th3_f15t

th3 f15t's '12 Golf R (Codename: Viki)

Got me a Trackslag 3.5" downpipe with a silencer:

30582691287_cf58aae8f1.jpg
44798580474_477becccdf.jpg

The only problem with it at the moment, if you haven't spotted it, is it's a de-cat system so I'm getting a sports cat welded in so I can safely use it on the road legally. Also got a turbo discharge kit:

30582690627_291cf951a3.jpg

Need to get a 175 bar fuel pressure return valve now then that's everything needed to get the engine sorted. Going to go to TSR Performance for my mapping as they're just over an hour from me so my most local tuner. Plus I've seen their work so know I'm in safe, tried-and-tested hands.

May even give the car a wash this weekend...

You know how it is, get a load of parts and make a plan, 2 months later realise those plans won't happen as quickly as you planned... Thanks to real life. Since changing jobs earlier this year my time commitments have massively changed so still getting used to them, as well as financially.

So, before we begin, I had great plans to get the downpipe sorted, everything fitted and all re-mapped by now. Instead, I've managed very little except by an Audi A6 Avant as a daily driver. But this weekend I decided enough was enough, time to get her back on the road at the very least.

31307501337_aec8424988.jpg

The plan here was to drop out the passenger side driveshaft and replace it with a whole new one, including CV joints as my usual supplier of such parts only charge £41 for the whole unit. The old one came out pretty easy after removing the main hub nut and the 3 16mm lower ball joint nuts:

46246599041_dec5d96c29.jpg

Scarily this part takes as little as 60 minutes to get to here. New vs. old:

31307500397_5c16804609.jpg
46246598011_a993c4e2be.jpg
31307499577_e45762f289.jpg

Initially, I was very happy with the replacement part, it's actually 1.6mm thicker (the driveshaft, that is) than the stick part and everything is really well made. However, what isn't obvious from the last photo is the bolt pattern on the inner CV joint of the new unit didn't match up, nor does the style. So I removed the outer CV joint from the new one and put it onto my old driveshaft after cleaning it up.

46246597121_a353d6da91.jpg

Was also working on my fiance's Polo Coupe S today, doing a mega thorough cooling system flush so got distracted by that job quite a lot. But she's all back together ready for a test drive either later tonight or one evening in the week (on private roads as still not got an MOT). Hopefully after sorting this CV joint out (which was an MOT pickup) and some better fuel plus additives I'll be back on the road fully. Watch this space.

Sorry for the huge delay in responding, needless to say things have been slow to the point of going backwards with the car lately. I'm overdue some major servicing now but money has been a real issue and prevented anything from happening.

That, and now owning several other cars... My bad!

The car is now for sale, I've sold off all the Stage 3/hybrid turbo parts and completed the major service work ready and looking to sort a few more issues before it goes. I've got an advert for it up on the classifieds already but will be going up on more public boards (eBay etc.) in the coming weeks.

Sort of sad times, but I've just grown away from the performance world and entered into the world of Transporters, so moving on from this car to the next adventure.