Mk7/7.5 (and also mk8R) - How to fit a replacement footrest

Fitting a replacement footrest 

The standard plastic footrest cover is ok but there is a nicer alternative which looks very oem and matches in nicely with the pedals.  Purchased from Aliexpress.  Original link from which I purchased is no longer valid but one the same here. 

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32706138749.html

However I ordered this one for my mk8 and the quality is poorer 

But same type available here on eBay and quality is good from feedback from another forum member.  Feedback and link courtesy of @NJS 👍

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RHD-Right-Foot-Rest-Pedal-Steel-Kick-Panel-Stainless-Steel-For-VW-Golf-MK7/402655358851?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Also available here

http://www.superskoda.com/Volkswagen/Golf-VII/VW-Golf-VII-MK7-GTi-designed-footrest-for-RHD-cars-MANUAL-TRANSMISSION

This is suitable for both DSG and Manual cars.  Easy job - takes approx 20 mins.  Requires a T20 Torx bit and a sharp knife/blade. 

Quick installation guide below:

OEM footrest cover - locate Torx screw

24558127435_f595a65ce5_o.jpg

The screw recess is quite deep so you have to locate the torx screw head by feel with the screwdriver, but easy enough.

23931449093_020d91558a_o.jpg

Undo Torx screw - T20 screw Torx bit required

24475759291_fd680db9c0_k.jpg

Once unscrewed and torx screw set aside, remove the oem footrest by pushing it up towards the bulkhead, tilting it at the same time.  Once removed, note the square holes into which the locating lugs on the new footrest cover will slot into.

Locating holes

24475816201_8e24676a3b_k.jpg

OEM locating lugs have a marginally wider slot than those on the aftermarket footrest cover, so a little of the plastic may need shaving off with a sharp knife

OEM slots

24558036165_8b84bfcff6_k.jpg

Replacement footrest slots - slightly narrower - may need a little slicing off.

23931304873_5780f70d38_o.jpg

Fit new footrest cover - angle it into place and slide it from the top pushing down and to the left at the same time.  Give it a moderate tap from the top and it will slot into place.  Screw Torx screw back into position.  The screw hole on  the new footrest is much shallower than on the oem one.

24449741362_e743214529_k.jpg

All done

24449731042_52b8708993_o.jpg

24190291209_15f17a4867_o.jpg

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fitting a replacement footrest    The standard plastic footrest cover is ok but there is a nicer alternative which looks very oem and matches in nicely with the pedals.  Purchased from Aliex

I bought one on the 21st December It arrived 29th December All I can say is Quality oe style part Fitted in less than 5m And fits perfectly No remedial work with a blade either Looks sup

Installed footrest today. Thanks to Booth11 for the "How-to"

Posted Images

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just placed my order  :azn:  How long did it take to turn up? Not bad for $42

Can't remember exactly but approx 2 weeks.  They state 3 weeks but it's usually quicker.  Someone I know has just received theirs and that took 15 days in total. It's worth the wait.  :afro:

• 2 months later...

Ordered one of these last week as a 'back to work after the holidays treat'  :nerd: !

Will be fitting it this coming weekend so really appreciate stumbling across this 'how to'

Greatly appreciated  :afro:

Looks soooooo much better than the original

It will take you longer to find your tools than to actually fit it :-) 

They are not perfect but look  a lot better than the standard offering and definitely a value for money upgrade

J.

• Booth11 changed the title to Mk7/7.5 (and also mk8R) - How to fit a replacement footrest