Grant

Grant's Pure White R Journey

Hello all!

I've been lurking here for a few months having made the decision to part with my mk5 R32 after nearly 4 years and 55k miles. 

Having not been enthused about the 6 or 7 R's in the past, the mk7 R took my fancy a few years back when my friend's lady got one and I experienced it first hand in all it's glory. The blue ambient lighting tickled my fancy more than 'race mode' I think... After returning to Uni this year and still managing to secure a good income working part time in my medical field I realised I could manage an R and still put some away for the future.. Keeps my lady happy!

The R32 was getting on at 91k with my only issue being the steering rack being changed and basic servicing in my ownership I traded in for a 2016 R in pure white on the 19th of October!

I believe the R belonged to a member on here after I stalked the name on the V5. His only mods being Audi 12v plug and cheap and nasty carbon paddle extensions.

The R32 - not even nearly up to date - progress thread on R32OC: http://www.r32oc.com/topic/90378-grants-diamond-black-mk5-progress/

9k9uA.jpg

I miss the noise (but not as much as I expected to probably due to not missing the sheer un-subtleness of the res-delete) and I really miss the Recaro wingbacks.

But I made extra selling them separately - an offer I could not refuse. 

I was between a glacier white S3 and the pure white Golf R. I was swayed by the R's interior design over the S3 (seemed a bit bland), more aggressive exterior and countless comparisons saying the R is sharper. The only thing i preferred about the S3 was the badge I guess!

Enough rambling, having  had the car for five weeks I have jumped into the world of personalisation rather quickly, purchasing a Maxton Design V2 splitter days before collecting the R.

It's a 2016 DSG model in pure white, cloth/alcantara/leather interior and cadiz 18". Not the highest spec out there but white was my first choice by far, so much so it was chosen over a reflex silver R with leather & pretoria alloys. Still wouldn't go back! 

I managed to push for app-connect to be enabled for free as part of the deal too! A must for me. The free data plug was cool for 3 minutes. 

First photos I got after a rainy Scottish day after collection:

9II07.jpg

9I8w5.jpg

9Ijfb.jpg

9IipT.jpg

2016 model extras: Winter pack, discover navigation (DAB, blue R theme, car net & performance monitor), mk7.5 frameless rear-view mirror, colour DIS, park pilot, LED interior lighting, LED headlights.. And maybe some I've forgotten.

Plans:

App Connect enabled (Apple Car Play)
Audi 12v plug
OEM cargo net
Felt lined driver-side cubby & sun glasses holder
Brushed steel DSG paddles
VCDS tweaks - pace car indicators, acoustic confirmation, FIS functions
Dash cam with stealth mount

Maxton Design front splitter, side skirts, rear side splitters

Maxton Design rear centre diffuser
Gloss black front grill

Gloss black lower bumper trim
Front bumper inserts
AliExpress door latch covers

AliExpress dead pedal
Driver-side door pocket net
Armrest storage tray
Badgeskins visor covers

Brushed black aluminium DSG paddle extensions
Gloss black engine cover trims
19" Pretoria Alloys in black or Spielberg Alloys
Wheel spacers
Wind deflectors
Private reg
Resonator delete
Automatic boot pop system
Dewiper + glass grommet
OEM reversing camera
Door warning lights
Helix plug-in-play sub
Dynaudio tweeter covers

APR carbon intake

Turbo Technics intake hose

APR stage 1 high torque map

Aaaand the mod bug kicked in..

My dash-cam with a 'Stealth Mount' as the standard mount didn't fit behind the deeper frameless 7.5 mirror:

90PC1.jpg

Replaced the previous owners paddles with something a little nicer:

90FwK.jpg

Felt lined the drivers cubby & added a cargo net to the inside edge of the drivers pocket for my wallet (card holder):

90vKQ.jpg

90DhH.jpg

90uMx.jpg

Various tweaks in VCDS including pacecar lights:

Maxton Design V2 front splitter:

90SwA.jpg

90Oh0.jpg

Fitted in the dark by myself and a friend! We under estimated how long it would take and it gets dark early these days.. 

I love it, feel it adds aggression to the front end, now it's made me add the skirts and rear splitters onto my list.

So I was planning going down the APR stage 1 route after the new year but a black Friday 25% off APR at my preferred tuners popped up on my newsfeed, well, I just had to make use of that saving.. It would be rude not to! The lady was on board too! 

Off we went on Friday evening:

90s4b.jpg

Oh and can't forget this for the cold winter weather! Bought for the R32, bloody metal gear shifters!

903P7.jpg

That's it for now, there's more bought or to come but only when I get free time and dry days to do so!

10 hours ago, E-V-A-N-S said:

Car is looking good and you're certainly not hanging about with the mods.

Why wait 😋

Edited by Grant

Print out from the remap:

9kQID.jpg

374.1bhp & 417.6lb-ft torque! 99ron (I live next to a Shell with V-Power and work next to Tesco with momentum) 

It's a whole new beast.. Needs tyres as the stock Potenzas are getting low and are bad enough in the rain/cold temperatures.

On 27/11/2017 at 22:21, Grant said:

I was between a glacier white S3 and the pure white Golf R. I was swayed by the R's interior design over the S3 (seemed a bit bland), more aggressive exterior and countless comparisons saying the R is sharper. The only thing i preferred about the S3 was the badge I guess!

Welcome Grant.

A few of my ex-friends are all getting a bit fat and old and deciding that Audi S3/S4s are the future. Interesting you thought the interior on the Golf was nicer. The Audi interior is certainly a fine place to be. Handling is pretty well debated and the general consensus is the Golf is superior.

Looks like a good list of mods in the offing.

On 04/12/2017 at 08:18, Danno said:

Welcome Grant.

A few of my ex-friends are all getting a bit fat and old and deciding that Audi S3/S4s are the future. Interesting you thought the interior on the Golf was nicer. The Audi interior is certainly a fine place to be. Handling is pretty well debated and the general consensus is the Golf is superior.

Looks like a good list of mods in the offing.

I guess the S3 is more mature, whatever the hell that means..

The interior quality was the same, but the S3/A3 dash is quite bare and doesn't flow like the R's. The controls on the centre console are cool though. The shape of the cluster surround is also odd to be and the round vents on the dash look like eyes. Piano black and blue ambient lighting did it for me! 

I also never regret it when i see an S3 but I feel I'd have an inferior car when i see and RS3 while owning an S3. 

My stage 1, high output R takes care of that!

1 minute ago, Sean_96 said:

Did the dealer activate the app connect for you? do they usually charge for this and is it worthwhile doing?

cheers

Yes they did, for not extra cost. They had to order and fit something not 100% sure, he left it to the techs but it worked after that. There's an activation key in a DVD box so I'm not sure on what they had to "fit" but heyho!