DCC comparison with standard suspension

So, I will be returning my G7R in approx 6 months time, and so thoughts are turning what to replace it with.

High on the list is another G7R :)

My current car is running standard suspension setup, and for hooning about its great. However 70-80% of the time I'm pootling around urban potholed, lumpy crappy roads.

Being the only car in the household means it has to double up as a comfy cruiser for tge folks aswell, and I'm forever apologising for the slightly bumpy ride.

So, to the point. How good is the DCC? Will it make the car a comfy cruiser when required?

To those who have compared it directly to the standard setup. Where do the settings match to?

I.e. Does standard on the DCC = standard on a normal setup, or is it slightly skewed?

Are the differences between each setting really noticeable?

TBH I'm really happy with the sportiness of the standard setup, so only really interested in it's ability to add comfort. Will it meet my brief?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This generation of DCC is good IMO.  More noticeable difference between the modes than 1st gen.  It definitely softens the ride in comfort mode. For my liking it's too floaty or wallowy, I almost alwa

I have 18 Cadiz with DCC. In the city DCC is always on comfort mode, superb ride. I highly recomend it even if you`ll have the smaller, 18 wheels. Big difference. I had golf 7 1.4 tsi COD, with 17 whe

So many positive comments on the DCC, I think it's going to have to be spec'd

Just to agree with you on the standard suspension. Its pretty tight, and if bought would not have gone for the DCC for the grip/ roll and ride stiffness as the standard set up has all that

Eager to hear the benefits of DCC myself- is it just so the wife gets a smoother ride (If you know what I mean)

This generation of DCC is good IMO.  More noticeable difference between the modes than 1st gen.  It definitely softens the ride in comfort mode. For my liking it's too floaty or wallowy, I almost always have it in Normal or Sport, which I actually find good on potholed/bumpy roads, but Comfort is perfect for when the aging folks are in the back, and for those less forgiving of a firm ride.  If this is your only household car then I would say it's probably worth speccing it just to give you the choice when you need it.  

Decision may also be affected by choice of wheels.  If you are going for 19's then, again it's worth having it available to offset the slightly harder ride, should you want to.  If you're on 18's not necessary from that point of view as optimum ride already.

All things considered I would say it will meet your brief nicely.

I had the DCC on my scirocco, which had 18s. I virtually always had it in Normal mode but sometimes pushed it into Sport and Comfort depending upon the circumstance. There was a difference, but I wouldn't say it was that much, and not worth me wanting it on my GTD, which has 19s. 

The ride on the GTD is firmer than the scirocco, and noticeable after I've been driving a crap rental for a few days that seems to float about on the roads. However, it does seem quite smooth after getting out of a Chinook! Still, for me I don't think that the DCC would have been a good investment on the car, although I haven't driven a car with it to compare. As Rebecca said, it's an improvement over the past generation DCC. 

I havent specced it on my R either, although I am back to 18s again.

Having owned an R with 18's and 19's both with DCC and been in another R on 18's with no DCC and standard golfs my advise would be......

The DCC does make a slight difference on the 18's but I would suggest you could live without it. If your splashing £895 on 19's then the ride is slightly harder and the DCC does make it more noticeable between comfort and sport.  So if I was doing a new R again I would go for 18's no DCC and 19's with DCC would be my recommendation.

Having owned an R with 18's and 19's both with DCC and been in another R on 18's with no DCC and standard golfs my advise would be......

The DCC does make a slight difference on the 18's but I would suggest you could live without it. If your splashing £895 on 19's then the ride is slightly harder and the DCC does make it more noticeable between comfort and sport. So if I was doing a new R again I would go for 18's no DCC and 19's with DCC would be my recommendation.

I'll more than likely stay with the 18's, as I'm one of those wierd people that actually like the Cadiz :D

The ride on standard setup when shifting along on the 18's is great, a really good balance and not to harsh considering the sharp & precise turn in.

Thing is, I'm wanting my cake and eat it though. I just want a bit of extra comfort when on a lazy cruise with the folks :)

I would suggest it is not worth the money if staying with Cadiz wheels (I like them too but second R is black and didn't want black/dark wheels as well however already considering getting the prets powder coated dark grey now!!).

I would bet you end up driving around in normal mode. Sounds like you need a test drive!

I have 18 Cadiz with DCC. In the city DCC is always on comfort mode, superb ride. I highly recomend it even if you`ll have the smaller, 18 wheels. Big difference. I had golf 7 1.4 tsi COD, with 17 wheels, sport suspension, without DCC and the ride was harder than here on 18 wheels with DCC set to comfort mode. A must have in my opinion!

I have DCC for the same reason, my wife drives it and I wanted it to be as comfortable as possible for her and I think it does make a difference. I was driving over speed bumps, country lanes and potted roads and "Comfort" is easier on the spine that "Normal". If I get another R I would get DCC again. 

This generation of DCC is good IMO.  More noticeable difference between the modes than 1st gen.  It definitely softens the ride in comfort mode. For my liking it's too floaty or wallowy, 

I agree it is very soft in Comfort. Normal is not too harsh and is OK over the speed bumps

If this is your only household car then I would say it's probably worth speccing it just to give you the choice when you need it.  

Decision may also be affected by choice of wheels.  If you are going for 19's then, again it's worth having it available to offset the slightly harder ride, should you want to.  If you're on 18's not necessary from that point of view as optimum ride already.

As always I find myself agreeing with Rebecca ... 

I specced DCC without trying it as very few dealer demo cars have it, and hoping that it lived up to the manufacturers claims. After 150 mile round trip yesterday it definitely does. The harsh and crashr ride of my RS3 is already a dim and distant memory.

I agree it is very soft in Comfort. Normal is not too harsh and is OK over the speed bumps

As always I find myself agreeing with Rebecca ... 

I specced DCC without trying it as very few dealer demo cars have it, and hoping that it lived up to the manufacturers claims. After 150 mile round trip yesterday it definitely does. The harsh and crashr ride of my RS3 is already a dim and distant memory.

I find that, as Normal and Sport setting 'skips' over the bumps as opposed to absorbing every one, it's surprisingly comfortable on poor road surfaces.  Guess there's a bit of a trade off from a road holding perspective but car still feels glued to the road.  Of course a good set of rubber shoes helps ;-)

We agree to agree on many things Colin.  :afro:

The previous gen DCC (formerly known as ACC, which now means something totally different in VW speak  :rolleyes: ), was a different story - barely any discernible difference between settings, and a waste of cash IMO.  At the end of 3 years (also on 19's), I was all set to ditch it this time round when going for the R, but got carried away when ticking the options boxes.  Glad I did. The improvements made, make it a very worthwhile addition to this car.  Sure, I could happily live without it and the standard set up would be fine for just me, but if you value your family's comfort at all, it's a box worth ticking.

Btw Colin, how are you liking your new Reflex Silver R?  I hope you will post up some musings when you've gotten to know it a little better.  :)

I had DCC on my GTI PP and don't have it on my R. I would say "normal" on DCC is slightly softer than "normal" on standard suspension. In other words "normal" on passive dampers is somewhere between "normal" and "sport" with DCC. 

I don't miss it that much, i find the standard suspension on the R very good on 18 inch wheels but i do find myself avoiding potholes and manhole covers more than I did when in "comfort" on my GTI. 

Edited by Juicetin

Btw Colin, how are you liking your new Reflex Silver R?  I hope you will post up some musings when you've gotten to know it a little better.  :)

Yes - review coming real soon !! Now over 230 miles and the car is dirty already but will only need a foam and rinse I think. I still have some detailing to do (outside rubber seals and leather inside) and then wheels off to treat the insides ... Always so much to do in an OCD detailers life!! Even more because don't have a garage to fit the car in  :sad: