Scotty2hotty

Loba lo4xx turbo any good?

Hi paradox

Thanks yes I'm very happy with mine for now lol😂

Good luck on you fitting yourself braver than me mate

Just make sure you take it to a reputable garage who know their stuff It's not worth cutting corners on a job like that that's my personal opinion 

keep us updated mate👍

On 10/20/2017 at 17:30, Huwgo R said:

Hi paradox

Thanks yes I'm very happy with mine for now lol1f602.png

Good luck on you fitting yourself braver than me mate

Just make sure you take it to a reputable garage who know their stuff It's not worth cutting corners on a job like that that's my personal opinion 

keep us updated mate1f44d.png

Cheers mate, 

If i do end up fitting it ill just take my time and do it properly.

Planning to get the car mapped at Rtech or TSR performance. but may leave the mapping until after the new year.

So I took the car out with the meth over the weekend......bloody help. its pulls noticeably harder, Intake temps were ambient lol :D

Hi 

I'm 50/50 on wether to install w/meth on mine I've never used it before and unsure on what long term effect it has on a engine?

maybe I have to look into it with more research.....?

Hi Hugo,

I bought my meth kit a few years ago and used it on my 1.8t so didn't really have to spend anything with this car. I think now they have shot up in price as water meth has grown in popularity.

Best way to get an understanding is to watch this short video - 

The water bascially cools the engine intake temps so its like the first drive after fitting a bigger intercooler or driving first think on a cold morning.

The meth raises the octane, difference between using regular unleaded and super unleaded. I think i read somewhere that meth is compared to 114 ron but I cant confirm how true that is.

On 24/02/2017 at 22:14, Scotty2hotty said:

I'd like to achieve 420-440 without having to change internals.

Would this be possible with the loba LO4xx?

I've got the L04xx on my 6r and made 450 on stock internals so it is possible with other supporting mods

On 14/11/2020 at 20:17, Ryan6r said:

I've got the L04xx on my 6r and made 450 on stock internals so it is possible with other supporting mods

Hi Ryan. Bit of an old thread you’ve replied to, but I’m glad you did because us LO4xx owners seem few and far between 🙂

I’ve got the same turbo on my mk6 R, and the car has gone into Statller today for a new map. They did the build themselves 6 years ago, with a GIAC map and Turbosmart electronic boost controller (which was probably a good option at the time, but software and TFSI tuning in general has moved on a bit now we’re in 2020). 

I purchased the car in September knowing it was capable of good power and had been built by Statller who I’ve used for years and trust to do a good job. I had a couple of little issues to iron out initially but it’s fundamentally running ok now, so my attention has turned to the turbo and mapping. 

We’re going back to the N75 for boost control, as it’s not a great throttle on the boost controller. I believe Steve at Statller will be using Ecotune software. I’ve got the fuelling and supporting hardware in place to support good numbers, theoretically. I’m not sure exactly how much power it’s making now, or how much it’ll make on the new map, but I’ll find out soon! 

Can you tell me more about your setup? What you’ve got in place for fuelling, other hardware, and who has done the ECU map? 

Cheers 👍🏻

I didn’t rate the L04XX I found it way to laggy and by the time it was on full boost it was sat on the limiter 😫  I thought the car was much better at stage 2+ it felt quicker and was much more drivable. 
As a result I fell out with the car and sold it within a couple of months, shame really because I loved it. 

1 hour ago, Scotty2hotty said:

I didn’t rate the L04XX I found it way to laggy and by the time it was on full boost it was sat on the limiter 😫  I thought the car was much better at stage 2+ it felt quicker and was much more drivable. 
As a result I fell out with the car and sold it within a couple of months, shame really because I loved it. 

Hmm. Mine doesn’t feel laggy, and it’s got a pretty wide spread of torque. Maybe my boost controller is helping it in that sense. Whether it’s making 4xx BHP on its current setup... well the arse dyno says no. But it ain’t slow. 

What I don’t like is the erratic boost control on part throttle. That’s definitely down to the boost controller, or rather the lack of N75 in the equation. As I mentioned earlier, the car is in as we speak getting it mapped with new software and with the N75 back in the loop. I’m wondering whether I’m now going to end up sacrificing boost and performance for the sake of part throttle drivability after what you’ve said 🤔

I do have the option of a different turbo if this Loba turns out to be a pig. It’s proving difficult to find decent info on it. What I have found, from various forums over the last few years, is a real mixed bag of results and opinion! Everything from the Statller ed30 making huge power, to forum posts slating the concept/design of the turbo, and plenty in between. The few graphs I’ve seen look pretty good, although a good looking torque curve doesn’t always translate to a great driving car. 

Scotty, was your old car a grey manual 5 door by any chance???

I honestly thought the car was much better at stage 2+, it felt quick and was great to drive and it made 375bhp and around 380-400ftlb (can’t remember exactly. 

At stage 3 it mate 414/376 (🤔 less torque and it was felt) 

hardware from what I remember :-

LO4XX 

Full milltek turbo back (decat)

LOBA HPFP
RS4 fuel reg/valve ( think that’s right ha)

RS3 In tank pump 

RS3 injectors ( advised to get lthese over RS4 as the spray pattern is better 🤔 think it’s bull s#*t tbf as another tuner told me some horror stories) 

Airtec intercooler 

Ram air induction kit with the wider pipe work

there may be more but it’s been a few years. 

908456AC-34CB-4FF3-95B3-BF186B2AABE0.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Scotty2hotty said:

I honestly thought the car was much better at stage 2+, it felt quick and was great to drive and it made 375bhp and around 380-400ftlb (can’t remember exactly. 

At stage 3 it mate 414/376 (🤔 less torque and it was felt) 

hardware from what I remember :-

LO4XX 

Full milltek turbo back (decat)

LOBA HPFP
RS4 fuel reg/valve ( think that’s right ha)

RS3 In tank pump 

RS3 injectors ( advised to get lthese over RS4 as the spray pattern is better 🤔 think it’s bull s#*t tbf as another tuner told me some horror stories) 

Airtec intercooler 

Ram air induction kit with the wider pipe work

there may be more but it’s been a few years. 

908456AC-34CB-4FF3-95B3-BF186B2AABE0.jpeg

Yep, a decent setup then. 

Steve at Statller mentioned a few weeks ago that the 4xx “needs a lot of boost to wake up” or words to that effect. 

I’m guessing Rick wanted to be careful with the torque, like you said earlier in the thread a while ago - it’ll make almost 2 bar but whether that’s safe/efficient is another matter. 

I just hope I’m happy with the result come the end of the week. 

And I’m interested to learn about this 450bhp setup of Ryan’s...

Little update for anyone interested in the Loba LO4xx and what it’s capable of. Mapping done by Steve at Statller Power Developments using custom Ecotune software. This was one of the best runs, 460bhp peak, on pump. No meth or tricks to make the power, just a good hardware setup and good tune. They dialled it back to keep some headroom and make sure it’s running well within safe limits. 

This turbo makes useful boost at high RPM. I believe it peaks at 2 bar. They avoided mapping any big spike of torque (which should be a bit kinder on my standard internals). Torque is ‘only’ peaking at 400lb/ft, but as you can see from the graph it’s not exactly dropping off a cliff as the engine speed increases like you might see on some other small frame turbos. A plateau is better than a spike. The existing DSG map isn’t preventing clutch slip unfortunately, so that will also be remapped soon. 

It’s a smooth and progressive map. The power is linear - the more the revs rise the more you’re pushed into the seat. A huge transformation from the previous GIAC map and EBC setup. And I now have OEM throttle control with the N75 back in the loop, which is nice. It’s really good to drive.  

Great work from Steve at Statller, Stan at Ecotune, and of course Darius Loba 😉

CACFF5B8-25EF-4E49-91F2-B04F562568BB.jpeg.24292db192aa2d52bbe422b3df7e1340.jpeg