Camnhoj

Eco mode !

The DSG gets a lot of love on this forum. Which is understandable as it is a great bit of kit if you like that kind of thing. 

However, I for one am so glad I went for the manual. It was a gamble given I could only find DSG Rs to test drive. The manual is simply more interactive than the DSG and IMHO makes driving the R at pace much more satisfying. 

But back on topic. Eco mode!

My car has only done 1200 miles, and its often said that MPG improves as engines wear in. I'm contemplating making a slightly more scientific comparison when the car is a little older. My daily usage is fairly consistent for 2 or 3 days a week so it won't be difficult to keep note of MPG on the respective days and hopefully prove whether eco mode on the manual R does actually benefit fuel consumption. 

NB - this doesn't mean that I don't enjoying using the R to it's full potential. More that I want to better understand a potentially useful feature. 

I don't like eco mode at all. Really dislike the coast feature and transition from coast to being back on the throttle it jerky.

I find i get the best mpg on the motorway in race sports manual. i dont know if having the outer exhausts helps improves the exhaust gas flow. Eco mode i seam to get a lower mpg as i have to use more throttle travel to get the car to move.

Only time I bother with stupid Eco is when I'm using ACC in those stupid 50mph average zones! As soon as I see that lovely white sign with the black line- straight back into race and 'S'- just the way it should be!

Used eco mode once - that was enough.

Don't mind start/stop mode at all, works a charm for me. On my previous car (Astra J VXR), it was crap so was always switched off.

Other than that, my car is never in anything other than race mode.

Oh, and I LOVE my manual gearbox :afro:

I use Eco from time to time, and notice a reasonable increase in MPG - and that's predominantly due to the coasting feature of the DSG.

What I like:

- Coasting to a stop at the end of a dual carriageway saves lots of fuel

- The relaxed driving technique it creates

What I don't like:

- Using Eco on motorways - the cut in & out of coasting is jerky at speed (as Booth11 says), and I prefer engine braking to lose speed.

- coasting requires more thought, if you are used to engine braking then you have to let off further ahead than usual or you find your going to fast. This is why I don't use it every day, as at 6am I can't concentrate hard enough to get the best out of it :grin:

I've used it a couple of times when I needed to stretch a few more miles of range out of the tank, it's not something I use regularly though, however it's nice to have the facility there if/when required and does definitely improve mpg if you drive it accordingly, in my experience at least.

Coasting is quite odd at first, but can also be quite entertaining, on one of my commuting routes, there is a longish generally downhill section of road, with a few dips & turns on the way, so the car acts like a rollercoaster and I've tried to ride gravity a couple of times now to see how far I can make it LOL

I've used it a couple of times when I needed to stretch a few more miles of range out of the tank, it's not something I use regularly though, however it's nice to have the facility there if/when required and does definitely improve mpg if you drive it accordingly, in my experience at least.

Coasting is quite odd at first, but can also be quite entertaining, on one of my commuting routes, there is a longish generally downhill section of road, with a few dips & turns on the way, so the car acts like a rollercoaster and I've tried to ride gravity a couple of times now to see how far I can make it LOL

If you go down the previously recently discussed route of opening all four flaps permanently (assuming you haven't already), you are categorically banned from ever using Eco mode. :tongue:  And if you do use it, never own up to it on this forum.   :grin:   

If you go down the previously recently discussed route of opening all four flaps permanently (assuming you haven't already), you are categorically banned from ever using Eco mode. :tongue:  And if you do use it, never own up to it on this forum.   :grin:   

It was either that or run out of fuel LOL

My usual preference is Individual > S > Manual, as you well know!  :cheesy:

It was either that or run out of fuel LOL

My usual preference is Individual > S > Manual, as you well know!  :cheesy:

Lol.  Will let that one slide then.  :wink:   I know your S-Manual credentials are (usually) good.  But two strikes and you're out. :grin:         

i like eco mode, perhaps it's just my driving style.

eco for general driving , anticipate either an overtake or a more challenging situation , change mode to sport , change brain to sport move from following to contact position pop the overtake or corner then at some point revert back.  Perhaps it's just old age or realisation that you can't drive at 9/10 or 10/10 for too long without coming to grief. 

Lol.  Will let that one slide then.  :wink:   I know your S-Manual credentials are (usually) good.  But two strikes and you're out. :grin:         

LOL I'll consider myself warned...  :hello: