OvettC

Cross Climate / Winter Tyres

Hi,

My R Estate arrives this Thursday and while we are still in the middle of a cold snap I've been looking into tyres that will perform well in these conditions.

After a bit of back and forth I realise the main challenge is that 98% of the time it's just bloody freezing in the winter, and then 1% of the time we get ice, sometimes (rarely down here in the South West) we might get snow for the other 1%.

Coupled with the beginning of winter and the end being somewhere between 3c and 9c, it strikes me that these Michelin Cross Climate + might be the best "winter" tyre that I can fit before it goes too gloomy and cold and still have perhaps 80% of the "summer time grip" until it goes properly bitter and the same for coming out the other side before I refit summer tyres.

Does anyone have any experience of these on their R? I'm actually deaf, though not completely but this also makes me quite sensitive to road noise as well, so any feedback on this would be appreciated.  This would be 18" only.

Not as good as best summer tyre, not as good as best winter tyre ... but plenty good enough for south of UK .

I would not wish to run these tyres up in the North of England or Scotland but, living in Kent, these are just fine and save the need for another set of wheels. 

Not a patch on the TS-860 but far better than any premium summer tyre, most of which are utterly useless in 1/2" of snow or the merest touch of ice.

I shall probably be flamed for daring to suggest that the Continental CPC-5 of Michelin equivelent is anything less than perfect in four inches of snow, but ... just look at the Uk after just one inch of snow!

Noise is better than the Bridgestones fitted by VW but what isn't?

I'm on Cross-Climates, also down in the South-West, mutt'n'Jeff too, and am just completing my 2nd winter on them. Very happy user indeed, they're worlds apart from the awful Bridgestones you're likely to get fitted as standard which are both noisier and far less grippy. Apart from high summer when their hard and greasy compound just about scrapes by. But I do use a summer tyre too on 19" wheels, Goodyear F1 A3s - though I plan to upgrade to Michelin PS4Ss asap. I think you'll be well content with CCs, unless you're in the Scottish Highlands or Snowdonia I doubt you'll ever see enough ice or snow to outwit them.

Happy motoring!

I ran CCs on my last Audi A3 and I live out in the borders area of Northumberland.  I will be fitting them to my Cadiz for next winter once I swap my MPS4' on to the new Prets

I used the CCs across two winters and the intervening summer.  They were quieter than the MPS tyres I took off and coped well on a front wheel drive car in all weathers, including a good couple of inches of snow mixed with ice on untreated back roads on more than a few occasions.

They were more than adequate for our meagre winters and as long as you drive to the prevailing conditions you will not find their limit (the majority of the UK doesn't warrant full winters... this is not the Alps or Scandinavia!!), I can also say that as a spirited driver I experienced good levels of grip and control in the rain and on hot days also.

Also the wear on them was great, 15000 miles covered (mixed driving including regular motorway jaunts down to Somerset and back) when I got rid of the car and they still had plenty of tread left on 'em.

I really rate them!

Thanks guys, really useful feedback.

Given that my route takes me through the Quantocks on most days I think Cross Climates will be the answer for me, I've watched just about every type of car (Range Rovers included) not come out facing the intended direction of travel on these roads.

image.thumb.png.4f6f94a3bc35c8d783fe65adfa909c2d.png

I've got cross climates on one of my cars and the good thing about them is they stay on all year and do a reasonable job all year.

The bad bit is they are rubbish compared to the full winters I've got on the R so if you're going to the effort of 2 sets of tyres get some proper winter tyres.

It really does depend where you live, frequency of snow, depth and how quickly it's cleared.

my wife's car is on winters but since last few years (4 or so) I have kept 3 season tyres on (aka summers).

this year my PZeros were totally fine with -9c and about 10 inches of snow.

i am relatively close to decent Aroads, the M54 and M6, so roads are usually cleared quickly.

i was originally interested by the standard of all season / cross climate tyres, however sizes are quite restricted for 19's and if I was still living in north Scotland or N Yorks then would buy full winters.

quite a few winters have had lovely warm driving days, and great having summers on then :)

I'm in the north west highlands and this winter we've been experiencing the longest spell of snow for a good few years, and with depths up to 12". The r has been coping on its original bridgestones (c5k in) but I'm looking at cross climate + when they need replacing. Mostly we get cold and wet here through the autumn/ winter with a bit of snow and the reviews for the cc+ suggest they'd fit the bill well. On my previous Octavia scout I had all seasons and that was a very effective combination. 

I run cc's and find them excellent but I'm also Scotland. They were recommended by my brother in law as he's a manager of kwik fit branch for 28 years. Michelin have been taking most of the kwik fit senior staff round a track in their demo R with a stunt driver and scaring the crap out of them. They use a 5 door Lapiz on cc's to demo the tyres and my brother in law came back raving about them. 

I'm thinking about replacing my current Winter tyres (Dunlop Wintersport 5) with these whenever they wear out (probably at least two more Winters in them though).  They certainly strike me as the best tyre for British Isles Winters as most of the time it is cold and wet and heavy snow/ice is relatively short lived whenever we do get it.

I'd still run regular 'Summer' tyres the rest of the year, though, as the R is a performance car and you want to extract the most out of it as well as staying safe at speed.

On 2/13/2018 at 12:35, camelsac2002 said:

I'm on PS4Ss too - no issues all through the winter, including the snow but I think they might not be available in 18". Never had the need fit winter tyres to be honest!

Slightly off topic, but that's good to hear. Also with @Bob saying the same thing. I hear they are great, but watched a (professionally done) YouTube video (I think on here?) last week saying that they were a summer tyre with significantly reduced performance below zero C. I have used the P zeros (that the car came with) all winter without any hint of a problem (and actually quite like them in the dry too), but am considering upgrading to the Michelin's when they wear out. Tbh, I simply can't be arsed with swapping to special winter tyres, storing the "summer wheels" etc.

4 hours ago, PhilC22 said:

Slightly off topic, but that's good to hear. Also with @Bob saying the same thing. I hear they are great, but watched a (professionally done) YouTube video (I think on here?) last week saying that they were a summer tyre with significantly reduced performance below zero C. I have used the P zeros (that the car came with) all winter without any hint of a problem (and actually quite like them in the dry too), but am considering upgrading to the Michelin's when they wear out. Tbh, I simply can't be arsed with swapping to special winter tyres, storing the "summer wheels" etc.

Ditto here with PZeros.

no problems over the winter, coped fine with -9c and 10 inches of snow etc.

i actually like the PZeros been decent wet n dry over summer and autumn.