Guy Incognito

The Quick Question Topic - Part 2

On 19/03/2021 at 16:31, Wagon R said:

Thanks @gregozedobe That’s good to know - I wasn’t aware there were 2 different kinds ...and yes, mine is DSG. 👍

If you just want a full-length cover, you can get this from a VW dealer:
Engine undertray 5Q0825236N £60.47
You also need

Fixing bolts: 3x WHT000729A

I had mine fitted during service; they only charged for the tray; bolts and fitting were gratis.

If you want the full monty, then this is the one:

On 12/03/2021 at 16:36, GaryP said:

What is the recommended approach when buying a private sale used car that still has finance on it?  Seems a reasonable and common thing to happen, but assume care has to be taken to ensure a safe transaction.

Thanks.

I would steer clear of buying a used car with any finance outstanding. The finance company still has ownership of the vehicle until the debt is fully paid off. I'm guessing you could inherit the outstanding debt if you did purchase it.

I suspect some 'owners' selling their cars with financed attached are unaware of the implications. A great question and one everyone should be asking before purchasing any used vehicle.

13 hours ago, Chris7.5R said:

If you just want a full-length cover, you can get this from a VW dealer:
Engine undertray 5Q0825236N £60.47
You also need

Fixing bolts: 3x WHT000729A

I had mine fitted during service; they only charged for the tray; bolts and fitting were gratis.

If you want the full monty, then this is the one:

Thanks for the numbers and links @Chris7.5R. Might get my Indy to fit this as it’s due a DSG and oil service next month. 👍

1 hour ago, Wagon R said:

Thanks for the numbers and links @Chris7.5R. Might get my Indy to fit this as it’s due a DSG and oil service next month. 👍

My car is also a 7.5R and I assume that the estate is just about identical to the hatch forward of the A pillar, but a good idea to check this before getting the tray.

I can't really answer your original questions. Certainly I've not noticed any higher running temperature, although it's had little use since last October, and I don't do track days or drive in Arizona (!). Similarly we've had very little bad weather but it's unlikely to make things worse. The only disadvantage I can see is that draining the engine oil (or doing other stuff underneath) is more of a hassle unless you have a lift. If I decide to do my own oil changes in the future I'll probably pump it out.

44 minutes ago, Chris7.5R said:

My car is also a 7.5R and I assume that the estate is just about identical to the hatch forward of the A pillar, but a good idea to check this before getting the tray.

I can't really answer your original questions. Certainly I've not noticed any higher running temperature, although it's had little use since last October, and I don't do track days or drive in Arizona (!). Similarly we've had very little bad weather but it's unlikely to make things worse. The only disadvantage I can see is that draining the engine oil (or doing other stuff underneath) is more of a hassle unless you have a lift. If I decide to do my own oil changes in the future I'll probably pump it out.

The only difference between the estate and the hatch as far as I’m aware is the heavier springs and rear of the C pillar. I’ll be sure to check Fitment first. 

BTW: My sister has an A3 8P with a full undertray, and the oil change I did for her wasn’t so bad. 

Thanks again. 👍

Quick Qs on spacers and buying new tyres. Previous owner of my 2019 7.5R had 25mm H&R spacers installed. I'm aware that this could cause unnecessary damage to the wheel bearings if abused too much. As of now the ride quality has been fine, albeit a little jumpy on bumps because of the lower roll centre.

For context, the car only has 22,000 km and the front treads are already gone (sneaky owner lied about 'not tracking it'🙃).

On to my Qs:

1. Would you guys advise PS4 VS. PS4S for long term use?

2. If I install the tyres and keep the wheel spacers, what should I keep in mind for the wheel's alignment? I'd rather not damage the tires with too much scrub.

6 hours ago, PortB said:

Quick Qs on spacers and buying new tyres. Previous owner of my 2019 7.5R had 25mm H&R spacers installed. I'm aware that this could cause unnecessary damage to the wheel bearings if abused too much. As of now the ride quality has been fine, albeit a little jumpy on bumps because of the lower roll centre.

For context, the car only has 22,000 km and the front treads are already gone (sneaky owner lied about 'not tracking it'🙃).

On to my Qs:

1. Would you guys advise PS4 VS. PS4S for long term use?

2. If I install the tyres and keep the wheel spacers, what should I keep in mind for the wheel's alignment? I'd rather not damage the tires with too much scrub.

Definitely PS4S for the tyres. 
As for the spacers personally I’d remove them unless you like the look and any compromise. 

apologies if this has been asked before, but i saw on a youtube video that the cars have a finite number of launches that can be performed? Limited to 200 for the life of the car? Is this correct. And can this be re-set or over ridden?

Not that i expect a car to see 200 launches..... 😑

10 minutes ago, v7fmp said:

apologies if this has been asked before, but i saw on a youtube video that the cars have a finite number of launches that can be performed? Limited to 200 for the life of the car? Is this correct. And can this be re-set or over ridden?

Not that i expect a car to see 200 launches..... 😑

Have a look in this thread and particularly in the link a few posts down. Basically someone asked the question of VW and were told there was no limit.  

36 minutes ago, Booth11 said:

Have a look in this thread and particularly in the link a few posts down. Basically someone asked the question of VW and were told there was no limit.  

cool, interesting read and good to de-bunk hearsay!

Hey folks. Quick question - 2018 Mk7.5 R DSG. I've owned it for about 3 weeks. I can feel a light knocking or clunking through the pedals and floor. Generally notice it around 50/70kmh. Can't pinpoint whether it's wheels, shocks, mounts. Any ideas where to start to investigate or should I just go back to the dealer?

20 hours ago, ilikecars said:

Hey folks. Quick question - 2018 Mk7.5 R DSG. I've owned it for about 3 weeks. I can feel a light knocking or clunking through the pedals and floor. Generally notice it around 50/70kmh. Can't pinpoint whether it's wheels, shocks, mounts. Any ideas where to start to investigate or should I just go back to the dealer?

Try swapping wheels front to back (and back to front) to see if it moves to the rear.  If it doesn't it might be a warped disk (or pad deposits on a disk).

Edit:  If it mainly happens at a certain road speed then that indicates it is something that rotates as you move.