th3_f15t

th3 f15t's '12 Golf R (Codename: Viki)

Hello fellow VWR fans! I thought I'd introduce my new ride to everyone officially. She's a 2012 Golf R DSG, Rising Blue in 5 door with 19 inch black alloys, dynamic chassis control (DCC), parking sensors, heated and electric leather interior, Dynaudio soundpack with an RCD510 and MDI in the arm rest. Already put my own touches on the car in the form of aluminium paddle extensions, seat inserts, full interior LED upgrade, reverse and parking light LED upgrades and black caps in the engine bay.

Golf_R_001_zps3jquwp2u.jpg

Golf_R_002_zpsqpwmrhwt.jpg

Golf_R_003_zps4rj3e8ni.jpg

Golf_R_004_zpsxa9ec5q1.jpg

Golf_R_005_zpsrqavjxlo.jpg

Golf_R_006_zpsabk2hzol.jpg

Golf_R_007_zps4rfukxha.jpg

Golf_R_008_zpsjobxzgne.jpg

Golf_R_009_zpsleir4htn.jpg

Golf_R_010_zps6tfofy0d.jpg

It won't be staying stock, that's for sure! 400bhp is the target as well as a few suspension and braking upgrades. I already have a set of 6 piston Brembo brakes sat in my room waiting to be painted and a full kit built up. I'm putting the kit together myself as I fancy a challenge, as well as fitting it all myself. Keep an eye open for updates as and when I can afford it, right now I need to shift my previous Golf GTI and finish off my mk4 Golf V5 project.

Stage 2+ consisting of:

- BCS turbo back exhaust

- Cold air intake (undecided, likely VW Racing one though)

- Intercooler (may pick up the APR one that's for sale on here)

- Loba HPFP

I'll run stage 2+ for a while but then I'll add in a hybrid K04 turbo wih a custom manifold and an Intergrated Engineering inlet manifold too, to really extract easy power from the engine. I don't really want to run WMI unless esential as I want it to be a proper "turn key and go" car still. I'll also likely opt for Revo software as I travel about a lot and like to tinker so Revo software suits my needs rather well (despite not being as good as a custom map). It's still early days though, and I need to make sure the brakes and suspension are built up first in order to handle a 60-65% increase in power. Luckily I have my Brembos already lined up...

Welcome

You dont need an uprated inter cooler for stage 2+ Im running stage2+ with

Forge twin take induction kit

Scorpion turbo back exhaust and sports cat

APR HPFP

APR stage2+ map

Running 363 bhp at the moment

You will struggle to get big 4 pot calipers behind the standard wheels,I have a set of Forge 6 pots waiting to go on but have had to order a set of BBS CH-R wheels with 225 tyres to get them on

I already have a set of Team Dynamic Pro Race 1.2 alloys with good tyres from my GTI, so I will re-use them. Along with a 5mm spacer I should be fine to clean most brake set ups regardless of caliper size. That's interesting you don't need an IC, but as I mentioned, if I can get the APR one cheap enough then it'd be rude not to upgrade it while I'm there. Considering a turbo upgrade is on the cards, it does make sense to plan ahead.

You may get away with running a small spacer with OEM wheels. When I first fitted my VWR BBK I had to run a 3mm spacer but when I changed my wheels to CH-R's I had to move up to a 5mm spacer as the clearance from the spokes to the caliper was less than with the OEM 19's.

Also while you don't need an uprated intercooler for Stg 2+ I'm running the Forge Twintercooler along with the OEM one and it definitely made a difference when fitted!

Oh, be quite about dirty engine bays and tail pipe! I spent 4 hours detailing it this weekend just gone so ran out of effort... I shall most likely get a Revo Stage 2 DSG map along with the ECU software but I need to look into a Haldex controller, not read into it much yet so I'm not committing to anything. Also, I still need to sell a few bits to fund this and my other Golf project too before I can get serious with anything. Chances are the mk6 Golf R will be worked on after Christmas once I finish the mk4 Golf V5 off.

In preparation for going straight to Stage 2+ at some point, I got myself a Revo SPS as I plan to use their software when I upgrade. It suits me more as I travel all over the UK so having multi-dealer support and the ability to tweak settings on my own laptop is a great bonus,

Golf_R_012_zpsts7hhwao.jpg

And in the words of Revo themselves: "Power is nothing without control". That being very true, and having learnt my lessons from my GTI project, I decided this time I was going to do the brakes right from the start. I knew the brakes I wanted very early on, in fact these are the very ones I wanted for the GTI! Porsche Cayenne calipers with 350mm discs. I'm building the kit up myself as I want exactly the parts I like and I don't want to pay the £2000 asking price for either the Forge or ECS Tuning kits (granted, they use 2 piece brake discs). I actually picked the calipers up about a month ago off eBay for a good price and it turned out they were from non other than Elliot Robberts, the editor of Performance VW! One is literally brand new with the factory sticker still on, the other needs a bit of work. I'm probably going to get them re-coloured black though and have R logos on so they look OE. The fact the stock discs are 345mm means that at a glance they won't give the game away to what power I'll be running with.

Golf_R_015_zpsrzhwx0gn.jpg

Also fitted a Loba HPFP too, now I know it's very odd that I've fitted it at stock tuning but believe me, the difference it makes to even a stock map is incredible. The top end of the rev range is so much stronger now and the whole car feels smoother when driving. Plus it was lying about from the GTI project so it was rude not to fit it and get it working away. In future, if I work on another one of these engines, I'll fit a HPFP straight away again before even a re-map or air filter.

Golf_R_011_zpsobz0ev22.jpg

Going to trade in my BCS Powervalve exhaust for one that fits the Golf R, they're a spot on company and were more than happy to come to an arrangement, so hoping to ship that off this week and get my replacement ordered, again ready for Stage 2+ upgrades. I need to get a decent intercooler and intake sorted now plus a few other little nice touches to get some decent power from the CDL engine.

Also recycled the Team Dynamic alloy wheels from the GTI, although I changed the centre caps for som OE ones so they look more natural. The tyres are running low on tread now, about 3-4mm so I'll run them for a while before taking them off again for a re-colour and new tyres. For now I'm liking the black but I would rather a grey colour to break it up a bit but still finalising a colour scheme to go with.

Golf_R_013_zpsdde0i21d.jpg

Golf_R_014_zpsnedfs0k6.jpg

Also looking at longer term upgrades such as a better turbo, some Haldex controllers and differentials, plus suspension upgrades. I may just run VW Racing springs and anti-roll bars as along with the said controller and differential as I think it'll handle well enough for fast road and the odd track day. If it falls short of my expectations I'll go for the KW DDC coilovers as I want to retain my OE feature of different suspension modes. Also going to recycle my Recaro bucket seats from the GTI, although with a re-trim to mimic the interior of the Beetle R Concept (Google it, it's amazing). I'll keep the OE seats and use a spare rear bench as I want to be able to return the whole car to stock if I sell her on.

But before all of this, I have to investigate a small issue. I had my DSG and Haldex serviced this week at VW as my car has done 30K miles and want to keep the servicing shorter to maintain the life of the DSG and Haldex when pushed beyond OE power, but was informed that there's signs of fluid leak from my transfer box. So it'll be up on the ramp in my workshop, cleaned off and then investigated again a week later to see where the fluid is coming from.

Just a small update, got my car into the workshop and raised up on the ramp to diagnose this fluid leak.

Golf_R_016_zpsbmbdp17n.jpg

Golf_R_017_zps6swsjwoh.jpg

So had a good look at everything while I was under there, all seems good. But there's certainly traces of fluid on the transfer box, quick analysis told me it was engine oil.

Golf_R_018_zpspx5ve3ku.jpg

Came to this conclusion by following the damp trail and it went all the way up above the transfer box towards the cylinder head. So I thought it could be either a failed seal at the connection of the turbo oil feed to the block or something else. Having a look from the top of the engine, noticed that the turbo oil feed and another breather pipe at the back of the block looked a bit dirty.

Golf_R_019_zpso17fnkmb.jpg

Golf_R_020_zpserroaf0d.jpg

Looks like it's the breather pipe connections that have failed, was cleaning around the area and found traces of fresh, clean looking oil which figures as my oil was changed about 1000 miles ago and it hadn't had time to discolour from dirty in the bay so it's likely I'll be replacing as much of that as I can at some point, thankfully have all the part numbers thanks to a workshop diagram.

Other news to share is the purchase of a Forge oil catch can system and H&R lowering springs, both found on eBay for a lot less money than the normal online tuning shops are charging. Also, there's a metallic knocking sound like a heat shield banging from the rear when I go over bumps so will have to work out what this noise is as well before fitting more shiny bits. Plus a few little other gremlins to flush out, this is threatening to be a challenge of a car already.

I agree, the original wheels do keep it quiet what's going on, but that's what I've done with the TD's, tried to blend them in as best I can. I plan to have my Porsche brakes done similar to the stock ones, with just the R logo on them in gloss black and along with the 350mm disc, you'll have to be paying attention to notice the upgrades.

Thanks for that. As mentioned, I found clean oil from the pipe on the valve cover so I shall replace that and the clips first and then if it continues I'll get the transfer box looked at.

Oh, so how time changes all plans... In a small update (pictures to follow in the coming weeks) I've acquired some parts... EVOMS intake and an Audi RS3 low pressure fuel pump ahead of stage 3 plans. I've also decided, and don't judge me, to go with a Milltek exhaust system and an AMD Tuning stage 2 ECU map with their DSG software. 2 reasons for this, first being I used AMD Tuning for my GTI and I can't fault both their work and their customer service. Secondly, cost. It's nearly £1000 cheaper overall to go with their deal for a Milltek system and maps and considering they're not going to be much worse (if any) than either Revo or R-Tech at stage 2 and they are local to me, I'm sticking with what I know. Naturally, at stage 3 I shall re-think but for now it's a quick way to north of 320bhp. And I prefer the sound of the Milltek system...