Booth11

Mk7 R - How to fit S2T Paddle Shifters

Fitting S2T replacement Paddle Shifters

Never been a fan of the standard fit oem paddles so settled on S2T paddle shifters as a replacement.  Available in 3 styles and various finishes - I chose B3's in polished black. 

http://www.s2tpp.com/VW.html

22703697888_bd68dac4ee_o.jpg

22499732344_5dc24701f7_o.jpg

Very pleased with them, look like they belong and how it should've come out of the factory.  Feel lovely to use, very tactile and the extended length gives a feeling of greater control.  Quality is excellent.  Pricy but well worth the money IMO.  Arrived in less than  a week from the US. 

The S2T's are an absolute doddle to fit, took only max 5 mins to do both sides.  Here's a few pics and notes on the installation.

S2T paddle shifters installation

I used B3 style S2T shifters but the process is the same for any of their Mk7 shifters.  The official installation guide advises disconnecting the battery and pulling the airbag fuse but this is not necessary so I didn't bother.

Turn the steering wheel upside down for easier access - Fig 1.  Locate the plastic pin which holds the oem plastic paddle on - Fig 2. Using a pair of slim long nose pliers, gently pull the pin out all the way and put somewhere safe until later - Fig 3.  The pins comes out easily - Fig 4.  Once removed, pull the paddle casing off, it should pull easily from the housing - Fig 5. 

Fig 1

22547494234_236fa31442_o.jpg

Fig 2

23163114596_989142d6e9_o.jpg

Fig 3

22547692263_10bbe3c393_o.jpg

Fig 4

23148632816_5d2edf3a92_o.jpg

Fig 5

22780577747_84d13025bb_o.jpg

Making sure you have the correct left or right paddle shifter to hand (remember the wheel is upside down), line up the new shifter and locate it into the plastic paddle housing still attached to the back of the steering wheel (it can only go into the plastic paddle housing one way). The left edge of the new shifter, clips into the left side of the housing where the 2 little silver metal prongs are (in front of the 2 rubber stops) where the arrow is pointing in Fig 6 below.  Hooking the edge of the new paddle under the prongs will ensure the paddles has its spring return.  Once hooked in push the rest shifter into place - Fig 7.  Once the new shifter is seated correctly the holes at the top and bottom (where the plastic pin needs to go back through) will line up and the paddle will 'spring' back and forth when pushed, test it does this - Fig 8.  Once seated correctly, with the holes lined up, re-insert the plastic pin you removed earlier and ensure it is pushed in all the way - Fig 9  You may need to use the tip of the pliers to push it in to its fullest extent.

Fig 6

23149583236_3ab4c5a966_o.jpg

Fig 7

22546213434_13711c85d4_o.jpg

Fig 8

22546212424_b25e7fd0a2_o.jpg

Fig 9

22807704819_fdfa352a51_o.jpg

And that's it! All done! 

What did you do with regards to the electrical supply to the standard paddle illumination?

Can you unplug that without the need to remove the airbag?

Nothing.  It doesn't come into the equation.  S2T paddles (all styles) have no lighting up function so you lose that aspect but IMO it's no great loss and the gains far outweigh it.  

You don't need to do anything with any electrical wires as they are within the part of the paddle unit that remains attached to the steering wheel.  You are only swap part of the paddle with this mod - just the shifter lever.  The other part remains untouched and that's where the connections are. So the connection is just as before but the lighting up function is not utilised by the new S2Tvpaddle shifters.  I did not disable the airbag or disconnect the battery (as the official instructions suggest) and no problems at all, it's simply not necessary.  I and a fair few others have fitted the shifters this way. 

Ah, I see, that's makes sense now, I assumed the wiring for the illumination on the stock paddles was on the part that gets removed

Thanks for clearing that up

Some cars have it in the outer part but not the Golf fortunately.  Makes things simple.  They really are just Plug and Play.  :afro:

A mate fitted his today and I must say there a lovely bit of kit. 

They are top quality shifters, pricy but so worth it, wouldn't be without mine for love nor money, second best addition to the car (after pedal box).  Which design did your mate go for? 

They are top quality shifters, pricy but so worth it, wouldn't be without mine for love nor money, second best addition to the car (after pedal box).  Which design did your mate go for? 

Same as yours the B3's had a sit in his car and absolutely feel in love with them like you say pricey but then most quality things are.