belfast col

Understanding and using your DSG box.....

Having owned my R with the 7 speed DSG gearbox for just a week - it is a brilliant box and is so much more responsive than past DSG boxes i have driven (especially the awful 7 speed dry clutch one i'm coming from).

However i notice VW really have gone full eco on the shift points for D mode. The gearbox will shift to 6th gear as low as 32mph! - which is way too low and does result in the engine lugging somewhat. 

A DSG tune has moved much further up my list of mod's!

7 hours ago, SpursMadDave said:

I think what you are describing is just the rev matching, maybe as you say more apparent with exhaust flaps coded open, I know I notice it more on sport mode

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Yeah from the videos I’ve captured of it so far watching them back it appears to be rev matching. Earlier when engine oil was under 50c I had come to a stop and the gearbox was still in 2nd and it revved to 1.5k rpm for two seconds then dropped into 1st. Do we think it would benefit from a DSG reset?

Yeah from the videos I’ve captured of it so far watching them back it appears to be rev matching. Earlier when engine oil was under 50c I had come to a stop and the gearbox was still in 2nd and it revved to 1.5k rpm for two seconds then dropped into 1st. Do we think it would benefit from a DSG reset?
If the engine oil was under 50c it may be significant and the box protecting itself maybe? A reset wouldn't hurt I guess but that's a dealer job I think to do properly

On 16/01/2019 at 20:09, SpursMadDave said:

If the engine oil was under 50c it may be significant and the box protecting itself maybe? A reset wouldn't hurt I guess but that's a dealer job I think to do properly

Thanks for your advice Dave it’s appreciated, I shall see how it gets on before getting the reset!👍🏼

On 17/01/2019 at 00:15, blower said:

Having owned my R with the 7 speed DSG gearbox for just a week - it is a brilliant box and is so much more responsive than past DSG boxes i have driven (especially the awful 7 speed dry clutch one i'm coming from).

However i notice VW really have gone full eco on the shift points for D mode. The gearbox will shift to 6th gear as low as 32mph! - which is way too low and does result in the engine lugging somewhat. 

A DSG tune has moved much further up my list of mod's!

Yeah I agree on eco tuning in D - it seems to lug, but if you look at engine spec, full torque is available at something like 1500 rpm.

A quick flex of the right boot and it picks up in gear pretty quickly. 

Just doesn't sound good grumbling along though.

I find my dsg I’m in a 7r with the 6 speed useless first thing in the morning when cold once it’s warmed up tho it’s great my only complaint would be that the 6th is to short so at 70mph it’s at 2500rpm. 

I find my dsg I’m in a 7r with the 6 speed useless first thing in the morning when cold once it’s warmed up tho it’s great my only complaint would be that the 6th is to short so at 70mph it’s at 2500rpm. 
I like the fact that on a cold morning I can pull away almost instantly and in D the gearbox will change up quickly well before 2k revs

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Great read, thank you.

I'm coming from an run of manuals and most recently a conventional auto, so I'm looking forward to bearing this all in mind.

I'm sure i'll still experience my share of WTF moments though!