Welcome, Guest!

Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.
joel4motion

Headlight height adjustment...

Hello all,

My R was delivered a couple of weeks back and have only had a couple of days use as I've been away working. 

All good but cannot seem to adjust the headlight height. Is this possible? The manual covers GTD/GTI/R and shows a generic knob that I can't see.

I may be missing something so bloody obvious.

Thanks

I may be missing something so bloody obvious.

Thanks

Errr kinda. The Rs headlights are HIDs, which by EU (or some other regulations) means the must be self leveling otherwise they'd be illegal (the lights I mean). So no, there's no knob to adjust the headlight height.

What you can do though is go into the settings to change the light settings from right hand to left hand drive so you can drive on the continent without having to use blackout tape on the headlights. This is possible as the lights can swivel horizontally.

They are adjustable but only by the dealer. I had mine lifted but only a little bit, they couldn't lift them any more. Headlights on the 7R are poor in comparison to the 6R though, so don't expect your car to be much better if you get them done.

I don't quite agree with you folks on this one. Yes the low beam does not extend very high, but that's to prevent you from blinding oncoming traffic. But below the shut-off line, I find it quite bright. The high beam is also more than adequate I find. As a matter of fact, I rarely use it.

i drive on a relatively quiet stretch of country road every evening with no street lights and I rarely, if ever, feel the need to use the high beams or wished that the lo beams were brighter.

You soon realise how bright the projected beam of your Xenons is when you get back into a halogen lit car. In the VW Ensurance arranged Skoda Superb last week, the lights were like a pair of candles stuck to my front grille. The low beam doesn’t project far, but what it illuminates is well lit up.

I find that the 7R dipped beam lighting pattern spread (across the road) and intensity is good, but the dipped beam range (along the road) is relatively poor.   Main beam is nothing special either.

Headlights are not one of G7 stronger points.   Special mention for the additional side lighting capability on full lock. 

I don't quite agree with you folks on this one. Yes the low beam does not extend very high, but that's to prevent you from blinding oncoming traffic. But below the shut-off line, I find it quite bright. The high beam is also more than adequate I find. As a matter of fact, I rarely use it.

i drive on a relatively quiet stretch of country road every evening with no street lights and I rarely, if ever, feel the need to use the high beams or wished that the lo beams were brighter.

How slow are you driving? I can absolutely guarantee you the 7's lights aren't a patch in the 6. It's one of the worst things about the car.

How slow are you driving? I can absolutely guarantee you the 7's lights aren't a patch in the 6. It's one of the worst things about the car.

60 - 70mph depending on the speed limit on the various section of my route. I can understand one of the earlier comments about range. But I still believe the lights on the 7R are more than adequate.

60 - 70mph depending on the speed limit on the various section of my route. I can understand one of the earlier comments about range. But I still believe the lights on the 7R are more than adequate.

Considering how quickly one can find oneself jaunting along a country road I'd say adequate is being a tad generous. I do however qualify that with regard to the 6R. The range of those lights was great on country roads. I actually feel slightly nervous when driving at night now, something I never felt in the 6R. To me, the 7 allows too much light spillage to the sides and not enough straight ahead. I assume this is because of the design of the light reflector housing rather than going for a crapper bulb. Why have VW taken a step backwards here?

I find that the 7R dipped beam lighting pattern spread (across the road) and intensity is good, but the dipped beam range (along the road) is relatively poor.   Main beam is nothing special either.

Headlights are not one of G7 stronger points.   Special mention for the additional side lighting capability on full lock. 

I also think the dipped lights are set too low and find driving on dark unlit back roads tricky, glad I'm not the only one thinking this.  :undecided: