ReapSTAR

Oil consumption

Hi guys, was just wondering how often you all top up your oil and how much you use when topping it up.

Reason I ask is, I have completed around 2500 miles since my last service and the oil light has come on, is this normal?

Should I be using this much oil??

Thank you kindly in advance for your helpful replies.

My 16 plate stage 2 has done 3k since service and is still on the max.
Probably depends on how the cars used but I have heard of some using a litre every 1500 miles being normal.
Best top it up and check it every week to get an idea of how much it’s actually using.

2 hours ago, ReapSTAR said:

Hi guys, was just wondering how often you all top up your oil and how much you use when topping it up.

Reason I ask is, I have completed around 2500 miles since my last service and the oil light has come on, is this normal?

Should I be using this much oil??

Thank you kindly in advance for your helpful replies.

I always keep a litre bottle in the boot but not had to top up a drop yet in 16.5k miles (28 months).  I do a lot of short trips as well as longer trips.  Oil and coolant gets checked regularly.  Don’t forget it’s best to check it after a short drive and on level ground. 

45 minutes ago, marshy said:

My 16 plate stage 2 has done 3k since service and is still on the max.
Probably depends on how the cars used but I have heard of some using a litre every 1500 miles being normal.
Best top it up and check it every week to get an idea of how much it’s actually using.

really some use a litre of oil in 1500 miles and thats normal ?

People who drive their car hard on short runs when cold tend to use oil.
It used to be a figure in the handbook stating up to 1 litre for 1000 miles was acceptable!!
Wouldn’t be happy if mine was using a litre in 5k though.

1 hour ago, GrayMK7R said:

When i changed the oil with VW quantum mine burned a bit, with the Shell Helix that VW have put in, it doesnt burn a drop. 

VW put Shell Helix in? 😲 

3 hours ago, Darren said:

That's the official line from VW.  Many people (myself included) regard that as excessive and indicates the rings aren't sealing/scraping properly. 

My R has not burnt any oil so far (1,500Km, mostly short runs, some enthusiastic bursts when the oil is properly warmed).

Thought most people checked fluids every couple of weeks.

Do people still rely on warning lights instead of checking?

i know both my kids never bother and they both laugh when they come round mine and I check their cars over, including tyre pressures

Thought most people checked fluids every couple of weeks.

Do people still rely on warning lights instead of checking?

i know both my kids never bother and they both laugh when they come round mine and I check their cars over, including tyre pressures

I know...

The dying art of checking your car periodically. Something we all used to do weekly (or more if you had an older car!).

Modern cars are considered to be almost self managing/sealed units.

13 hours ago, Amir7R said:

VW put Shell Helix in? 1f632.png 

I think a lot of VW dealers are using Shell Helix now, I know of 3 people with Golfs who have just used different dealers for service and they have all used Shell. 

Consumption should settle down as mileage increases (obviously not forever :) ).  Best to check regularly - oldskool bruv!

Dave