What detailing have you done today?

Booth11

22 minutes ago, AHG said:

Will the IK manual foamer cover a full car ?

or is it just for local work ?

as per “what I’m afraid of” it’s like you said

you don’t really know your car until you hand washed it

So this is when I see all the blemishes and imperfections.

Thank you again for this kindness.

It is very appreciate, and well applied 🙂 (see pics)

775743EB-2238-4E51-8AAF-ED2FB8A5C91C.jpeg

33A8C5A7-3B30-4BE0-881D-8F520B58E4FE.jpeg

Yes it can be used for whole car.  I haven’t used it on whole car yet but will be tomorrow as a lance substitute.  The IK Foamer I have is the 2 litre version (they do smaller capacity ones) so I’m sure that that will easily cover the whole car.  It will just mean some elbow grease to pump every time the pressure is depleted and of course as the foam solution reduces, the more pumps it takes to build up the pressure again but it’s easy work really.  

That really is true you don’t know the car fully until you’ve washed it yourself a few times.  But don’t be too fearful, your car has been fully detailed professionally and had PPF has it not?  So it’s had the best start!  All cars pick up marks over time in daily use, it’s just the way it is.  Mine is sadly now sporting a lengthy scratch all the way down the passenger side where a long low branch (initially unseen from drivers seat) was sticking out from a rural hedge on a narrow country lane.  The majority of it will polish out so I’m not too concerned although there’s a little bit that might be beyond the clear coat.  Highly annoying but one of those things.  I try to avoid narrow high hedges roads for that reason, often taking longer routes, but some places I have to visit in my job makes it impossible to completely avoid them.  Hopefully yours will be free of such things.

Ah yes the lovely Lockwood sill plates and the cable!  Was happy to help there.  🙂

And the screen protector, too 🙂

If you look closely you can see (corners mostly)
thanks again for all those

As per hedges, I just “met” one this morning,

after dropping off my kid at school.

Just a road like you described. I also try to avoid it.

I trust the PPF, but the mirror is naked. I hope it’s ok.

(didn’t look, have a b-day party for my spouse to organize today, so prefer to sublimate all ‘noise’)

Problem with PPF is, that once you clean the car up close you see all the imperfections of it. From 1-2m away it looks perfect, but a closer look reveals all the edges where it was cut, and sharp corners it goes around (always a challenge).

Still worth it for the peace of mind, no doubt.

But it is a struggle to live with it and not try to fix it.

1 hour ago, AHG said:

And the screen protector, too 🙂

If you look closely you can see (corners mostly)
thanks again for all those

As per hedges, I just “met” one this morning,

after dropping off my kid at school.

Just a road like you described. I also try to avoid it.

I trust the PPF, but the mirror is naked. I hope it’s ok.

(didn’t look, have a b-day party for my spouse to organize today, so prefer to sublimate all ‘noise’)

Yes the screen saver too.  Which you very kindly gifted to me too. 🙂

Hopefully no harm to the mirror when you do get to inspect it.  At least a mirror cap can be switched out if there is any significant damage. 

1 hour ago, AHG said:

Problem with PPF is, that once you clean the car up close you see all the imperfections of it. From 1-2m away it looks perfect, but a closer look reveals all the edges where it was cut, and sharp corners it goes around (always a challenge).

Still worth it for the peace of mind, no doubt.

But it is a struggle to live with it and not try to fix it.

This is in part why I’ve never been tempted or inclined to get PPF on a car.  Yes without it the car will pick up its own imperfections but those visible edges etc would bug me even though only close up. The tiny bit of PPF that VW fit on the sill edge near the rear doors, I dislike and it’s the first thing my eye is drawn to, and it yellows over time.  Plus I personally have an aversion to covering painted metal with plastic.  That said I can fully understand it’s value to those that do get it and its self healing properties saving the paint (and plastics) from scuff and chips, but it’s not for me.  

A non hose, non pressure washer wash today for the rest of the car.  Fortunately it rained over night so that rinsed off some of the existing dirt and softened the rest quite nicely.   Substituted the pressure washer snow foam application with the IK Foamer to apply snow foam. Used Bilt Hamber Touchless (at a PIR ratio of 2%).  The IK Foam Pro I have is 2L one which means it takes a max of 1.5L of product and water combined, and this was enough to do the whole car bar the wheels.  More effort than a normal snow foam application being a hand pump, and not as good even coverage but worked well nonetheless and did the job.  Rinsed car with a couple buckets of fresh DI water, then did usual 2 bucket wash and rinsed again using buckets.  The bit I most missed was being able to do a final open ended hose rinse which drastically reduces the amount of standing water left on the car after that rinse. Using buckets for rinsing meant a wetter car to dry off but Gyeon Silk Dryer towels did the job nicely, just used more of them.  

52399256343_496cf68a47_o.jpg

52399172855_e5fe0031f4_o.jpg

52398746501_ef11593c43_o.jpg

And now the rest of the car matches the clean wheels….

52399033614_88ffb1ac8b_o.jpg

52399058069_ff900e06a6_o.jpg

52398746751_fb025d30be_o.jpg

52398232307_241a4c0aac_o.jpg

52398232052_248dea42ed_o.jpg

52399033789_13a842c6bb_o.jpg

17 hours ago, AHG said:

Do you use a manual foam sprayer ?

I use an IK9 Foam sprayer.  1 fill is enough to foam the whole of my Mk7.5R wagon

I have modified it with a car valve so I can use my battery air pump to pressurise it, I usually have to pump it up 4-5 times to get a good foam delivery (it sort of spits & spatters when the air pressure gets too low).  

19 minutes ago, gregozedobe said:

I use an IK9 Foam sprayer.  1 fill is enough to foam the whole of my Mk7.5R wagon

I have modified it with a car valve so I can use my battery air pump to pressurise it, I usually have to pump it up 4-5 times to get a good foam delivery (it sort of spits & spatters when the air pressure gets too low).  

That’s a great idea Greg.  The version I have they now offer a + version with a schrader valve so you can use compressed air too.  If this was my primary means of foaming a car I’d go for that, but it’s just used as a substitute or add on.  

I don't bother with a foamer any more, I use a hand pump sprayer with Auto Foam.    There isn't a noticeable difference in the results, application is just as quick and the dwell time is much shorter.   It's also good enough for a 90%+ (vs normal standards) touch-less quick wash in the winter, which takes less than 30mins including getting everything out and tidying up. 

Sounds like a plan

I may be kicked out of this thread for saying this, but I’m ok with the 80:20 principal, i.e. a good (professional) once a year, and a spray-and-pray foam and rinse off every month or so, sound manageable for a lazy bum like myself.

32 minutes ago, AHG said:

Sounds like a plan

I may be kicked out of this thread for saying this, but I’m ok with the 80:20 principal, i.e. a good (professional) once a year, and a spray-and-pray foam and rinse off every month or so, sound manageable for a lazy bum like myself.

Are you finally on intimate washing terms with your R yet @AHG

It got 3 professional washes since I got it 

pre-PPF, 2 weeks after PPF, 3 weeks after that

(2 finishing touch sessions)

Last was Sep 8, so I still have 1 day 🙂

But that that was me just being argumentative

slipping is very like me

I hate cleaning (anything)

23 minutes ago, AHG said:

It got 3 professional washes since I got it 

pre-PPF, 2 weeks after PPF, 3 weeks after that

(2 finishing touch sessions)

Last was Sep 8, so I still have 1 day 🙂

But that that was me just being argumentative

slipping is very like me

I hate cleaning (anything)

How about 11 professional washes and then 1 DIY wash per year.  😄

14 minutes ago, JonnyG said:

Very similar to Bec's method.  The open ended watering cans are great for final rinse 👍

Wash 2.jpg

The final farewell wash for your R-Line Jonny!   Good it a good send off.  

Your mention and pic of watering cans serves reminder.  👍  The only one I could find last week when I washed my car was one I use to apply medications etc to koi pond so did they fancy using that for the car.  Must buy a couple new ones this weekend.