A l 3 x

DRL dimming on indication

As standard my 2016 R does not do this, they just stay full brightness upon indicating. Is it

Possible to enable this? I've currently got it set where they flash alternately with the indicators but this looks a bit tacky and would rather it just dim down for the period of indicating.

They also don't dim down when sidelights are activated only when full headlights are, but I quite like this as is.

Why do you want to dim it? I love them full brightness all times.

Oncoming traffic won't at night!

Dim them to make the indicators stand out more

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

No one has complained about the brightness; no one has flashed me... and that's not how it works anyway, they stay on so why change it?

So do yours dim at night or have you made a change?

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

I've got mine set with headlights to be at 80% brightness, 100 in daytime and sidelight mode, but although these headlights are able to keep them bright with indicators due to the design, I think it looks quite classy the way it gradually dims down upon indication and makes

It more noticeable that you are indicating

On 11/06/2016 at 14:14, A l 3 x said:

They also don't dim down when sidelights are activated only when full headlights are, but I quite like this as is.

Hi and Merry Christmas!

Can you PLEASE tell me how to enable this in VCDS??

I have been looking for how to do this but all I am finding is information on how to increase the brightness of the DRL which then maintains that same level of brightness when headlights are on - not what I want.

What I would like is brighter sidelights but which then dim down as standard when headlights are turned on..

Thanks

@CosR What you need to do is to alter the Leucte-set values for the DRLs on your car.  Problem is that the identity of the Leuchte-sets varies depending on what type of lamps are fitted into the headlight assemblies and it also depends on how the Leuchte-sets on your car were factory programmed (this varies with mk7 model and country of sale).

So, first question: does your car have incandescent DRL lamps, or LED type? 

Second question:

• if incandescent, please post-up the complete Leuchte-set values on your car  for Leuchte4TFL LB4, or for Leuchte5 TFL RB32
  • if LED, please post-up the complete Leuchte-set values on your car for either Leuchte2SL VLB10 , or for Leuchte3SL VRB21

Don

On 30/12/2020 at 23:36, dv52 said:

@CosR What you need to do is to alter the Leucte-set values for the DRLs on your car.  Problem is that the identity of the Leuchte-sets varies depending on what type of lamps are fitted into the headlight assemblies and it also depends on how the Leuchte-sets on your car were factory programmed (this varies with mk7 model and country of sale).

So, first question: does your car have incandescent DRL lamps, or LED type? 

Second question:

• if incandescent, please post-up the complete Leuchte-set values on your car  for Leuchte4TFL LB4, or for Leuchte5 TFL RB32
  • if LED, please post-up the complete Leuchte-set values on your car for either Leuchte2SL VLB10 , or for Leuchte3SL VRB21

Don

Hi and thanks for the response.

My R is UK spec with LED Drl’s

All of the Leuchte values should be standard except for VLB10 Dimmwert CD2 and VRB21 Dimmwert CD3 which I have both increased from 26 to 50

The above coding has successfully resulted in brighter sidelights/parking lights however this level of brightness is maintained even when the full headlights are on, instead of dimming to 26

10 hours ago, CosR said:

Hi and thanks for the response.

My R is UK spec with LED Drl’s

All of the Leuchte values should be standard except for VLB10 Dimmwert CD2 and VRB21 Dimmwert CD3 which I have both increased from 26 to 50

The above coding has successfully resulted in brighter sidelights/parking lights however this level of brightness is maintained even when the full headlights are on, instead of dimming to 26

hmm........... OK - there might be a slight misunderstanding regarding how Leuchte-sets operate on MQB platform vehicles.

So, the first thing is definition of terms: when these lamps illuminate WITHOUT low-beam lights, they are called "Daytime Running Lights" (DRLs) - when they illuminate WITH low-beam lights, let's call them "Parking Lights" (PLs)

If your car is a UK Golf R with LED specs, then likely VLB10 would have been factory coded as shown at the end of this post and VRB21 would have been the same with the exception of the channel in the second insert below.

Note is that the DRL function happens on Lichtfunktion A - therefore the illumination level for this function is determined by Dimmwert AB. The factory set value is 100 as shown  - which is already at maximum illumination.

Now, you may have seen some Dimmwert values for LED lamps as high as 127- but this value only applies to specific Lasttyp settings (like 1 - LED Tagfahrlichtmodul Versorgung). However, just because 127 is a higher number than 100 doesn't mean that the illumination level of the LED is higher. Your Lasttyp setting as shown below uses what's called "analogue control" for the Pulse Width Modulation waveform (PWM-google it) to the LEDs. The other Lasttyp settings that allow a maximum value of 127, use "digital control". BUT, both Dimmwert values produce maximum illumination for their respective Lasttyp settings.

So, bottom line = Your DRL function is already factory set to its maximum illumination value - which kind-of makes sense IMO (why wouldn't the factory do this as the default value?). If you want the DRL illumination to decrease - simply reduce the value of Dimmwert AB.

The PL function happens on Lichtfunktion C and therefore its illumination is determined by Dimmwert CD. Changing this channel ONLY effects the PL illumination function (and the Lichtfunktion D function which is single-side PL)

Don

Lasttyp     >    4 - LED Tagfahrlichtmodul Signal
Lampendefektbitposition     >    48
Fehlerort mittleres Byte DTC-DFCC     >    4A
Lichtfunktion A     >    Daytime running lights
Lichtfunktion B     >    not active
Dimmwert AB     >    100
Lichtansteuerung HD AB     >    Always
Lichtfunktion C     >    Standlicht allgemein (Schlusslicht; Positionslicht; Begrenzungslicht)
Lichtfunktion D     >    Parklicht links (beidseitiges Parklicht aktiviert li & re)
Dimmwert CD     >    26
Dimming Direction CD     >    maximize
Lichtfunktion E     >    not active
Lichtfunktion F     >    not active
Dimmwert EF     >    0
Dimming Direction EF     >    maximize
Lichtfunktion G     >    not active
Lichtfunktion H     >    not active
Dimmwert GH     >    0

Leuchte3SL VRB21-Lichtfunktion D 3 > Parking light right

14 hours ago, dv52 said:

The PL function happens on Lichtfunktion C and therefore its illumination is determined by Dimmwert CD. Changing this channel ONLY effects the PL illumination function

Thanks for your info, you are clearly very knowledgeable on the subject!

As I mentioned, the problem with increasing PL brightness using Dimmwert CD value is that it maintains that value even when headlights are on - which i do not want.

The factory functionality is a follows with the light switch position:

Off = 100% Full brightness DRL
Parking Light = 26% brightness PL

Headlights= headlights on + PL @ 26%

What I am trying to achieve is this:

Off = 100% Full brightness DRL 
Parking Light = 100% brightness PL 

Hope that’s a bit clearer?

thanks..

11 hours ago, CosR said:

Thanks for your info, you are clearly very knowledgeable on the subject!

As I mentioned, the problem with increasing PL brightness using Dimmwert CD value is that it maintains that value even when headlights are on - which i do not want.

The factory functionality is a follows with the light switch position:

Off = 100% Full brightness DRL
Parking Light = 26% brightness PL

What I am trying to achieve is this:

Off = 100% Full brightness DRL 
Parking Light = 100% brightness PL 

Hope that’s a bit clearer?

thanks..

@CosR. hmm......... thanks for the kind words, but I  very much doubt that anyone outside the VW mother-ship really knows about Leuchte-programming. Problem is that this stuff seems to be commercial in confidence and there's nothing official that I can find in the public domain - so my understanding is all guess work!! 😀

As to your wants - now I understand what you are after!

Try this:

• on Leuchte2SL VLB10 and Leuchte3SL VRB21 for the adaptation channel Lichtfunktion B, ONLY if the current value on your car is not active, change to Standlicht vorn (Positionslicht; Begrenzungslicht)

But a word of caution if you implement this tweak - the reason why these lamps are dimmed to a low level  when used other than as DRLs is because they have no cut-off characteristics in their reflectors (called a "luminaire"). If you use these lamps during low ambient light conditions, or at night-time at full illumination, they will have the tendency to blind oncoming traffic, So -be considerate to drivers coming the other way before deciding to move the rotary light switch to the PL position -please!

Don