ATGNI

Which lowering springs?

No problem. I'm pretty sure that I have the Vogtland specs somewhere from when I was first looking at springs.

If anyone else has other brands in mind let me know.

Cheers mate. I want a 25mm drop so eibach are out. I've heard bad things about VWR and H&R but good things about Vogtland and ST.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

No problem. I'm pretty sure that I have the Vogtland specs somewhere from when I was first looking at springs.

If anyone else has other brands in mind let me know.

If you were able to compile a comprehensive list for as many options as you could find I think that would be well received!

Thread Bump:

I have a manual R with no DCC, on 18" Cadiz wheels - I love the car, except from when I'm throwing it round corners - the back end seems to wallow and lose significant grip. On country roads I corner at about 50mph, which hasn't been a problem previously, but I need a better response from the R.

I'm torn between Eibach Pros and Vogtland. 

Not having the DCC the Pros make a lot of sense, but I'm not sure how well they'll tighten things up at the rear. 

Can people weigh in? I'll also probably get an anti roll bar at some point.

Cheers in advance.

5 hours ago, RockR said:

Thread Bump:

I have a manual R with no DCC, on 18" Cadiz wheels - I love the car, except from when I'm throwing it round corners - the back end seems to wallow and lose significant grip. On country roads I corner at about 50mph, which hasn't been a problem previously, but I need a better response from the R.

I'm torn between Eibach Pros and Vogtland. 

Not having the DCC the Pros make a lot of sense, but I'm not sure how well they'll tighten things up at the rear. 

Can people weigh in? I'll also probably get an anti roll bar at some point.

Cheers in advance.

I've got Eibach Pro springs and a 22mm solid rear anti roll bar - Massively transformed the car to feel less synthetic and more real going around corners fast. I did the springs first for a few weeks. These alone make the car feel more planted, more connected with the road instead of awful oem springs which gave a noticeably unsatisfying, brittle ride. The oem springs would also make the car rise up over speed humps, whereas theEibachs ride speed humps much better, its like the car feels like it stays closer, tighter to the ground. 

The rear anti roll bar significantly improved turn in on bends and corners, makes the car feel more instantly switchable, direction wise. 

I hope I've explained this well enough, sometimes it's difficult to word specifically the changed, improved driving experience. 

My car feels more like my old Subaru's now and I'm fine with the little harder day to day ride as that's what I wanted in the first place. 🙂

18 hours ago, GregR-125 said:

I've got Eibach Pro springs and a 22mm solid rear anti roll bar - Massively transformed the car to feel less synthetic and more real going around corners fast. I did the springs first for a few weeks. These alone make the car feel more planted, more connected with the road instead of awful oem springs which gave a noticeably unsatisfying, brittle ride. The oem springs would also make the car rise up over speed humps, whereas theEibachs ride speed humps much better, its like the car feels like it stays closer, tighter to the ground. 

The rear anti roll bar significantly improved turn in on bends and corners, makes the car feel more instantly switchable, direction wise. 

I hope I've explained this well enough, sometimes it's difficult to word specifically the changed, improved driving experience. 

My car feels more like my old Subaru's now and I'm fine with the little harder day to day ride as that's what I wanted in the first place. 🙂

I think you explained the driving dynamics very well, Greg. There is definitely something amiss with the way the chassis rolls when cornering the stock car. I went for the Vogtland springs simply because I'm an impatient bastard and wanted to buy something, and because I read one Golf R owner's review of them, which stated that he felt an anti-roll bar was no longer necessary after installation. Do you want a write up of the change in handling after I get them installed? 

How much did a roll bar affect driving comfort? I give lifts to elderly family members who might be put out if things firm up too much. 

On 15/03/2019 at 11:59, RockR said:

I think you explained the driving dynamics very well, Greg. There is definitely something amiss with the way the chassis rolls when cornering the stock car. I went for the Vogtland springs simply because I'm an impatient bastard and wanted to buy something, and because I read one Golf R owner's review of them, which stated that he felt an anti-roll bar was no longer necessary after installation. Do you want a write up of the change in handling after I get them installed? 

How much did a roll bar affect driving comfort? I give lifts to elderly family members who might be put out if things firm up too much. 

Hi RockR,

Having the rear anti roll bar fitted and within minutes of driving away from the garage, I felt a clear 'yes, this is how the back should feel'. It's a feeling which strongly invites you to look for corners and bends and push the car through them. The rear feels tighter, more closer knit, as if some things were a little loose, then the fitment of the anti roll bar tightened everything up. The overall drive feels more connected - I found the stock car felt somewhat fragile at times (my own subjective perceptions). 

Regarding carrying elderly people in the car, it's definitely firmer ride-wise, which is really only felt over bumps and small potholes. Otherwise driveability on the average road with tarmac ranging from smooth to a little uneven is always good. The ride is absolutely nothing comparable to a Ford Focus RS or Mitsubishi Evo 7 & 8!

I hope this helps,

Greg 🙂

On 17/03/2019 at 19:30, GregR-125 said:

Hi RockR,

Having the rear anti roll bar fitted and within minutes of driving away from the garage, I felt a clear 'yes, this is how the back should feel'. It's a feeling which strongly invites you to look for corners and bends and push the car through them. The rear feels tighter, more closer knit, as if some things were a little loose, then the fitment of the anti roll bar tightened everything up. The overall drive feels more connected - I found the stock car felt somewhat fragile at times (my own subjective perceptions). 

Regarding carrying elderly people in the car, it's definitely firmer ride-wise, which is really only felt over bumps and small potholes. Otherwise driveability on the average road with tarmac ranging from smooth to a little uneven is always good. The ride is absolutely nothing comparable to a Ford Focus RS or Mitsubishi Evo 7 & 8!

I hope this helps,

Greg 🙂

Cheers, Greg, that does help. I'll have the springs fitted then make the judgement re. the roll bar. 

Thanks very much for the info.

On 14/03/2019 at 17:25, GregR-125 said:

What anti-roll bar did you fit out of curiosity? Im guessing superpro due to it being 22mm.  Eibach and H&R are both 25mm

I agree with the advantages of fitting an aftermarket rear ARB.

I had a 24mm Super-pro rear bar fitted on the softest setting with the standard links and it’s perfect for My liking it really does make the rear axle come into play with the handling.

And in a very positive way in feel and grip with a little 2% negative on the comfort factor but it’s the fun you’re having that’ll soon make up for that 👍😆

If you want a 60% reduced comfort level then a Mk3 focus RS is 4U 😬🤨 

eibach pro springs are also an excellent partnership with a rear bar 👍

O I forgot there’s a set of pro springs for sale in the classifieds soon. 🤔😁

On 25/03/2019 at 16:49, Stretch_Blanco said:

What anti-roll bar did you fit out of curiosity? Im guessing superpro due to it being 22mm.  Eibach and H&R are both 25mm

Whiteline. I used to fit their parts to my previous Subaru's and always been happy with their products. I've got it on the softest outer settings. 

3 hours ago, Batch said:

Racingline springs, non-DCC and a recent upgrade to their matched dampers from stock too.

Firm but no crashiness at all since I switched the shocks, potholes are still a bastard on 19s though!

50ECE545-654B-4B93-97A4-85DCF4C276A1.thumb.jpeg.95df3fa7929fd519d46ac0c4c987f004.jpeg

3 hours ago, Batch said:

Racingline springs, non-DCC and a recent upgrade to their matched dampers from stock too.

Firm but no crashiness at all since I switched the shocks, potholes are still a bastard on 19s though!

50ECE545-654B-4B93-97A4-85DCF4C276A1.thumb.jpeg.95df3fa7929fd519d46ac0c4c987f004.jpeg

Ooh. Looks very smart.  Tell me to mind my own business... by all means, but would Black Roof Rails be a nice addition too??

sorry, had to say it.😀