SilverChariot

STICKY: How to clean your R properly

So, I'm a bit bored today. :) Got back off holiday recently and got a minor case of "delhi belly" so can't really go anywhere.

Decided to give the R a good exterior clean... so, being a complete geek, thought I'd document it for you all.

First of all, start with one moderately dirty R:

P1030302.jpg

P1030305.jpg

P1030309.jpg

P1030310.jpg

The R is now ready to be washed. I used Meguiar's NXT Generation Car Wash:

P1030315.jpg

and a lambs wool wash mitt:

P1030319.jpg

I utilised the two bucket cleaning method where the first bucket (right) contains your car wash solution as normal. The second bucket (left) contains just clean fresh water.

P1030316.jpg

First, I soaked the mitt in the wash solution and began washing the car. Then, before dunking the wash mitt back into the wash solution, I rinsed it out in the second bucket of fresh water. This rinses out the dirt and grit particles from the mitt so they cannot come into contact with your paintwork, thus reducing the chances of inflicting the dreaded swirls on your baby.

I always clean the car from top to bottom (starting with bonnet and roof). This means I leave the dirtiest parts of the car (sills and lower half) until last.

P1030320.jpg

P1030326.jpg

After washing sections of the car, I rinse thoroughly with the hose:

P1030322.jpg

Finally, I like to clean the wheels last (I know some prefer to do them first). I just soap them over with the mitt making sure I get inside and around the back of each of the spokes.

P1030332.jpg

This is where most people stop when cleaning a car. But, with dark colours, it is important to dry the car to prevent water spots leaving marks on the paintwork.

P1030335.jpg

I just use a normal beach towel (proper detailing freaks would use a microfibre waffle towel) to mop up the remaining water spots on the paintwork and wheels. The car does not have to be completely dry as the air will complete the drying process.

P1030336.jpg

One nice clean and dry roof:

P1030338.jpg

Finally, I get all the doors open and clean the sills.

P1030342.jpg

The car is now clean and dry... but that's only the start of the process. After a spot of lunch, I'll apply some wax and sealant to make the car really shine!

OK... so we ended up with a clean R:

P1030346.jpg

But now let's move onto the proper stuff... the detailing! :D

The first product I applied was Zaino AIO which is a cleaner, polisher and protectant all-in-one (hence the name):

P1030347.jpg

It was applied using a foam applicator in firm overlapping circular motions:

P1030351.jpg

P1030350.jpg

until the car was completely covered and was left to cure:

P1030353.jpg

Once cured (didn't take long in the Yorkshire heat), a microfibre cloth was used to buff the paintwork to a shiny finish:

P1030354.jpg

P1030357.jpg

Next, it's time for a sealant and for this I'm using Zaino Z-CS:

P1030358.jpg

Application is very simple: a fine mist is sprayed onto the area to be treated:

P1030360.jpg

Then, it is wiped over with a microfibre cloth (or foam applicator if you prefer) in overlapping motions to create a high lustre finish. The beauty of the product is that no buffing is required... you simply wait for the product to dry:

P1030361.jpg

The product leaves no residue and can be applied to paintwork, glass, wheels, plastic or trim... just about anywhere:

P1030362.jpg

P1030363.jpg

P1030364.jpg

Next, it's time to detail those tailpipes. Nothing worse than dirty exhaust pipes on a clean car (analogous to wearing dirty Y-fronts with an Armani suit). For this, I'm using the ever faithful Autosol:

P1030365.jpg

The product is a paste which you apply to the pipes and then rub vigorously with a microfibre cloth to create super shiny poo chutes.

P1030366.jpg

P1030368.jpg

Some people like to clean the inside of the exhaust pipes too with wire wool, but I can't be bothered. End result is a nice shiny set of tailpipes:

P1030369.jpg

Next, it's time for some sealant for the wheels. For this, the product I've chosen is Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant:

P1030371.jpg

I applied it to wheels the with a microfibre cloth, then left it for a few minutes to cure before buffing off:

P1030372.jpg

Nearly there... but next it's time for the tyres to get some attention. For this I'm using Autoglym Instant Tyre Dressing:

P1030374.jpg

I just slapped it on with a microfibre cloth to clean the tyres and give them a nice natural sheen finish:

P1030379.jpg

Finally, there is a detail spray I like to apply right at the end of the detailing process which provides a deeper lustre and a very wet glossy look to the paintwork. The product is called Zaino Z-8 Grand Finale:

P1030383.jpg

To apply, you very lightly mist the product on the panel to be treated:

P1030384.jpg

Then, immediately wipe with a microfibre cloth until completely slick and dry. You end up with a superb and very smooth finish. :)

P1030385.jpg

The end result is here:

P1030388.jpg

Not a great picture, but this post is more about the process than the end result. I hope it was educational or, at least, fun to read! 8-)

Looks blooming gorgeous!!!! Well done.

I'll try and do the same with my method and AG products this weekend then post em up too...

Ps you forgot the interior, that's like having a fur coat and no knickers! ;)

Looking good  8) 8) 8)

Your tyres look a lot better for the tyre dressing  ;)  

I'm a "wheel first" man ... 8-)

Thanks! I used to be a "wheel first" man when I had silver wheels. I find the black wheels are easier to clean (I guess the dark brake dust and road tar doesn't show up as much) and I don't bother with the Bilberry or the EZ Detail Brush... weird!

Looks blooming gorgeous!!!! Well done.

I'll try and do the same with my method and AG products this weekend then post em up too...

Ps you forgot the interior, that's like having a fur coat and no knickers! ;)

Thanks... look forward to hearing about your method! The interior was already clean... :)

Belfast Col's method:

Stage 1: Get in the car, fart and open the window after a cheeky sniff

Stage 2: Drive to the Polish lads round the corner

Stage 3: Check in via Face Book

Stage 4: Pay £6

Stage 5: Admire the water marks

Ta'daaaaaa

Belfast Col's method:

Stage 1: Get in the car, fart and open the window after a cheeky sniff

Stage 2: Drive to the Polish lads round the corner

Stage 3: Check in via Face Book

Stage 4: Pay £6

Stage 5: Admire the water marks

Ta'daaaaaa

You forgot to get the Irish fry while waiting!!!

Proper NI lad!!

Goes without saying!!

Ps. Just ordered a 100g tube of Autosol on Amazon (I love Amazon!).

My pipes have never been cleaned in 29,000 miles so not sure how good this Autsol stuff is but I will do some before and after shots!

Ok, just cleaned my pipes and they look loads better but......how do i remove the soot from the inside?? I tried crap wheel cleaner followed by Stovax ]http://www.stovax.com/accessories/accessories/care__maintenance_products.aspx] but even it couldn't remove all the crap!!

Next step is good old Wonder Wheels unless anyone can suggest anything better.

Ps. The inside has 29,000 miles worth of shit up it!

Ok, just cleaned my pipes and they look loads better but......how do i remove the soot from the inside?? I

Your best bet is to stick a hot damp MF cloth, soaked in fairy liquid inside for a while  :D

Then once it has softened the soot slightly, use some Autosol or other metal cleaner "paste" with "00 guage" wire wool and lots of elbow grease  ;)

You said you like Amazon, so here it is :-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Faithfull-ASW1O ... 137&sr=8-1

EDIT : Wear some rubber gloves too ... it's a mucky job  8-|

Should get your exhaust from this :-

ExhaustsDirty.jpg

to this :-

ExhaustsClean.jpg

ExhaustClean2.jpg

Cheers Jonny, will get some and get them clean(er).

Should have taken a few photos but they looked like yours (before!)

Heading over the 62 this morning so will keep an eye out for you!