Jump to content

What detailing have you done today?


Recommended Posts

Yesterday, I detailed the golf between 9am and 11am in direct sunlight. It was a horrid experience but I needed photos to sell it through Motorway.

 

1) Wheels with Meg's Wheel Brightener, mitt, brushes etc. and APC scrubbed into tyres

2) Pre-wash with BH Auto-Foam. Could barely leave it long enough to get round with detailing brush.

3) Wash with CarPro Reset. I was constantly spraying the car to keep it wet to avoid watermarks but, in the end, went for an approach where I washed and dried panels in small sections. this worked out best.

4) Quick coat of CarPro Reload. I rate this highly for ease of application (even in direct sunlight), gloss and slickness. however, it only lasts a few weeks which is why I barely use it. Still, the car is only a month or so from a base layer of Meg's HCW, which is also SiO2 based so I regard Reload as a poor topper or brilliant QD!

5) CarPro Perl (1:1) on the tyres. 

 

Came out very nicely despite the rush, sweat and occasional shortcut! Sorry, just a screen snip of an iPhone photo. Phone confused by the  high dynamic range I think.

 

image.thumb.png.c9860eca6e24f912164f2ee3dd4f33b7.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Full decon Clayed polished waxed ....Tesco car park 😊   im pooped  

Washed it. Serviced it. Painted the rusty wheel hubs. Stuck on the side vent stickers and blacked out upper grill.    

It's been a while!     10 weeks without a clean due to being busy and crap weather etc, longest any car of mine has been without a clean, but finally got time to give it a wash.    

Posted Images

Bath time for a grubby R!  Not been done since late May and nearly £1k miles since so the need is great!  

 

51258806451_1f46baaf36_o.jpg
 

One thing I’ll say is the Lapiz wears dirt and grime so much better than DBP.  Let the snow foaming commence….

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Clarkie48 said:

Gave my car a quick wash today mainly to remove the squashed bugs from our trip last week.Last week when I gave it a proper wash I applied Bilt Hamber Atom-Mac to my brake discs and noticed today that my wheels were a lot cleaner than normal.Will definitely keep using it.


That’s good to know.  Think I’ll try some of the Atom-Mac.  Can’t usually go wrong with BH stuff.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Doesn’t it ‘dilute’ the braking power as well ?
The only way to reduce pad-dusting without changing the disc/pad combo, is some type of lubrications (or adhesion) which would reduce braking power.

If I’m missing out on something innovative or technologically new here, I’d love to learn more on how it works and educate myself (i.e. physics or thermodynamics explanation, not the words they use in advertisements 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, AHG said:

Doesn’t it ‘dilute’ the braking power as well ?
The only way to reduce pad-dusting without changing the disc/pad combo, is some type of lubrications (or adhesion) which would reduce braking power.

If I’m missing out on something innovative or technologically new here, I’d love to learn more on how it works and educate myself (i.e. physics or thermodynamics explanation, not the words they use in advertisements :-))


2021 MK8 Golf R - Lapiz Blue (ordered)
2018 Audi S3 Sedan - Daytona Grey
2012 MK6 Golf GTI 6MT 3DR - Pearl Black 
2010 MK3 Scirocco 6MT 3DR - Pearl Black       
1998 MK4 Golf 1.6 5MT 5DR - Pacific Blue
1973 Beetle 1.3 Flat4 4MT 2DR - Ivory White


It’s a corrosion inhibitor,it stops the discs going brown when the car is washed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Clarkie48 said:


It’s a corrosion inhibitor,it stops the discs going brown when the car is washed.


I know where AHG is coming from, to be an inhibitor it presumably leaves something on the surface of the disk therefore I wonder how or if it effects the performance.

 

I genuinely don’t know so would be interested to find out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Clarkie48 said:


It’s a corrosion inhibitor,it stops the discs going brown when the car is washed.

Maybe I got it wrong.

So it’s not a dust-reducer, just a rust-preventer ?

And it’s not the wheels that are cleaner, but the brake discs.

Did I get it right this time ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, AHG said:

Maybe I got it wrong.

So it’s not a dust-reducer, just a rust-preventer ?

And it’s not the wheels that are cleaner, but the brake discs.

Did I get it right this time ?


Without, under braking the rust becomes dust, by eliminating the rust it reduces the dust.

 

A lot dust and rust or was it rust and dust…… 😕

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JonD999 said:


Without, under braking the rust becomes dust, by eliminating the rust it reduces the dust.

 

A lot dust and rust or was it rust and dust…… 😕

That’s where I slightly and respectfully disagree.

What becomes dust is mainly the pad material, not the rust on the disc (unless it’s really a lot).

So, if you minimize the rust you may have better looking discs (those ginger spots annoy me too), but it shouldn’t affect the overall brake pad dust on your wheel rim. That’s how brakes work - turn kinetic energy into pad dust 🙂

 

Maybe it also moisturizes the pad so it doesn’t powder the rim so much.

but anything other than changing pads/disc combo (ceramic, low dust, coated) shouldn’t reduce pad dust without hurting brake power.

 

As said, I may be completely wrong, in which case I’d love to be educated.

I’m not a pro. Just a geek.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, AHG said:

That’s where I slightly and respectfully disagree.

What becomes dust is mainly the pad material, not the rust on the disc (unless it’s really a lot).

So, if you minimize the rust you may have better looking discs (those ginger spots annoy me too), but it shouldn’t affect the overall brake pad dust on your wheel rim. That’s how brakes work - turn kinetic energy into pad dust 🙂

 

Maybe it also moisturizes the pad so it doesn’t powder the rim so much.

but anything other than changing pads/disc combo (ceramic, low dust, coated) shouldn’t reduce pad dust without hurting brake power.

 

As said, I may be completely wrong, in which case I’d love to be educated.

I’m not a pro. Just a geek.

 


No pro either, but yes I imagine the pad material creates dust, but surely the rust has to go somewhere, as does the disk material must all be contributing factors?

Link to post
Share on other sites

No pro either, but yes I imagine the pad material creates dust, but surely the rust has to go somewhere, as does the disk material must all be contributing factors?
Perhaps. I really can’t say that I have a definitive answer to that.
I’m just curious how you can reduce dust without paying in brake power.
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, AHG said:

Perhaps. I really can’t say that I have a definitive newer to that.

I’m just curious how you can reduce dust without paying in brake power.


It’s a good question and crossed my mind.  I’ve read a few reviews and  posts on the stuff on Detailing World and no mention of any reduction in brake power but be good to have some feedback from a user.   No pressure @Clarkie48 😁

 

My main reason for wanting to try it is to reduce that rust that builds up post wash and or post rain, which admittedly is easily cleaned off with a quick spin round the block, but unfortunately resulting in rust dust all over the clean wheels.  So by reducing that build up significantly less dust spewed onto the wheels.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Current Donation Goals

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...