Welcome, Guest!

Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.
Philgr

3rd Time Lucky

Hi first post on the forum, have been lurking for the past 12 months so hello all 👋

I am about the order what will be my 3rd Golf, I have previously owned a Golf VR6, and an R32 both of which while functional, I quickly got bored of, not really sure why 🤔 but they were both missing compared to other cars I have owned.

I have been without a fast car on the drive for the last 15 months when I sold my Audi S4 after the dealer asked if I wanted to sell, and in looking for a replacement the golf appears to tick all the boxes for what I'm after.

Are there any owners on here that have like me previously owned a VR6, R32 and can provide a comparison ?

Im current discussing a deal with my local dealer for the following spec

• Golf R 5 Door - 7 Spd DSG
  • 19’’ Pretoria Black
  • White Silver Metallic
  • Black Vienna Leather
  • Keyless Entry
  • Dynamic Chassis Control
  • Rear View Camera
  • Dynoaudio Excite Sound Pack

fingers crossed I will get the order placed this coming week and look forward to joining the R community.

Phil G

Welcome. I'm 15months and 10k in and love my DSG R. There's a recent thread "is the R boring?" Would maybe answer some of your concerns.
Your spec is great, I have Vienna leather, DCC and dynaudio. If I had to get rid of one it would be the leather it's a bit disappointing and I think the standard trim is as good

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Hi first post on the forum, have been lurking for the past 12 months so hello all 

I am about the order what will be my 3rd Golf, I have previously owned a Golf VR6, and an R32 both of which while functional, I quickly got bored of, not really sure why  but they were both missing compared to other cars I have owned.

I have been without a fast car on the drive for the last 15 months when I sold my Audi S4 after the dealer asked if I wanted to sell, and in looking for a replacement the golf appears to tick all the boxes for what I'm after.

Are there any owners on here that have like me previously owned a VR6, R32 and can provide a comparison ?

Im current discussing a deal with my local dealer for the following spec

• Golf R 5 Door - 7 Spd DSG
  • 19’’ Pretoria Black
  • White Silver Metallic
  • Black Vienna Leather
  • Keyless Entry
  • Dynamic Chassis Control
  • Rear View Camera
  • Dynoaudio Excite Sound Pack

fingers crossed I will get the order placed this coming week and look forward to joining the R community.

Phil G

Welcome to the group Phil! I've never had an R32 or VR6 but my mk 7 R is fantastic! The breadth of its abilities is unbelievable - it's truly a Swiss Army knife of cars - quiet and comfortable on a long run and a hoot in Race mode on back roads and of course with its 4wd, brilliant in the wet. I ordered mine late 2015 for a March 1st 2016 delivery. I got a quote through Carwow which meant I saved nearly £5k - that basically paid for all my extras so I'd recommend Carwow or you might even get a better price through Drive the Deal - definitely worth it! My spec is slightly different to current models as it's a mk7 and VW changed things on the current spec but mine is as follows:

Manual

Tech pack (Discover Pro sat nav and Dynaudio)

19" Pretorias

Lapiz blue

DCC

Darker tints

Winter pack

I also got a boot liner, door sill protectors and the obligatory tank of fuel out of them!

Hope you enjoy your car and this forum (it's great in here - a massive amount of knowledge!)

845707b980b1d51c4cacff688bcf7a65.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Phil

Nice spec indeed. I agree with Rob about the leather seats, but that's a bit of a "marmite thing".

The stock sound of the R can't compare to the R32, but it is a lot more refined and the ride/handling is better.

The tech in the 7.5 is great if you are into the digital dash thing..

Was your R32 a Mk 4 or Mk 5 ?

I had a Mk 5 R32 (with DSG and Recaros) - can't say I ever got bored of that soundtrack ☺️

Thanks for the welcome,

My R32 was a Mk5 and deff one of the best sounding cars I have owned, it's poss I never really clicked with it because I parted company with a lotus Exige, and even to this day I wish I had kept that car and put it in the garage and bough a run around.

My last car was an Audi S4 with DSG which I loved, that car also has a great sound, I'm hoping the new R will be a smaller more fun version of the S4

@ Philgr - No great sound as standard with the R I'm afraid, but check out the "Modify your 7R" topic and you'll find numerous options - some of which won't break the bank - to improve the soundtrack on what after all is "only" a turbo'd 2-litre 4-pot. The rest of the car's as supplied is pretty entertaining already although some say it's so competent it's boring. But there are remedies available for that too. You might like to take a gander at my upgrade thread:

Enjoy your R!

Quick update to this thread

Deal is done, deposit is paid, just waiting for my order number now so I can track the build

Only thing missing from my build spec was black wing mirrors, so need to get a pair of aftermarket covers, this was purely to keep the MMRP below the 40K so not to trigger the expensive road tax bracket.

lots of reading to do 👍

On 8/19/2017 at 12:41, Philgr said:

Quick update to this thread

Deal is done, deposit is paid, just waiting for my order number now so I can track the build

Only thing missing from my build spec was black wing mirrors, so need to get a pair of aftermarket covers, this was purely to keep the MMRP below the 40K so not to trigger the expensive road tax bracket.

lots of reading to do 1f44d.png

Congrats Phil, great spec, great car.