• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm so tempted to make a new acount.... R401

You've driven one then (or any car with an engine)  Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

I personally think this is a fantastic facelift update which takes the Golf into even more premium territory.   We now have better lights and audi style rear lights which means premium to anyone tha

Would rather have the latest R and have my lease go up a bit. However I am tempted by the GTI offers going round at the moment for the current model. 1500 down and 166 a month or a mate took a 2400 dep and less than 100 a month

If the R is to get a facelift then I'd expect the rest of the MK7 models to get a facelift too so you'd be in the same position if you got either car. Have to say, that GTI deal is almost too good to miss. If I were looking to buy/lease now, I'd be getting the GTI and not the R purely because it is so cheap!

If the R is to get a facelift then I'd expect the rest of the MK7 models to get a facelift too so you'd be in the same position if you got either car. Have to say, that GTI deal is almost too good to miss. If I were looking to buy/lease now, I'd be getting the GTI and not the R purely because it is so cheap!

True and the rest of the mk7 will get the facelift. However as you said sod the facelift for the GTI at these prices its nuts

Would rather have the latest R and have my lease go up a bit. However I am tempted by the GTI offers going round at the moment for the current model. 1500 down and 166 a month or a mate took a 2400 dep and less than 100 a month

I've been provided with a GTI while my R is in transit and I can say it is a phenomenal car! I really love it and it's got me wondering if I should have gone for it in the first place, and maybe the R was over kill on my part :)

I've been provided with a GTI while my R is in transit and I can say it is a phenomenal car! I really love it and it's got me wondering if I should have gone for it in the first place, and maybe the R was over kill on my part :)

Just wait till you get it and the roads are wet then you will understand you've made the right choice.

Yep good point -  have noticed it does like remind you you're not Lewis Hamilton when in sport mode coming out of roundabouts! A bit twitchy haha

Two different animals.  As Stobsie says above, but 4WD advantages aside:

GTI - more 'fun' and 'frivolity'

R - more 'thrilling' and 'purposeful'

Both great cars in their own right, but R all the way for me. 

If the new facelift is being tested around a circuit then that would imply there must be mechanical changes. As why would you test for cosmetic reasons? So one must assume the Golf R will receive the 310bhp and 7 speed DSG upgrade as per Audi S3 / TTS.

Would definitely be holding out for the facelift now seeing as the S3 and A45 AMG both had mechanical upgrades in facelift form so VW will not want to be left behind in regards to the Golf R.

If the new facelift is being tested around a circuit then that would imply there must be mechanical changes. As why would you test for cosmetic reasons? So one must assume the Golf R will receive the 310bhp and 7 speed DSG upgrade as per Audi S3 / TTS.

Would definitely be holding out for the facelift now seeing as the S3 and A45 AMG both had mechanical upgrades in facelift form so VW will not want to be left behind in regards to the Golf R.

Aerodynamics?

GTI is rubbish.

Slow, and wiggly in the wet.

See when you make statements like these it confirms to me you know bugger all.

GTI is rubbish - well the brands been going 40 odd years so clearly not.

Slow - 220ps in a small (ish) hatch doesn't exactly hang around go drive one or ask to go with your mum on a test drive.

Wiggly in the wet - is something I would associate with a RWD car not FWD.

As always keep them coming. :wink: