Welcome, Guest!

Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.
Sign in to follow this  
Privatedoc

Ayrshire Plod.......Respect & Kudos !

An open letter to Ayrshire Roads Policing Division:-

I was passing Grassyards interchange on the A77 above speed limit, you quite rightly stopped me and were about to issue my penalty when I informed the officer I was sorry as I was taking pain-relief medication to my terminally ill mother and had not noticed my speed of 83 in a 70 limit

He immediately told me to watch my speed and hasten on my way to my mother.

I just want to publicly thank the officer for his compassion, discretion and of course not delaying me. I was wrong and will be careful of my speed in future.

It’s nice to know that they are human and only have our safety at heart.

That is all.........except ACC will be used !!

Good to hear!

Although if he wanted to be a complete arse he could of done you driving without due care as well as speeding if you had told him you hadn't noticed what speed you were doing.

I almost had that once in my younger days but just the fact the copper couldn't 100% tell how fast I was going (no gun and he was just parked up) he let me off. I was doing more than the 30 limit though but no clue how much over . It was 1am though so not school kicking out time or anything. Not that that's an excuse.

Another time I was on my way back to RAF Marham from the watching a mid week evening footy match and as I was leaving a place called Horncastle in Lincolnshire, into the national limit, I noticed a car in the distance through the rear view mirror gaining on me at a great rate of knots. By the time he caught me, it was pitch black cos no street lights on these country roads, I was in my mk 2 gti 16v and for once couldn't be bothered to drive fast. So was sat around 55 mph.

The car behind was that close to my backend I could barely make out his headlights, it felt like he was pushing me to race.

Now at the time I knew these roads like the back of my hand and eventually got that pissed off with him I dropped a gear or two to blow him away. I was right on my limit through all the bends, and he was glued to my backend. So after 10 mins of this game of 'kiss chase' I thought to myself..... he's a pretty good driver if he can stick with me around these roads.......

just as I thought that the blues and twos went on!!!!

Wan**er

I pulled over and got in his car awaiting handing my license over.

My GF at the time thought it was hilarious because I had been winding her up after she got caught via a gatso only weeks earlier. So was sat there very smug indeed.

Anyway the copper then proceeded to tell me that my driving and how I handled the car through those bends was incredibly good and the fact I didn't drop below 75 but went around the bends without crossing the solid white lines was a good thing to see. But also to lecture me on 'Lincolnshire roads plus speed equals death'

He let me off with a producer and told me that although it's clear I had done advanced driving etc that I should slow down a touch.

Needless to say I didn't mention I thought he was goading me to race etc as at one point we were touching 85/90mph.

He also said that if he caught me again he would do me! Haha.

I got back in my car with a big smug grin on my face and told the GF he had let me off!
Her face was a picture. Priceless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is always good to hear about common sense and compassion ruling in circumstances such as this; I'm sure some of us have been on the end of the opposite side to this coin.

Yep, these traffic guys are human too (mainly😁). Some of the stuff they see when attending incidents is pretty grim. So when you get a real world response like this, it does a great deal more than NIP for SP30 & a fine. In my defence, I have two family members in traffic police, I hear the stories first hand. On one occasion, my family member had stopped an elderly gent and found he had failed the roadside eye test by just a little. Instead of booking him, he was taken to a local optician to get some specs made "in about an hour", before being taken back to his car & allowed to continue his journey.

6 hours ago, JaseW said:

Good to hear!

Although if he wanted to be a complete arse he could of done you driving without due care as well as speeding if you had told him you hadn't noticed what speed you were doing.

I almost had that once in my younger days but just the fact the copper couldn't 100% tell how fast I was going (no gun and he was just parked up) he let me off. I was doing more than the 30 limit though but no clue how much over emoji51.png. It was 1am though so not school kicking out time or anything. Not that that's an excuse.

Another time I was on my way back to RAF Marham from the watching a mid week evening footy match and as I was leaving a place called Horncastle in Lincolnshire, into the national limit, I noticed a car in the distance through the rear view mirror gaining on me at a great rate of knots. By the time he caught me, it was pitch black cos no street lights on these country roads, I was in my mk 2 gti 16v and for once couldn't be bothered to drive fast. So was sat around 55 mph.

The car behind was that close to my backend I could barely make out his headlights, it felt like he was pushing me to race.

Now at the time I knew these roads like the back of my hand and eventually got that pissed off with him I dropped a gear or two to blow him away. I was right on my limit through all the bends, and he was glued to my backend. So after 10 mins of this game of 'kiss chase' I thought to myself..... he's a pretty good driver if he can stick with me around these roads.......

Wan**er

My GF at the time thought it was hilarious because I had been winding her up after she got caught via a gatso only weeks earlier. So was sat there very smug indeed.

Anyway the copper then proceeded to tell me that my driving and how I handled the car through those bends was incredibly good and the fact I didn't drop below 75 but went around the bends without crossing the solid white lines was a good thing to see. But also to lecture me on 'Lincolnshire roads plus speed equals death'

He let me off with a producer and told me that although it's clear I had done advanced driving etc that I should slow down a touch.

Needless to say I didn't mention I thought he was goading me to race etc as at one point we were touching 85/90mph.

I got back in my car with a big smug grin on my face and told the GF he had let me off!

Lol had very similar a few times.

had a spec run from Scampton - Woodhall Spa - Coningsby - Marham and back to Scampton.

managed to get stopped twice and just have a warning, luckily not same lot:)

for some reason they build airfields right beside great back roads :)

only experience ive had with traffic police.. turned right at a set of lights following 10 other cars all going right,walked into the road andstopped me and told me i was caught on camera at a no right turn and would be recieving 3 points... checked over my dash cam and he was right,it was a no right turn.but a van on the opposite side of the road blocked their patrol cars view just as my plate would have been in view 😅.

I have never had points, but been close... 

I remember a year or two ago, driving home late at night, had been to see a friend who wasn't doing so well. Straight empty motorways through countryside most of the way home with no traffic and a drive of about 30 odd miles. Needless to say I was going well - too well. Doing between 80-100 the whole way, and closer to the top end of that range! 

i went under an overpass at a fair rate of knots, unlucky enough that an unmarked 5 series came on from the sliproad behind me and sat behind me for 5 or so miles. He pulled me over eventually, asked me where I'd been etc... he said he'd followed for a while to see if I twigged on and slowed (I didn't).

He ticketed me for 80 mph in a 70, and I did the speed course - no points. I was clearly in the wrong and had no excuses, so he really could have been a lot worse and I appreciated it. 

Good to hear!

I almost had that once in my younger days but just the fact the copper couldn't 100% tell how fast I was going (no gun and he was just parked up) he let me off. I was doing more than the 30 limit though but no clue how much over . It was 1am though so not school kicking out time or anything. Not that that's an excuse.

Wan**er

I know Marham quite well - I used to visit that "compound" over the other side of the airfield regularly in the late 90s..........

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I know Marham quite well - I used to visit that "compound" over the other side of the airfield regularly in the late 90s..........

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I spent 4 years there!

Are you an ex gods trade? If it's the 'compound' I'm thinking of.......

Its nice to hear the police were ok with you there are a lot of good ones out there .

I think if you have / give  attitude when getting pulled over they can be not so nice ,  quite rightly so to.

I know a few of our locals and they are good guys just doing a job , ok sometimes they are quite sneaky where they park the unmarked cars to do speed checks but I have seen the after effects of speed and dangerous driving and its not good .

I once got sort of uneccesarily TPACd in my old Type R.  I was cracking on as was late picking a mate up (no excuse i know).

All of sudden some cars popped out of nowhere behind me so eased off sensing something wasnt right...one flew past with lights on to slow me and the other rolled up behind me.....they were all full of adrenaline and slightly angry.  I think they were looking for someone else and i came across there path at reasonable speed and they put two and two together.   They were soon rushing off again. A mate of mine was waiting outside his house waiting to be picked up seeing all the blue lights....haha! said i knew it was you!

On the flip side i did a motor appreciation course that came with the Type R....i flew around all day under the tuition of a police driving instructor which meant blasting around country roads at high speed.......looking at vanishing points, sitting on the wrong side of the road for a better view ahead.....Got through a tank of fuel.

Nice to have the opportunity to come across ok if pulled up though.

I got stopped by the chief inspector many years ago he was in a black jag s-type I think,i was in my golf 1.8t at the time and went winging past him at 140 not realising it was the cops until 2 seconds after I passed him the blues came on, I just thought SHIT I'm shafted here, I pulled over in a layby and I got the biggest roasting of my life off him, must have been a 10 min lecture at least then he turns to me and says lucky for you my camera wasn't switched on and I'm now late far a meeting so take that as a lesson and be on your way but I will be watching out for you! Never ever be as lucky again, and I sold the car a week later so he couldn't spot me again 😂

Everyone seems so remorseful for their speeding offences. 

Christ, my last one was on the M74 - the quietest motorway in the UK, on a 1.5 mile arrow straight with a bridge at the end, with no other vehicles in front or behind for at least half a mile each way, perfect driving conditions, at about 7:30pm on a summers sunday night , driving 8 hours down south for a course. 

The camera van on the bridge was so far away, I couldn't even see it. 

82 mph. 

Really?

Well I have no remorse for that one. Demonstrate how that is tangibly increasing road safety!

definafly better to be caught by a human and then you at least stand some chance of putting things in context!

Not been done by the cops, but got hit by a mobile camera, doing 62 in a short stretch of 50 limit on an otherwise NSL dual carriageway on a sunny day with no other cars in sight. My fault, missed the 50 sign. Drove the same road a month later and no more 50, just NSL all the way. Hands up I was speeding, but really can't see how I was dangerous to anyone else or even myself, especially as within a few weeks the same road was a 70... Got a speed awareness course. Now that's three hours of my life that I'll never get back.

Did a bikesafe course a few years back

Great day, and the cop with me had the attitude 30 = 30, 40 = 40, NSL = make an effort, ride with awareness and don't take the piss... Kept telling me to go faster and stop riding like a tart!

Taught me a lot about observation and road positioning, safety bubbles and all that.

He was like a moto gp rider on the road, but on a big marked Beemer.

Don't get speed awareness courses here in Scotland. 

However, we also don't get the new england and wales scheme of sending your dash cam footage to the police of motorists you don't feel are driving correctly and grassing them up! 

Peugeot drivers are gonna have a field day! 😄😄😄

Also, wheel clamping is illegal in Scotland, so its not all bad! 😄