Mk7 R - How to fit a DTUK PedalBox

Fitting a DTUK PedalBox

Having decided to fit a DTUK PedalBox to wake up the throttle, I have done a bit of a photo installation guide. Firstly here is the 'official' DTUK fitting video, but this is on the simplistic side and not quite the reality.

Pedal box available from DTUK, quote code RF80 for forum discount.

Latest pedal boxes

https://www.diesel-performance.co.uk/products-overview/?key=DTUK+Pedal+Box

https://www.diesel-performance.co.uk/products-overview/?key=DTUK+Pedal+Box+Plus

Having heard a few horror stories about the very tight tolerances of some of the connectors and the risk of the grey clip breaking rendering it unremovable, As a precaution I decided to do the install in a slightly different order to the official video just in case it all went pear-shaped then I wouldn’t be left with a half install and an immobilised car. I took my time and it all went according to plan thankfully. Another very useful video to watch prior to installation is the one below, which shows why fitting connectors can be problematic and how to alleviate the issue.

EDIT: DTUK have now replaced the old style grey clip with a new red oem clip so issues experienced previously have been resolved.

My installation guide:

Locate the trim plate - removing this makes it much easier to access the connectors. One Torx screw to undo then just slide it backwards to remove. Alternatively you can remove the storage cubby above the accelerator pedal and access from there.

24540677853_062090f605_o.jpg

Locate the oem connector above the throttle pedal and push the red button inwards and upwards till it unlocks, then pull the whole black connector off. The red button was very, very stiff and took a lot of perseverance but eventually released.

25141297246_97604039c2_o.jpg

25074269741_a687214aeb_o.jpg

Take the black pedal box connector (one without the grey button) and slide it into the oem red button connector until it clicks. Some have had trouble with this being a very tight fit but I had no problem with it at all. The key is to ensure you align the little notch on the back of the connector with the corresponding slot on the red clip connector. The other key is to make sure you slide it in perfectly straight and not at an angle, then it should slide in ok.

24540676693_5a801fd809_o.jpg

25141179276_b83eb1ecc7_o.jpg

Once pushed in a far as it will go, push the red button inwards and downwards until it locks down into place. Again this was stiff and took a lot of effort but the button locked down eventually. Check it is secure.

24540695643_e96eedee56_o.jpg

Take the other remaining pedal box connector (the one with the grey button) and slide it over the port above the throttle pedal (the one from which originally housed the the red button connector).

24540691703_96445fd71f_o.jpg

Push the connector down and click it into place and the grey button moves upwards and locks. Check it is secure.

24800055389_1d91435aa1_o.jpg

Replace the flat trim piece by sliding it back into place and securing the Torx screw.

25167510685_07a640a7a2_o.jpg

I decided to keep the pedal box controller in the driver’s side cubby, so just half opened the cubby and fed the cable and controller over the gap at the back.

24540692853_0de0222293_o.jpg

Finally it's a case of trying out different setting as per the instruction book to see what suits you best. I have settled on Sport +1 green light setting.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fitting a DTUK PedalBox   Having decided to fit a DTUK PedalBox to wake up the throttle, I have done a bit of a photo installation guide. Firstly here is the 'official' DTUK fitting video, b

I've just fitted the Pedal Box following the instructions above. I removed the trim panel and the driver's cubby which made it really easy to connect. Set it at Sport with +2 and, bl**dy hell, what d

OK, it's official. My wife has endorsed the pedal box - "you just push the pedal .... and it goes!". Big smiles all round.

Great instructions, for the cost of the unit what is your main benefit from having it installed? 

It removes completely the 'lag' or first dead inch of pedal travel and sharpens the throttle response considerably.  

This thread I started, when I was considering it, is worth a read. http://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/12165-pedal-box-for-dsg/

Nice guide.

Why didnt you pull out the storage box above accelerator and do it from there? Takes 5 mins at most.

Dave

I might've done if I'd have thought about it, lol. Didn't read anywhere about that method. Didn't take long though and was more concerned about getting it right without snapping anything, than speed. I know a few that have had difficulties with connectors so it's a job best not hurried :-)

• 1 month later...

Nice guide.

Why didnt you pull out the storage box above accelerator and do it from there?  Takes 5 mins at most.

Dave

Just fitted mine and did it this way, so easy as you are not lying on your back in the footwell, so the red clip came off easily, took me a whole 5 mins, a lot easier than I was expecting.

Now to play...  :cheesy:

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got round to fitting my pedal box today!

No problems with the red retaining clip, the main problem I had was removing the OEM accelerator coupler! All in took me 10 mins to do this and I just found this guide after I had I installed mine lol!

• 7 months later...

Installed today following the guide, many thanks for it. Put it on same settings as you, lag gone totally which was a bit of a shock stupidly enough

Think it's better now they've changed the old grey clip to a red oem style one.  Did it click and lock in easily?

My current setting has moved up a notch from original one, now have it on Sport setting (amber light) with 2 green lights, that's the sweet spot for me. 

Think it's better now they've changed the old grey clip to a red oem style one. Did it click and lock in easily?

My current setting has moved up a notch from original one, now have it on Sport setting (amber light) with 2 green lights, that's the sweet spot for me.

Getting the OEM connector off was easy, straight up. And connector on the DTUK, straight in as well. All good, just getting used to departing the second I press the accelerator not 2 seconds later, then see if I up to sport plus 2

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Getting the OEM connector off was easy, straight up. And connector on the DTUK, straight in as well. All good, just getting used to departing the second I press the accelerator not 2 seconds later, then see if I up to sport plus 2

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

If you ever turn it off (for service etc) and forget to turn it back on straight away, you'll think your car's broke, lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Does it make a difference to the pedal in sport gearbox mode for DSG? I run in race mode always and am increasingly finding myself using sport DSG auto/manual which seems quite responsive, to be fair though I have acclimatised to the lag in normal drive mode so perhaps my idea of responsive is skewed somewhat having done 18k+ with it?