Welcome, Guest!

Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.
Tom

Hold on for options on pre-enjoyed R Estate ?

Hi,

Currently watching out for an R Estate within budget (24K) and unsure whether to hold on for the most optioned-up car, or accept what's on the market at the moment. I like the idea of the pan-roof as have had this on an estate in the past, leather has been a feature on most of my cars but appears to be quite a rare option on the R Estates. Was cost the likely only concern which stopped new buyers adding leather, or is it not as luxurious as merc/bmw leather ?

Any thoughts ?

Thanks, Tom

I waited to get an estate with leather, but missed out on one with a pan roof (one came up with both a week after I’d bought the car (typical!).. I would imagine the reason was cost as compared to Audi/bmw leather costs the option is very pricey and you could add several other options for that price!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn’t get the leather option on my FL estate as the leather on the couple of R’s I saw at dealers was rubbish. The new one looked like it already had a 20k miles worth off stretch in it and the 1 year old used one looked like it had cheap vinyl seat covers on it. 

Coming from a Merc it wasn’t worth it at all. Each to their own though!

Hi Tom and welcome to the forum.

I have a pre loved R estate with a reasonable spec including a panoramic roof and it's great, i wouldnt get a wagon without it.

Having had leather on my last 3 cars I was happy to go with the standard cloth. The leather smells great but it's so cold in winter and too hot in the summer it's also an expensive option.

I'd stick to what you really want and keep searching, 1 will come up and I would bet it will happen before you could get a new build😀

Good luck with the search.

On my first estate I spec’d leather but no pano. Never rated the leather tbh, not great quality for how much VW charge. It was sadly stolen so when finding a replacement I went for cloth which I much prefer. It also came with the pano roof which is great.

Hope you find what you’re looking for....

I moved from a BMW F31 Hearse with leather to the Golf Hearse with cloth.

i did not like the VW leather when we first checked out the golfs.

very happ with the cloth and looking forward to not getting in to a car with cold leather seats come winter.

personally for the Estate the pano roof is a must, it really elevates the look of the estate and great for travelling with dog in the back.

I have an ex-demo estate with pano-roof and leather.  The roof is great - well worth holding out for. Really makes the cabin lighter and for the couple of days a year when you want to feel the air, it's great.

Leather? Nah, as others have said, it doesn't feel too premium & is very expensive new. But as it came with the other ex-demo toys I wasn't complaining :afro:

Was also worried about the "too cold in winter/ hot in summer" thing, but tbh heated seats address the cold issue (except for the first few minutes) and I was surprised to find that it wasn't too hot this summer. So personally those concerns have not materialised.  I'd be happy with either leather or cloth, but wouldn't pay more for leather.

Would also recommend DCC and Dynaudio but, as with all options, opinions vary - search for more discussion.

Worth noting that (some) VW delears seemed to be rubbish at publishing the correct spec on Autotrader (or they were when I was looking 12 months ago). I gave up waiting for a vehicle with DCC but then when I phoned around the next best options, happened to stumble across a couple with it, but not listed in the ad!  So worth a call to confirm exact spec if the main aspects of the vehicle (age, mileage and any essential options) match your search.

Personally leather for the golf would be a no.

I would get pano roof and dynaudio if I got a estate again (currently have one on lease) - although tbh I probably wouldn't bother with a r full stop, Personally think the build quality is a bit crap, apart from that the car is great, but I am starting to get squeeks and rattles which I wouldn't expect after 4.5k miles, seem to hear traffic going past me the noise has increased, which maybe means window not closing properly / (or door) or as snug as it should (got less wind noise on my 6 year old astra).

I may just have a crap one / friday afternoon one, as most seem built fine tbh. SO I would say test drive vital in my opinion, although its hard to hear these things when having fun flooring the throttle and seeing how fast it goes.

I have cloth, which is fine, and a pano roof. Unlike everyone else here, I’m completely unmoved by it. It’s fine, but I certainly wouldn’t pay for it. Although my niblings were very impressed, so maybe if you have kids or maybe regular passengers.

What I would hold out for is DCC, which is brilliant, and the standard fit stereo is very mediocre. I’d absolutely not buy one again without the dynaudio.

I’ve also got the climate screen, which ruins mobile signal in summer, but I’m hoping will be worth it in the winter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 10/10/2017 at 20:22, Russellj said:

Worth noting that (some) VW delears seemed to be rubbish at publishing the correct spec on Autotrader (or they were when I was looking 12 months ago). I gave up waiting for a vehicle with DCC but then when I phoned around the next best options, happened to stumble across a couple with it, but not listed in the ad!  So worth a call to confirm exact spec if the main aspects of the vehicle (age, mileage and any essential options) match your search.

Tony, as in another post there is one out there somewhere, I had similar problem wanted certain options, and car details on the VW and Auto trader site never listed all.

I ended up searching all used held by the major groups, ie Listers,  Marshall,  Sytner, Robinsons, again not all spec listed, I expressed an interest ie replied to one of their cars, saying I was looking for DCC, Dynoaudio etc, they soon came back to me with what they did have with options I was after or near.

Keep looking.

On 10/10/2017 at 16:43, Microbe said:

Hi Tom and welcome to the forum.

I have a pre loved R estate with a reasonable spec including a panoramic roof and it's great, i wouldnt get a wagon without it.

Having had leather on my last 3 cars I was happy to go with the standard cloth. The leather smells great but it's so cold in winter and too hot in the summer it's also an expensive option.

I'd stick to what you really want and keep searching, 1 will come up and I would bet it will happen before you could get a new build1f600.png

Good luck with the search.

Fully agree.  My facelift R is spartan spec with just pano, privacy and cloth which I must say I prefer after my last 3 full leather nappa cars.

The standard options on the FLR would of added £8k on my last Macan so theres no such thing as a crap low spec R

The r is well specced as standard, echo other comments above, some of the extras are nice to haves, but tbh with mine being lease spec (no options) I don't feel like I have a crap car, the standard stereo isn't bad, took a while to loosen up, as said, dynaudio would be nice to have, but I'm not massivly bothered, I can't really have the stereo loud anyway due to years of clubbing, but have heard the sound quality on dynaudio is a step up.

I would say the stereo in the 7.5R is similar to dynaudio in my mates mk5 gti.