two options on it. Neither did I until after I paid the deposit. 

Stock

IMG_0623.thumb.JPG.828fc4c9477d51cc1af0c4f14c37c97a.JPG

Crappy seat base (bolster collapsed inside the leather)

IMG_0622.thumb.JPG.d3a1a30183c9d44fca099f5153f86864.JPG

...mid machine polish with DAS-6, 3M Perfect it and Hexlogic pads.

5918cc6404276_download(1).thumb.png.9935977187c2c9bc8ea0553a562fae0e.png

Prep
On delivery, the first thing I did was stick it in the garage and spent the next two days giving it full detail and machine polish to get rid of the swirls and various flaws on the paintwork. That night I wrapped the upper matte-chrome grill strip as well. Booked the car into my local VW dealer for a new seat base and replacement sill plate under warranty and these were sorted without quibble. Other than that the car was perfect when I got it. 

Discover Pro

The car came with Composition media and I had already looked into upgrade options. Originally looked at the Alpine touchscreen system specifically for this car but on seeing YouTube videos of it in operation I decided against it. The touchscreen looked to be extremely laggy and there was no integration for the Nav with the MFD. So I bit the bullet and ordered a Disco Pro MIB2 from @alexretro. Took a bit to get it coded as the latest version of VCDS wouldnt associate the required ROD file due to the difference in VIN between the Disco Pro and my car. Amazingly, they looked at the issue and patched a brand new Beta release of VCDS for me within a week. Amazing service. So the Disco Pro is now properly coded with the correct options. Big shout-out to @DUB R4XX for getting in touch and coming round to my house to help with his cable. You can read more about this on my thread here: 

VCDS
There are various resources on the web about the different things you can do. I must admit there are somethings that in my opinion can be done but shouldnt (Pace car hazards = Good, Pace car indicators = Bad). In particular a fellow R owner coming onto a roundabout recently had the front indicators-always-on mod done and to me it looked like he was indicating to come round the roundabout before I realised that his indicator wasn't actually flashing. Stupid mod, destined to cause an accident or road-rage in my opinion. I've done most of the recommended ones such as five-brake-lights, brighter DRLs, dimming DRL when indicating, increase instrument cluster brightness during the day etc.

Black / Chrome & colour changes

Thought the car could use a little contrast so ordered and fitted red badgeskins to the R badges. Did the blades on the sides as well but thought it was too much so removed them again. Removed the wrap on the upper chrome grill strip and replaced the chrome mirrors with black ones. I also wrapped the collar that sits behind the VW roundel on the front grill. 

A few weeks ago I changed the wing mirrors to gloss black ones. But today, with the change of wheels and everything else, I thought the car might suit the original matte chrome ones so swapped them back and I like it better, especially with the blue bodywork. (in the first pic below you'll see that the roundel collar hasn't been wrapped either)

Black mirror caps
Photoshop.thumb.jpg.149d62b3d0f60a13b38f5b036f6e0f02.jpg

...and back to chrome

14th_May_5.thumb.jpg.aff40d2dec3e9b566d73ba8c7039d981.jpg

Wheels

After inspiration from @Stefan88 and @TomGolfRmk7 I opted for 19" GMPItalia Atoms in Polished/Anthracite. These are basically a third-party rip-off of the current version RS6 wheel but have been tweaked enough to avoid a copyright claim. These have transformed the car quite frankly and now I feel that it turns as many heads as my other motor. I have ordered 11mm Forge spacers for the rear. If I were to do it again I would have split the offsets with ET45 for the front and ET35 for the rear instead of ET45 all round but at least I can rotate the wheels to help lengthen tyre life. Whilst the wheels were off I took the opportunity to paint the brake-disc bells with silver Hammerite (after taking a wire brush to the surface rust).

Splitters
Having done a fair bit of research on these it seems the front splitter from many manufacturers is prone to breaking or snapping off with the wind etc. The Maxton Design ones look great in my view but did get some fairly strong criticism from various members on this site, but it seemed to be from those who are running lowered and heavily tuned cars. Since I don't plan to lower the car or go any further than stage1 I thought I take a chance on them. Delighted with the results. Surprised to discover that they're just a single sheet of ABS with no bottom side to them but it doesn't make any difference when they're on the car. Liked the kit so much that I later ordered the matching diffuser and fitted that shortly after. In regards to fitting these are all bolted or screwed as well as glued. I made a point of following the fitting guide for the front where it recommends that the bolts are as far forward as possible and plenty of glue is used. 

Side and rear splitters plus diffuser

14th_May_3.thumb.jpg.667f423671580a4797c7c0644ab58020.jpg

Front and side splitters

14th_May_2.thumb.jpg.d9288d01a60e8a89cbe2a5942c3ba80e.jpg

IMG_1111.thumb.jpg.041052e28ce277423563588ad164812a.jpg

14th_May_4.thumb.jpg.8775ee26912db36174f00a7fac308d3f.jpg

Upcoming
I've got the rear camera retrofit kit on order and plan to fit this myself, RSG plastic sill protectors (thanks to @GregR-125 fro sharing the info on these. Was going to go for the Lockwood ones but thought the extra bling would detract from the original LED sills), spacers for the rear wheels and an aluminium footrest all coming within the next week. I'm toying with getting the rear windows tinted to privacy glass but given that they're already a bit darker tinted than the fronts I'm not sure it's worth the hassle. May change my mind though.

'm also trying to make my mind up on a spoiler, do I want an extension like the SRS-TEC one, a big bloody wing like the REVOZPORT or a halfway house like the Oettinger...taking my time on that one. I'll update this thread as I go. 

Thanks for reading!

14th_May_1.jpg

Looks great, love what you've done with it so far. That front splitter is making me jealous, mines been sat in the garage for a month, just haven't had time to fit it 😂 

Just now, Jonnyb said:

Looks great, love what you've done with it so far. That front splitter is making me jealous, mines been sat in the garage for a month, just haven't had time to fit it 1f602.png 

Doesn't take too long. I'd say it took me about two hours to do the front including bumper on-off. That was me taking my time so I didn't arse it up!

19 hours ago, Silk said:

Doesn't take too long. I'd say it took me about two hours to do the front including bumper on-off. That was me taking my time so I didn't arse it up!

I've got a mate who owns a garage so was going to take it there and fit it on his ramps, just had no time at all. I've got that splitter and carbon rear spoiler to fit, going crazy them just sitting in the garage 😵

I was looking at the tinting as well, but for the money it costs don't think it's worth it. Can be spent elsewhere 😂

5 hours ago, Obbzi said:

How do the side skirts attach?

I've actually explained in my post above but they're glued and screwed (with self tapping bolts). 

for all the rest you drill holes and use nuts and bolts, with glue on the front also. 

1 minute ago, Privatedoc said:

Looks like a busy weekend for you !   

Got too much on! Hopefully get the spacers on as thats only a 20 minute job but the camera is probably going to take me the better part of a day as there's a lot of trim to come out and I've never done it before. Can't wait to get stuck into that as well! 😭

Camera is surprisingly good, mrs privatedoc has it on her car but I dont currently, it was one of the first options I ticked on the order    AND the golf one won't get covered in road muck like the polo one does!

photograph your install, I'm sure loads of forum users would be most interested.

J

5 minutes ago, Silk said:

Got too much on! Hopefully get the spacers on as thats only a 20 minute job but the camera is probably going to take me the better part of a day as there's a lot of trim to come out and I've never done it before. Can't wait to get stuck into that as well! 1f62d.png

Good luck!

You seem like a very capable chap, i'm sure you'll do a great job 👍