I think it's time to set up a thread for my Golf. I did this on MiniTorque a few years ago with my R53 Cooper S and all of a sudden it went like a bat out of hell and I spent thousands.

That's what I plan on doing again, but on a better car, and this time, with more displacement, 4wd and a turbo. More potential for sure.

Picked up the car mid-April. I was looking around and originally was planning on getting DSG, and in the Lapiz blue. Went to Leicester to test drive theirs, but when I arrived, I was told it had sold. Great customer service. Anyway, back in Northampton we have a Parkway dealer. I test drove their Black 14 plate Golf R, fully specced apart from Pro Nav (bummer) and fell in love. Torquey, comfortable and full of gadgets. Everything I was lacking in the Cooper S (a shelled out tin can with bucket seats). I left a deposit and picked it up the following weekend.

I quickly got bored with the power. It just wasn't aggressive enough. Felt quick initially but the inertia of power quickly faded away. I was in communication with Will @ VRS Northampton (handy for me, only about 7 miles away) over email for a while, before I booked in for an APR Stage 1 Low Output map.

This transformed the car - how it should have been from factory. The turbo has a noticeably more satisfying note, the car pulls significantly harder and hits 1xx with ease. But, I have to go all out, or nothing at all, so this is only the beginning.

The clutch is slipping intermittently, so a quick call to Will to purchase their daddy of Paddle clutches. This should be fitted this week, along with VWR springs (coilovers are 100% in the pipeline, but not a necessity just yet).

Then the fun really begins. Stay tuned.

CURRENT SPEC (15/06/16)

- APR Stage 1 Low Output

- Sachs Performance Clutch 4 Paddle Sintered

- Carbon Mirror Caps

- VWR Lowering Springs

- Team Dynamic Pro Race 1.2 18" w/ Pilot Cup 2's

9407a5debe86557fcd6c27d5229d8d49.jpg

Only one I got in the dealership. I need to get it behind a camera but to be honest right now it looks like any other R apart from the debadge. I need to get it looking different.

I was thinking about getting the prets refurbed in anthracite or similar. I'm not fussed about changing wheels just yet, I'm a all-out performance head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sachs Organic Paddle Clutch fitted today at VRS Northampton, along with VWR lowering springs. It's early days, but the clutch feels very strong. I will need to bed it in before I can give it hell, so I'll report back.

Black Pro Race 1.2s with Pilot Cups bought from a member off here due to arrive this week.

Things are moving very quickly.

Black wheels on a black motor...that's looks to look a beast!!!

Judging by the Mini and the mods so far, surely you'll be going stage 2 soon?

Black wheels on a black motor...that's looks to look a beast!!!

Judging by the Mini and the mods so far, surely you'll be going stage 2 soon?

Stage 2 next few months mate!

And thanks for your comments. Subscribe mate!

Stage 2 next few months mate!

And thanks for your comments. Subscribe mate!

Wish I had the balls to mod lol. Love to go stage 1, but may be chopping the R in end of the year, so pointless shelling out the 700 sheets.

Done. ;)