OBD Eleven - The Basics

Lawrie

OBD Eleven - The Basics - Golf R

Having used my OBD Eleven to make a few tweaks to my car I have to admit getting started wasn't a piece of cake. There are lots of helpful adaptations littered across the web but no basic guide to OBD Eleven itself and the steps to take if you have never used the device before. Here is my attempt to put that right....

First a few things you should know about OBD Eleven.

1) You can download the app for free but you HAVE to buy the OBD port dongle to which it connects (via bluetooth). I bought mine direct from https://obdeleven.com/

2) You need an android device running 4.1 (Jelly Bean) or later. It must have bluetooth and it will only work with OBD Eleven when a strong internet connection is available (WIFI or 3/4G). I am an iOS household so I bought a cheap Android Tablet specifically for this purpose. (There are no plans to roll this out on iOS because Apple devices don't support the bluetooth traffic it requires to work.)

3) You can buy basic or pro versions of OBD Eleven. I bought pro and it is what I would recommend. The dongles are the same but buying pro provides an activation key which allows you to make free 'VCDS style' modifications to your car. If you don't buy pro you will only be able to make changes by the pre-configured 'apps'. These apps automatically make changes to your car at the press of a button but they cost credits. You can buy credits from OBD Eleven direct or, I think, watch adverts to earn them. When you use the apps you don't know exactly what settings changes have been made to your car and you are dependent on using the same app to revert to stock. By using the coding options in the Pro version you know every modification you make. It also keep a log so you can unpick anything you may have done.

When you get your OBD Eleven....

It will arrive in a very small package and you may be forgiven for expecting a little more. However the package contains an OBD dongle and, if you bought pro, an activation code. This is all you need.

You need to download the app on your android device. Confusingly it isn't called OBD Eleven. It is called Car Diagnostics Pro VAG OBD2 (go figure). You can find it in the play store by searching for OBD Eleven though.

38317420dcbf27a67924eab357f7d8f9.png

Once downloaded and installed create an account and confirm your email. Then sign in.

Initially you will only see the standard app features. If you bought pro you need to activate this on your account. To do this go to the menus in the top left corner of the app, select settings, and in the Theme menu at the top toggle the pro switch to the right. Once you have done that you will be prompted to input the pro activation code which came with the dongle.

You are now just about ready to connect to your car....

You will find your OBD port underneath the steering wheel. Specifically beneath the coin holder cubby on the right-hand side. Switch the car ignition on (no need to start the engine) and plug the dongle in.

Next pair the dongle with your android device. This isn't essential but it makes connection much faster each time you come to use OBD Eleven. Search for bluetooth devices in your android settings app and pair using bluetooth code 1234.

You can now connect the app to the car.....

Press connect - even once paired this can take a while.

Once connected you will be presented with a scan screen (see a couple of images below) And if you click on My Car you get the following screen:

bc29198357e013a4be4bb25d765c1b50.png

From these areas you can view details of your car, view and clear fault codes and if the engine is running view live data from many different sensors etc.

The purpose of this thread is to advise how to do some of the most popular Golf R modifications so, without further ado....

Whichever version you have you will see an apps section from the My Car screen. I have around four pages of apps and if you wish you can use these to make modifications at the cost of credits. As I said above if you haven't bought or activated pro this is the only modification option you have. Screenshots of some of the apps available to me below (can't post them all as I have reached the maximum image limit for one post):

ba091516a1901fbc14ba88a120b589c9.png200ab741507fa6b7c771dbc988d23365.png

If you do have pro though you get a new 'coding' icon on the home screen, to the bottom right of the big scan button:

34ea66f9a2e9948fcc30502f76cdfc2d.jpg

Pressing this button gets you access to the world of control units and their underlying settings. This is where you are able to make VCDS style tweaks. Here are the new menus you see:

e2ef7eb2ee5c9f486ef3a71a2e78131d.png0d1b1892df621b84f129335a25764483.pngd780e9c43c597002bd06c7a0ff496d22.png

Below are the first tweaks I made and how I did them.

Soundaktor

For those of us without the MIB option to adjust the soundaktor level this is a really useful modification. I turned mine completely off but you can adjust the intensity:

There is a handy OBD Eleven video for this - so here you are

Exhaust Flaps

To keep the exhaust flaps permanently open (Golf R hatch only) and have all four working regardless of mode (or engine restart) you must disable the functionality. To do this there is an important start up procedure - otherwise you will code them permanently closed. To prepare I...

1) started the engine and selected race mode (if gearbox is DSG - select 'sport')
2) turned off the engine
3) turned the ignition back on (didn't start the engine)
4) performed the mod below.

After pressing the coding button (bottom right of the scan button in the image above) you need to select:

Engine Control Module > Coding > (make sure the 'long coding' toggle-switch top right is switched on) then select: Byte 9 (from the options at the top where you can type in byte numbers) > Untick bit 2.

Then click the tick to save changes.

Test this by starting the engine and putting your hands over the outer two exhausts. If there is an obvious stream of air pushing against your hands then you have been successful. To be doubly sure you could switch engine modes and re-check but the Golf always starts up with two exhausts closed regardless of the last mode it was left in.

Pace Car Turn Signals

Not to everyone's taste but they certainly stand out and I do like them. To do this I made the following changes after entering the coding menus.

1) Select 09 - Central Electrics
2) Select Security Access
3) Enter the security code 31347 and return to the previous screen
4) Select Adaptation
5) Type Leuchte16BLK into the search box for the left hand side settings and make the following changes:

94b8b581776f1f0a13487a90d4d823bc.png

6) Type Leuchte17TFL into the search box for the right hand side settings and make these changes:

7668234d1d3cb5bc9a9b2fe502239572.png

Press the green tick and you're done - the coding should be accepted.

Other Tweaks

The three mods above actually cover all the basics of coding via OBD Eleven - you should now be able to follow any of the more cryptic posts which people post on the various forums you will find on the internet. The majority of these use the central electrics modification methodology as demonstrated for the pace car lights above and as far as I can tell the security code remains the same..

Here is a good source of the other modifications which are possible. Many are not relevant to the Golf R because features are already activated or they concern front fogs which the R does not have. Those that are relevant are very easy to implement.

http://obdeleven.proboards.com/thread/167/coding-adaptations

I hope this is useful. So far the other mods I have completed are:

Full brake lights
Fan speed LEDs in auto mode
Disable 'ignition on' warning when driver's door open
Alarm chirp on lock/unlock
Dimming DRLs when associated indicator is on
Automatic coming home headlights

One final note.... the app has an ear piercing alarm which reminds you not to leave the OBD Eleven in your car.  Ignore it or disable it at your peril - if you leave it in overnight you'll have a flat battery by the morning :wink: .

Lawrie,can you post the coding for the full brake lights please and also the alarm chirp on unlock (got a feeling the latter is not compatible with the new cars.(tried several times with this code.

Alarm beep on lock / unlock (from VW GTI mk7 forum)
Go into [09] Central Electronics
Go into Security Access and enter 31347
Adaptation channels, and you are looking for:
(1)-Acknowledgement Signals -Akustische Rueckmeldung entriegen (un-lock acoustic feedback)
(2)-Acknowledgement Signals -Akustische Rueckmeldung verriegeln (lock acoustic feedback)
Set one or both to on if you wish.
Then set the following to "on"

(7)-Acknowledgement Signals -Menuesteuerung akustische Rueckmeldung (Acoustic lock menu)
This enables a menu setting in the "car" settings, "Locking" menu of the infotainment screen to set alarm chirp on or off when locking /unlocking the car and have the option to switch it on or off from the head unit.

Lawrie,can you post the coding for the full brake lights please and also the alarm chirp on unlock (got a feeling the latter is not compatible with the new cars.(tried several times with this code.

Alarm beep on lock / unlock (from VW GTI mk7 forum)

Go into [09] Central Electronics

Go into Security Access and enter 31347

Adaptation channels, and you are looking for:

(1)-Acknowledgement Signals -Akustische Rueckmeldung entriegen (un-lock acoustic feedback)

(2)-Acknowledgement Signals -Akustische Rueckmeldung verriegeln (lock acoustic feedback)

Set one or both to on if you wish.

Then set the following to "on"

(7)-Acknowledgement Signals -Menuesteuerung akustische Rueckmeldung (Acoustic lock menu)

This enables a menu setting in the "car" settings, "Locking" menu of the infotainment screen to set alarm chirp on or off when locking /unlocking the car and have the option to switch it on or off from the head unit.

That is the correct code for the alarm chirp. You will now have an option to turn it on/off in the menus. Did you make sure it is turned on?

For 5x brake lights it is:

Module 09 (Central Electrics)

Security Access 16

Code = 31347

Adaptation 10

Channel (8)-Leuchte27 NSL RC6

Lichtfunktion C27

Set to brake light = Bremslicht (default is not active)

Channel (10)-Leuchte27 NSL RC6

Dimming CD27

Set to 100 (default is 0)

That is the correct code for the alarm chirp. You will now have an option to turn it on/off in the menus. Did you make sure it is turned on?

For 5x brake lights it is:

Module 09 (Central Electrics)

Security Access 16

Code = 31347

Adaptation 10

Channel (8)-Leuchte27 NSL RC6

Lichtfunktion C27

Set to brake light = Bremslicht (default is not active)

Channel (10)-Leuchte27 NSL RC6

Dimming CD27

Set to 100 (default is 0)

Hi lawrie with that code done i cannot see anything in the car menus.looked in i believe it was something like closure or locking but could nothing to tick concerning chirp on lock or anything like it.maybe im in the wrong menus.

Hi lawrie with that code done i cannot see anything in the car menus.looked in i believe it was something like closure or locking but could nothing to tick concerning chirp on lock or anything like it.maybe im in the wrong menus.

It's in the opening & closing menu:

0d02fbf104ad2b186a6153cd3f1c7c75.jpg