Why did the dealer paint one of my wheel bolts white?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wheel bolt covers changed and all sorted. I'm still waiting on revive regarding when they are going to sort out the paint but it's Christmas so I'm not expecting it this week.   I saw a club sport

You don't know how to change a wheel then? Shameful mate lol

I can tell you EXACTLY what that mark is on the bolt cover.    It's not paint - but a reaction caused by a (probably very acidic) wheel cleaner.  How do I know this?  Well 3 or 4 years ago I had the

To be fair it was dark and I spent an hour arguing with the dealer about why they did nothing all day and I essentially wasted my time today with them. I wasn't thinking I'd need to check the wheels.

I had a scratch at them with my keys. I'll see if I can clean them up tomorrow. I honestly think I'll shout at someone if I go back to that dealer. However if I can't clean them up I will return.

As for revive it doesn't bother me as much. I will be in touch tomorrow but it's not that obvious to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're local to Coulsdon, you're local to me. If you have time, pop round and I'll see if there's any chemicals I've got here that will clean them up. 

I still think you should be asking for new caps and answers though the offer is there.   :)

I spent an hour arguing with that dealer already. I'd prefer just to call VW customer services. I'll visit the dealer I bought the car from and see if they can sort it out.

Who do you complain to in a dealership anyway? They always pass the buck.

As for revive I'll be on them tomorrow. I'm not in the area tomorrow but when I'm back Ashley I may take you up on the offer thanks.

Did they wash the car? I've seen those bolt covers go white on cars put through car washes - chemical wheel cleaner crap...

Those covers cost about 50p each by the way...

putting my science hat on (I have one, I am allowed!) I think you're right. If you can scratch at it and it goes back to black it would suggest an etch effect. Quite common with cheap alloy "cleaners" as we know they contain high concentrations of (usually, but not limited to) sulphuric acid. Kids know that stuff is bad news!

If it is etched, you might as well bin it. It'll never be right again.

I would be far more bothered about the paint on your front wing :blink: I would want that sorted immediately!!

BTW - I am NOT blaming you for their balls up - but, if at all possible, I would not have taken the car to the dealers like that. Even subconsciously, someone working on your car will see that & could think "the owner isn't bothered".

When I was looking for a car as its local, I called Coulson VW on more than one occasion and they never got back to me. I eventually did take a car form there out for a test drive and the experience wasn't great either. 

Your experience just endorses my thoughts and I don't think I'll be back.

Good luck with everything and keep us posted.

Us 'local' R owners need to stick together.  :cheesy:

I can tell you EXACTLY what that mark is on the bolt cover. 

It's not paint - but a reaction caused by a (probably very acidic) wheel cleaner.  How do I know this?  Well 3 or 4 years ago I had the pleasure of a MK5 2:0TDi GT.  A good car for the miles I was doing.  Anyway - it wasn't special enough (to me) to truly love so I used to take it to the hand car wash once a week for the standard paint sand / clean.  

I went to one I hadn't been to before one week and got home to find pretty much all my wheel bolt covers that colour - I went back to the cleaner who said that it was a strong wheel cleaner to get the brake dust crap off etc - he wasn't interested in the discoloration it had caused to plastic.

Needless to say it will not come off as it is damage to the cover (I tried).  However - you can buy a bag of these bolt covers on ebay for a few quid (genuine OEM) so I just changed all mine.

My guess?  The dealer valet boys got a bit over zealous with the concentration of the wheel cleaner.

Needless to say - that was one of my last 'hand car sand' experiences!

I can tell you EXACTLY what that mark is on the bolt cover. 

It's not paint - but a reaction caused by a (probably very acidic) wheel cleaner.  How do I know this?  Well 3 or 4 years ago I had the pleasure of a MK5 2:0TDi GT.  A good car for the miles I was doing.  Anyway - it wasn't special enough (to me) to truly love so I used to take it to the hand car wash once a week for the standard paint sand / clean.  

I went to one I hadn't been to before one week and got home to find pretty much all my wheel bolt covers that colour - I went back to the cleaner who said that it was a strong wheel cleaner to get the brake dust crap off etc - he wasn't interested in the discoloration it had caused to plastic.

Needless to say it will not come off as it is damage to the cover (I tried).  However - you can buy a bag of these bolt covers on ebay for a few quid (genuine OEM) so I just changed all mine.

My guess?  The dealer valet boys got a bit over zealous with the concentration of the wheel cleaner.

Needless to say - that was one of my last 'hand car sand' experiences!

further to this, my guess is that the 1 cover on each wheel that went white was the locking wheel bolt cover, because its different to the standard covers, its probably made by a different supplier and from slightly different material. and thats why its reacted differently to the other 4. 

I emailed the dealer with that photo and I will wait to see what they have to say.

If indeed it is a chemical reaction then I agree that trying to remove the white area will damage the cover and it needs to be replaced.

(Also emailed revive; I hope both of them will email me back to apologise and agree to fix the issues without me having to phone and chase them.)

further to this, my guess is that the 1 cover on each wheel that went white was the locking wheel bolt cover, because its different to the standard covers, its probably made by a different supplier and from slightly different material. and thats why its reacted differently to the other 4. 

Exactly this. I've just replaced the 4 locking bolt covers on my GTD, same has happened to 2 other mk7 Golfs in our company.

Edited by GTD1414

That looks definitely like harsh wheel cleaner pitting reaction to the bolt caps!

Seriously I'd be at dealers right now with my tool out the boot and taking a set of caps off any suitable car they have on the forecourt!

Agree with some of the comments above, no chance I'd accept that

Im a really placid chilled guy in general but when it comes to my R and work being done etc I become possessed lol

Greedy dealers don't get away with anything when I'm there!