ColinC2's Reflex Silver Golf R

Sounds sensible Colin, and funnily enough in a similar position considering changing the Golf for something more basic as a daily for the wife and something more 'fun' for weekend duties.

With Reflex Silver no longer available I am hoping it makes our cars slightly more desirable on the secondhand market, possibly wishful thinking.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So... DDay Minus One. Car was detailed yesterday so a massive thanks to Jake @FCD ( http://www.firstchoicedetailing.co.uk/services/ ) I am really pleased with the results. Took a few pictures but the

Today is D-day (Delivery Day)  minus 10... And saw the car for the first time. In the pouring rain (hence poor quality photos). Before PDI (hence the ride height). Looks gorgeous anyway.....   Manag

Big detail before #inters (see Detailing section) then after 300 odd mile round trip and lots of rain a quick wash then a once over with Swissvax Lotospeed ...       

Posted Images

I love my oryx white R, but I've always had a soft spot for silver cars. I turned down the chance at having a reflex silver R only because I've had 3 silver cars previously so fancied a change. But every time I see one in this colour I always feel that bit of regret. It suits the R so well and I've only ever seen two in person, all the others I've seen are online.

If you do decide to sell up I don't think you'll have any trouble what so ever selling it, and hopefully you will get a price you're happy with too. 

What made you change from the RS3??

How long have you got!!!
Gearbox was terrible with jerky changes and liked to coast at certain point when turning in to a junction etc then a jolt when back on the power.
The engine sound was gorgeous but also started with the famous timing chain rattle when hot and cold sometimes too!
Had more sets of front discs/pads and calipers some under warranty some not for brake judder.
Haldex pump failed! Charcoal canister failed!
I tried several dealers traveling hundreds of miles and all said the gearbox and engine complaints were normal!!
Decided to get rid at 30k as I felt like it was a ticking time bomb.
All in all I’d say the worst and most expensive car to maintain I’ve ever had!
For a car under warranty the dealer still had £2000 of me for items not covered under warranty, everything it needed I had to pay for something else first

Had the R 18 months now and it’s been a breath of fresh air! Best car I’ve had to date
On 13 November 2017 at 07:41, marshy said:

How long have you got!!!
Gearbox was terrible with jerky changes and liked to coast at certain point when turning in to a junction etc then a jolt when back on the power.
The engine sound was gorgeous but also started with the famous timing chain rattle when hot and cold sometimes too!
Had more sets of front discs/pads and calipers some under warranty some not for brake judder.
Haldex pump failed! Charcoal canister failed!
I tried several dealers traveling hundreds of miles and all said the gearbox and engine complaints were normal!!
Decided to get rid at 30k as I felt like it was a ticking time bomb.
All in all I’d say the worst and most expensive car to maintain I’ve ever had!
For a car under warranty the dealer still had £2000 of me for items not covered under warranty, everything it needed I had to pay for something else firstemoji23.png

Had the R 18 months now and it’s been a breath of fresh air! Best car I’ve had to dateemoji1303.png

Was it a Friday car??

I knew they had brake issues....was yours the 8p ?

I tested a e2015 RS3 at Taunton Audi before I bought my R a couple years after the fan fair had passed looking for a used deal.

Like you I loved the glorious noise but the steering felt pretty vague. You really notice the extra weight 'over' the front axle.

Box felt OK on my short blast but the understeer was never far away.

I got in the Golf and it just felt that more spacious and less cramped. Maybe my imagination but I'm just not a fan of 5 doors. I don't need them any more and my 3 door R just looks a bit more sporty IMO.

RS3 interior felt good but the price was an eye watering £54k for a fully specced show room new car with no discounts.

What items did they not honour under warranty?

I looked at the saloon recently but I thought my stage 2 R was far more sensible from a financial outlay on a new or near new RS3. I did consider the M2 but I just love the security of 4WD of the R in Blighty together with the fact that at stage 2 pumping out 400+ horses and 420lbs of torques you really appreciate it.

As a daily driver it's a compelling package that's great value and yet a cut above the build quality of others in the same market segment.

Was it a Friday car??
I knew they had brake issues....was yours the 8p ?
I tested a e2015 RS3 at Taunton Audi before I bought my R a couple years after the fan fair had passed looking for a used deal.
Like you I loved the glorious noise but the steering felt pretty vague. You really notice the extra weight 'over' the front axle.
Box felt OK on my short blast but the understeer was never far away.
I got in the Golf and it just felt that more spacious and less cramped. Maybe my imagination but I'm just not a fan of 5 doors. I don't need them any more and my 3 door R just looks a bit more sporty IMO.
RS3 interior felt good but the price was an eye watering £54k for a fully specced show room new car with no discounts.
What items did they not honour under warranty?
I looked at the saloon recently but I thought my stage 2 R was far more sensible from a financial outlay on a new or near new RS3. I did consider the M2 but I just love the security of 4WD of the R in Blighty together with the fact that at stage 2 pumping out 400+ horses and 420lbs of torques you really appreciate it.

As a daily driver it's a compelling package that's great value and yet a cut above the build quality of others in the same market segment.

Don’t want to clog Colin’s thread up.
Yeah 8p, car had brake mod at 5k then because I’d clear coated the fronts of the hubs to stop corrosion they wouldn’t cover the next pair!
I paid for the next set which after 500 miles the judder returned.
They wanted the wheels forced road balanced before doing anymore.
I had to travel 100 miles to get them done elsewhere since they couldn’t do them.
Then they charged to do alignment which both made no difference.
Then they said it was the rear which weren’t covered so I had to pay for them!
The haldex pump failed but I had to pay for the haldex service.
The loud grating noise from the clutches when moving away when cold was normal!!
Drove 5 8V cars and apart from the brakes found them to suffer from the same traits.
Lesson learnt take a hit and get out of it.
2 minutes ago, marshy said:

Don’t want to clog Colin’s thread up.

No worries - I came from 8P to the Golf R and have written before how much i prefer the agility and feel of the R over the RS3 so echo some of your sentiments. 

IMG_0043_zps3vyhisdv.JPG.2a114a22bbbff0e4d12f1064e63d00d1.JPG

The RS3 , capable though it is, and quite good looking in the right colour (mine was an exclusive colour which I never really got to love although others did) was never a car I truly enjoyed. It always felt like just too much work and like you said always wanted to understeer into the nearest hedge/tree/kerb! The tech was 2010 and I was starting to tire of the Milltek/secondary cat delete set up that I had. 

I did not experience the same repeated issues with discs/pads - I had mine replaced , together with the calipers, only 800 miles after the selling dealer had replaced them but i followed a very strict bedding in routine and managed a further 7k miles with no problems. 

From what i can work out the next owner ruined the car and if I had the money I would buy it again and look at improving what i didn't like by throwing money at !! E.G. Coilovers, Cage, bigger rear discs/pads .... .🤔 But like I said thats money no object !!

I love the Golf R - its in my top 3 (of 51) cars that I have owned - and a long trip to the Classic Car Show Sunday made me enjoy it again having driven the GP2 so much recently - but the opportunity to release some cash and beat the taxman a bit by running a company car (on lease) is tempting me!! 

1 hour ago, ColinC2 said:

No worries - I came from 8P to the Golf R and have written before how much i prefer the agility and feel of the R over the RS3 so echo some of your sentiments. 

IMG_0043_zps3vyhisdv.JPG.2a114a22bbbff0e4d12f1064e63d00d1.JPG

The RS3 , capable though it is, and quite good looking in the right colour (mine was an exclusive colour which I never really got to love although others did) was never a car I truly enjoyed. It always felt like just too much work and like you said always wanted to understeer into the nearest hedge/tree/kerb! The tech was 2010 and I was starting to tire of the Milltek/secondary cat delete set up that I had. 

I did not experience the same repeated issues with discs/pads - I had mine replaced , together with the calipers, only 800 miles after the selling dealer had replaced them but i followed a very strict bedding in routine and managed a further 7k miles with no problems. 

From what i can work out the next owner ruined the car and if I had the money I would buy it again and look at improving what i didn't like by throwing money at !! E.G. Coilovers, Cage, bigger rear discs/pads .... .1f914.png But like I said thats money no object !!

I love the Golf R - its in my top 3 (of 51) cars that I have owned - and a long trip to the Classic Car Show Sunday made me enjoy it again having driven the GP2 so much recently - but the opportunity to release some cash and beat the taxman a bit by running a company car (on lease) is tempting me!! 

Interesting feedback Colin and Marshy.

It still amazes me how well the RS3 holds onto residuals with these mechanical issues and the known handling traits.

The new RS3 will be the same no doubt with slightly sharper handling.

Anyway sorry for bungling up your thread with my ramblings!

I can only mirror your comments Colin.
I fitted Bilstein B16 coilivers and like you got fed up of the secondary cat pipes.
Great sometimes not others.
I got rid of mine with 31k on and it had had 2 pairs of front calipers and 7 pairs of discs within the last 14k
Ended up fitting the red stuff pads which helped but it was ready for more discs on trade in.
The dealer reckoned I didn’t use the brakes hard enough!! I bought the car to use on the road not a rally stage