Sign in to follow this  
mowflow

Thinking about cancelling

When I placed my order I was told by the supplying leasing company that they don't supply tracking numbers. However, if I wanted an update I could call them and they would contact the dealer. I can only imagine this is some bizarre attempt at hiding the dealer for whatever reason.

My order was placed near the end of October. At that time the supplier told me the car was expected end of February but advised waiting for the new reg. At the time i thought this was optimistic so i expected March. I sat tight for a long time then in January a family health issue meant I required a more definite idea of when this thing was going to show up. I contacted the supplier stating what i'd read on here about some delivery dates slipping, cars taking a month to ship etc however, after contacting their supplier they still maintained it would be "early March" and was told they would be in contact regarding finance paper work end of February.

With March rapidly approaching I contacted them yesterday and asked what was happening. I eventually got an email today telling me that it is now looking like the end of March for the car to hit the dealers which probably means April.

This is a huge pain in the arse for me due to my circumstances. I'm just really bored with waiting this long for what is just a tarted up Golf. I told the supplier this and they said I would need to pay VW a £500 cancelation fee. I told them i was paying nothing nor was I signing anything. It may seem slightly churlish to walk away with only 4/5 weeks to go out of a 5 month wait but it's starting to feel like it's the principal of simply accepting utter shite customer service from VAG not to mention the expense of alternative transport for another month (important hospital appointments rule out public transport so i effectively need to hire or buy something).

The only advise I can offer is to have a think about how much you actually want the car (to be fair it is just a fast golf and not particularly special) and what you would buy instead. How long will it take to get an alternative?

You can call VW direct and they will tell you your build week, that way you might get a better idea of a delivery date.

With regards to a cancelation fee, I guess if you havent signed *anything* then surely you'll not have to pay anything? I ordered direct with a VW dealer and havent signed anything, salesman told me I could cancel anytime upto signing the finance docs without penilty.

End of March aint far away...

mowflow: VW don't seem to have too much respect for their customers lately (although my extended wait seems to be the fault of the dealer sanctioning a whole new order for a minor spec change and being sly about it). It seems a little double standards of imposing huge waiting lists for allocation to keep the R "exclusive", but then building swathes of them for the lease/fleet market anyway.

Either keep it exclusive or treat it like any "normal" Golf and get them built in 12 weeks. I could have a brand new BMW 335D X-drive ordered today and be driving it before the end of April (my mate has just ordered one at a whopping 24.5% discount, and will probably lose £11k over 3 years in depreciation, same as a well discounted R)..

An extra month over expectation isn't huge for the average R buyer, getting your deposit back should be between you and the dealer, not you and VW. Unless that dealer is going to be out of pocket they shouldn't be keeping your deposit/asking for £500. That dealer will have someone snap their hands off for your R without the wait and they know it.

. I could have a brand new BMW 335D X-drive ordered today and be driving it before the end of April (my mate has just ordered one at a whopping 24.5% discount, and will probably lose £11k over 3 years in depreciation, same as a well discounted R)..

335d X-drive....Mmmmmmm nice car.......

Don't tempt me to jump ship....

Although very fast, will it have the sporty feel of an R? Fast rep car vs hot hatch.... :undecided:

Will a sporty BMW have the sporty feel of a Golf.....!!!???

Yes...!!! Although be interesting to drive both back to back to see the difference. I reckon the mountain of torque in the beemer would be highly addictive)

(I'm gonna get banned by admin...... :grin: )

Mowflow: if this is an order via a lease broker and you signed the initial paperwork you will have to pay the £500 cancellation fee.

I recommend you wait. I know it isn't ideal for your family situation and 4 more weeks seems like an eternity but in reality it will pass fairly quickly. The R is worth the wait. Trust me.

I ordered on the 30th Sep and was told 20 weeks.  It arrived at the dealer last Tuesday and I pick it up on Sunday.   One of my colleagues ordered via a lease company a few weeks after me and was told 12 weeks.  I told him that the lease company were saying what he wanted to hear to get his business and that it would be 20 weeks.

He's now fuming that he still doesn't have a confirmed build week and has an ETA of late April. 

Realistically it was always going to be the end of March IMHO if you ordered near the end of October.

A few visits to this forum and you'd soon have picked up that 5 months is about normal.

I ordered on the 6th October and am still waiting.  Early March is likely for me and that's what I was expecting / told all along.

If you still want a car I would personally just wait now   :smiley:  

Realistically it was always going to be the end of March IMHO if you ordered near the end of October.

A few visits to this forum and you'd soon have picked up that 5 months is about normal.

I ordered on the 6th October and am still waiting. Early March is likely for me and that's what I was expecting / told all along.

If you still want a car I would personally just wait now :smiley:

That's a good point. I ordered in July 14 and collected in January. 6 months...

Don't tempt me to jump ship....

Although very fast, will it have the sporty feel of an R? Fast rep car vs hot hatch.... :undecided:

There you go again talking down the BMW with your perception that it is solely a rep mobile. Really touches a nerve. I am neither a rep nor feel like one when I drive my BMW. Let's be realistic; the R is a fast shopping trolley, nothing else. The VW Golf is a tin pot compared to a BMW F30.

The BMW F30 Series are brilliant cars, beautifully made and in a much higher league than VW Golfs. The only reason I am changing is that I wish to have a smaller car. Both the BMW 330d sDrive/xDrive and 335d xDrive are amazing cars. Have you driven one, let alone owned one? The Diesel torque on both these cars is addictive especially with the superb 8 Speed ZF Auto which comes as standard. The 335d xDrive is mentally fast and simply immense. The Golf R feels like a buzz box in comparison to either one of these. Comparing a not so good looking hatchback to an elegant saloon is also a non-starter.

Regarding handling, the sDrives are much better. The xDrives have a raised ride height as M Sport Springs are not available with them, their handling is quite roll-y poll-y and they definitely do not handle as well as a Golf R. Most enthusiastic owners fit AC Schnitzer springs to their xDrives and this sorts out the handling, though this will still not be as nimble as an R. Even with this mod, I still prefer the sDrives. Even the sDrive is not as nimble as an R. Also remember, the BMW is a bigger car designed for a different purpose. Quite honestly it is all the car you will ever need especially if you have a family.

So why don't you bite the bullet and get a 335d xDrive M Sport? Probably arrive before you get your R.