Welcome, Guest!

Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.
JamesR27

DCC with Pretoria Alloys a must?

Hi, I am looking to change my car soon and just working out spec. I really like the Pretoria silver alloys so speccing them but just wondering what standard surspension is like with them? 

I have heard the R rides better than the GTI that I currently have. Was thinking the price increases above my budget but could stretch if people think it is definitely worth it. Would get a pure white or red R to keep costs down. 

Just wondering what what people's experience is off with DCC and without? 

Desirable but not a must - provided you can cope with a bit more "jiggle" in the ride and harder/crashier responses over speed bumps and the like. Largely depends how tolerant you are and what you're coming from. Best bet is to try a 19"-equipped car without DCC - there should be plenty of demonstrators around with that upgrade - and if you can live with it over your regular routes you've saved yourself the cost. :)

Hi, I am looking to change my car soon and just working out spec. I really like the Pretoria silver alloys so speccing them but just wondering what standard surspension is like with them? 

I have heard the R rides better than the GTI that I currently have. Was thinking the price increases above my budget but could stretch if people think it is definitely worth it. Would get a pure white or red R to keep costs down. 

Just wondering what what people's experience is off with DCC and without? 

I don't like the Cadiz alloys so Pretorias were a must and as I had DCC as standard on my Cupra 280 and liked it, DCC was a default choice for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Slightly irrelevant, but I have an estate with Cadiz wheels and DCC and the suspension stays in sport mode 95% of the time. It's worth noting that the estate does ride slightly better than the hatch, guessing it's the longer body. Only time I use comfort is when old folk are in the car, or I'm transporting my bike to a sportive, and even then it isn't a must. Normal mode is pretty much never used.

May possibly be ordering another one soon, and was actually wondering the same thing. Can I get away with prets and avoid the DCC, otherwise I'd be stepping up to the £40,000 tax bracket which I won't be doing. Really not a fan of diamond cut wheels.

You're not really losing much tyre height as the overall diameter is larger, so it isn't 12.5mm of tyre lost, but only 5mm  with the Prets. Those measurements may be incorrect, but it's something like that. The Prets are also lighter than the Cadiz from what I've managed to find out, but they tyre will be slightly heavier. 

Go test drive a few cars with/without DCC and Prets and see what you think, it's a subjective thing.

I drove a fair few 7Rs while looking for mine, some with DCC and some without and was generally underwhelmed by it.....not worth ticking that option box if buying new (for me) but if it comes on a 2nd hand car then great.........but as mentioned it does depend what you're used to.

My 7R came with the 18" Cadiz and I swapped to 19" wheels a month or so ago and notice no difference. 

The car I'm picking up next week has 19" prets (estate) with no DCC). My current car has 18". Neither has DCC but I felt that the estate rode at least as well or slightly better despite having a bigger wheel...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suspect that a lot of the reason owners don't feel much difference between the ride on 18" Cadiz and the 19" Prets (or their aftermarket replacements) is that VW mostly supply the 18" on hard and unforgiving Bridgestones and the 19" on more supple Continentals. It may be helpful to bear in mind that tyre choice is crucial in terms of ride as well as noise and handling.

The good news there is that if you're unhappy with the ride you can often sort it out by careful selection of tyre rather than having to get smaller/larger wheels, at quite a saving. ;)

I have DCC on 19" Prets and it's either always in Sport or Normal.  Used Comfort about twice with oldies in the back.  TBH, even though it's adaptive etc, if push came to shove, I'd be quite happy without it, and if I was speccing a car now and had a tighter budget, it would be the one option (of the things I have now) that would get the cut.  Nice to have if funds allow, no big loss (imo) if they don't.  That said, I've always preferred suspension on the firm side, may not be the case for others. 

4 hours ago, Booth11 said:

I have DCC on 19" Prets and it's either always in Sport or Normal.  Used Comfort about twice with oldies in the back.  TBH, even though it's adaptive etc, if push came to shove, I'd be quite happy without it, and if I was speccing a car now and had a tighter budget, it would be the one option (of the things I have now) that would get the cut.  Nice to have if funds allow, no big loss (imo) if they don't.  That said, I've always preferred suspension on the firm side, may not be the case for others. 

Two Rs without DCC - 18 then 19. I'm old fashioned and want a road set-up that works everywhere. Why was/is DCC an option on the R? Coz no trickery needed for a truly amazing set-up . No time to ponce around with settings - ask the tuned Mk2 Focus RS if I was missing anything...This is where I disagree with forum members who piss around with their suspension set-up - are you mad after the multi-million pounds spent wisely be VW???????? I do have an otherwise very naughty stage one and a bit estate...

I have DCC with 18's, on the harsh Bridgestones as Leo pointed out, more often than not i'm in Comfort mode, i find it's still firm, but it absorbs the bumps really nicely on the roads around here, i find if anything on bumpy roads it can gain you more grip and traction. i save the Sport mode for smoother roads or more spirited driving i guess, there's a big difference between the two, again as Leo says, 'jiggle' sums it up perfectly! It seems a bit pointless to be jiggling around like all the time to me, it feels nicer throwing it into a corner no doubt, but just everyday driving mine goes into Comfort.

DCC was an option i wanted, i think it adds a big part of the appeal of the 7R being a great all rounder/Swiss Army Knife :) 

3 minutes ago, arthouse said:

I have DCC with 18's, on the harsh Bridgestones as Leo pointed out, more often than not i'm in Comfort mode, i find it's still firm, but it absorbs the bumps really nicely on the roads around here, i find if anything on bumpy roads it can gain you more grip and traction. i save the Sport mode for smoother roads or more spirited driving i guess, there's a big difference between the two, again as Leo says, 'jiggle' sums it up perfectly! It seems a bit pointless to be jiggling around like all the time to me, it feels nicer throwing it into a corner no doubt, but just everyday driving mine goes into Comfort.

DCC was an option i wanted, i think it adds a big part of the appeal of the 7R being a great all rounder/Swiss Army Knife :) 

I don't 'jiggle around' on 19s in my estate. if you need comfort mode to gain more grip and traction then not a sports car set-up with DCC. 

Just now, Bob said:

I don't 'jiggle around' on 19s in my estate. if you need comfort mode to gain more grip and traction then not a sports car set-up with DCC. 

That would depend on the roads you drive on i'd say. Also, if you're not used to the Comfort mode, as you don't have it, you wouldn't notice the difference. The Golf R isn't the only car out there with adaptive damping as an option these days, i'm sure there's a reason for that!

At the end of the day it's an option though isn't it, not for some, is for some .. 

5 minutes ago, arthouse said:

That would depend on the roads you drive on i'd say. Also, if you're not used to the Comfort mode, as you don't have it, you wouldn't notice the difference. The Golf R isn't the only car out there with adaptive damping as an option these days, i'm sure there's a reason for that!

At the end of the day it's an option though isn't it, not for some, is for some .. 

Like I say I'm old fashioned - when I am dictator I will repossess any sports cars specified with anything that says 'comfort mode'. May as well buy another (French?) car. 

Now McLaren's adaptive suspension I may be persuaded to try - no 'comfort mode' mind.