Type R - RS - R

Last year I had the new Civic Type R but after 10 months of ownership I decided to get a Golf R. I ordered September but cancelled for personal reasons, however circumstances changed and I got lured by the promise of big power to get a Focus RS.

2 months of RS ownership and I just wasn't getting on with it. 

Horrible ride (a persistent vertical "jiggle"), wayward steering and just not that fast. I have managed to sell it for almost what I paid for it.

I found out that the Golf I ordered last year was at the dealer (delivered late Jan), unregistered and available to buy, £3k less than I would have paid last year.

So I have it now and wow, awesome.

So here's my thoughts on a comparison between the Type R, RS and R.

The Golf is far superior to both the Type R and RS. It just feels like a more accomplished and well sorted car. Honestly, the RS was a big disappointment.

I actually preferred the Honda TBH.

The Honda's front end was very grippy, great steering and gearbox, the ride was ok too but it had a very laggy throttle and ultimately not very easy to drive smoothly. Not good on long journeys either.

Also I seem to be the only person giving the RS a bad review. The suspension setup reminded me of some bad eBay coilovers I had on a 2002 Type R once, just bouncing down the road. Although it soaked up pot holes well.

So extremely happy now I have the Golf, its just so sorted and loving DSG. I also have DCC, pan roof and prets.

Chuffed.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/152467027@N06/shares/6M5q13

https://www.flickr.com/photos/152467027@N06/shares/5p96jN

Last year I had the new Civic Type R but after 10 months of ownership I decided to get a Golf R. I ordered September but cancelled for personal reasons, however circumstances changed and I got lured by the promise of big power to get a Focus RS.

2 months of RS ownership and I just wasn't getting on with it.

Horrible ride (a persistent vertical "jiggle"), wayward steering and just not that fast. I have managed to sell it for almost what I paid for it.

I found out that the Golf I ordered last year was at the dealer (delivered late Jan), unregistered and available to buy, £3k less than I would have paid last year.

So I have it now and wow, awesome.

So here's my thoughts on a comparison between the Type R, RS and R.

The Golf is far superior to both the Type R and RS. It just feels like a more accomplished and well sorted car. Honestly, the RS was a big disappointment.

I actually preferred the Honda TBH.

The Honda's front end was very grippy, great steering and gearbox, the ride was ok too but it had a very laggy throttle and ultimately not very easy to drive smoothly. Not good on long journeys either.

Also I seem to be the only person giving the RS a bad review. The suspension setup reminded me of some bad eBay coilovers I had on a 2002 Type R once, just bouncing down the road. Although it soaked up pot holes well.

So extremely happy now I have the Golf, its just so sorted and loving DSG. I also have DCC, pan roof and prets.

Chuffed.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/152467027@N06/shares/6M5q13

https://www.flickr.com/photos/152467027@N06/shares/5p96jN

Welcome to the group mate! Glad you're enjoying your Golf. I had a Cupra 280 and wanted more poke so I started looking at buying an RS - I was REALLY close to ordering but cried off as I wasn't able to drive one due to it not having come out at the time and didn't want to risk spending all that money and not liking it. Your post has completely backed up what I thought. I found my way into the Golf by accident - after coming out of the Ford dealership, I went straight across to the VW dealer (most of the major manufacturers have their dealerships on the motor park in Kidlington, Oxford.) Test drove an R and loved it! Used a Carwow quote to force a good deal (£5000 off a new R with extras!) and put in an order and deposit there and then! The RS and possibly the Civic appear to be singular in their design but what I love about the Golf is its Swiss Army knife persona - fast enough, if not the fastest, when you want or by changing the drive profiles, a quiet motorway cruiser when you want especially with the DCC. Glad you're enjoying yours as much as I'm enjoying mine!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Welcome to the group mate! Glad you're enjoying your Golf. I had a Cupra 280 and wanted more poke so I started looking at buying an RS - I was REALLY close to ordering but cried off as I wasn't able to drive one due to it not having come out at the time and didn't want to risk spending all that money and not liking it. Your post has completely backed up what I thought. I found my way into the Golf by accident - after coming out of the Ford dealership, I went straight across to the VW dealer (most of the major manufacturers have their dealerships on the motor park in Kidlington, Oxford.) Test drove an R and loved it! Used a Carwow quote to force a good deal (£5000 off a new R with extras!) and put in an order and deposit there and then! The RS and possibly the Civic appear to be singular in their design but what I love about the Golf is its Swiss Army knife persona - fast enough, if not the fastest, when you want or by changing the drive profiles, a quiet motorway cruiser when you want especially with the DCC. Glad you're enjoying yours as much as I'm enjoying mine!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I got my RS from stock, someone's cancelled order. Also there are no discounts so you pay the full Ford price. Still a 9 month wait for one too.

I thought I'd love it, made a great noise but just hard to live with. 

That's a few interesting cars you've owned over the past couple of years. The Mk3 RS has somehow lost the wow factor that the Mk2 seemed to have, although it looks like a good drive. The Civic is of a very particular taste, for me it's way too in your face.

If I'd bought a new Mk2 RS instead of the ST I would have saved myself a lot of money modifying and I probably wouldn't be here now(unless the RS got stolen that is). Ah well live and learn! Enjoy the R, I'm still amazed by what it can do, and how stable it feels doing it, after 6 months!

I owned my MK3 RS for 10 minutes and drove it 30ft  :grin:

I ordered when it was £28,940 and expected it in April/May 2016.  By July it was still looking to be several months away and there was an amazing lease deal on the Golf R Estate that I jumped on.  I remember doing crazy amounts of soul searching and being really worried I'd always regret taking the Golf over the Ford or feel like I had "sold out".

The Golf arrived first and a few weeks later the RS whereupon it was quickly turned around for a nice wee profit.  I remember a few days after I got the Golf I had the opportunity to hammer the crap out a demo RS unaccompanied.  Stock for stock it was no faster than the R Estate and, if anything, I'd fancy the Golf might be a fraction quicker (DSG).

The RS wasn't a disappointment but it was rather transparent.  Within minutes I had figured the car out: everything about it from steering, the nervousness and the pops and bangs felt engineered in.  Nothing felt natural or organic.  It gave me the same feeling as when you watch a really funny video on the internet and then moments later realise it's been set up, faked or doctored.  The golf on the other hand is super sedate and 'boring' at anything less than 7/10ths.  However, when you push that little bit harder it comes alive and everything you feel is real.  Nobody wrote lines of code that make the attitude of the car change because you suddenly upped the ante; it comes alive because the chassis and suspension has been carefully designed to respond that way under certain loading.  It's for precisely these reasons that the Golf is often labelled as a bit boring and the RS as the most exciting thing to ever leave a factory floor.  The reality is that the RS is designed to make you feel excited at 5mph and few people actually push the R hard enough on the road to wake the chassis up.

I stumbled across an outstanding piece of road today with my son and an 8m twin wall flue system in the car.  I'm not afraid to push on a little even with the wee man in the car but even still it was never exciting and the car never felt agile or adjustable - I simply couldn't load it up enough with a child and cargo on-board.  Despite driving fairly "fast" and through some great bends it could easily be labelled a boring drive.  However, the next time I drive it (on my own, empty boot) the car will be responsive, alert, twitchy (without being overly threatening) and quite capable of sliding around and the only thing that will have changed is how hard I drive it.

So after 5k miles and having used the boot to its full extent on many occasions I can safely say I don't regret it for a second.  With a JB1 fitted this old load lugger would hump an RS and the only advantage the RS really has is it's GKN AWD system.  However, even in that area I'm not disappointing with the Golf.  It won't do skids in the dry but f**k me did I hang the arse right out in a massive, "I think I might actually run out of road here" drift the other day in damp conditions.  I actually laughed out loud.  :afro:

Two great cars but the Golf's blend of talents is too far reaching IMHO.  I'd probably not feel quite the same with a hatch but I see more MK3 RS' than I do R Estates and I like that.  My big problem is I'm already counting down the years until my lease ends and worrying if I'll be able to get a half-decent deal on another R Estate.

Also, DSG in S1-Manual all the time FTW  :azn:

I too went RS initially having done the deposit, wait, test drive, wait and WTF! £30k+ for a Focus bought a M235i. Great straight line summer car but sorry arse out is for track not road! I agree with post 'Swiss army knife' as the Golf R has such a selection of abilities.

Real world real money it's the only car out there! Love my R.

I owned my MK3 RS for 10 minutes and drove it 30ft  :grin:

I ordered when it was £28,940 and expected it in April/May 2016.  By July it was still looking to be several months away and there was an amazing lease deal on the Golf R Estate that I jumped on.  I remember doing crazy amounts of soul searching and being really worried I'd always regret taking the Golf over the Ford or feel like I had "sold out".

The Golf arrived first and a few weeks later the RS whereupon it was quickly turned around for a nice wee profit.  I remember a few days after I got the Golf I had the opportunity to hammer the crap out a demo RS unaccompanied.  Stock for stock it was no faster than the R Estate and, if anything, I'd fancy the Golf might be a fraction quicker (DSG).

The RS wasn't a disappointment but it was rather transparent.  Within minutes I had figured the car out: everything about it from steering, the nervousness and the pops and bangs felt engineered in.  Nothing felt natural or organic.  It gave me the same feeling as when you watch a really funny video on the internet and then moments later realise it's been set up, faked or doctored.  The golf on the other hand is super sedate and 'boring' at anything less than 7/10ths.  However, when you push that little bit harder it comes alive and everything you feel is real.  Nobody wrote lines of code that make the attitude of the car change because you suddenly upped the ante; it comes alive because the chassis and suspension has been carefully designed to respond that way under certain loading.  It's for precisely these reasons that the Golf is often labelled as a bit boring and the RS as the most exciting thing to ever leave a factory floor.  The reality is that the RS is designed to make you feel excited at 5mph and few people actually push the R hard enough on the road to wake the chassis up.

I stumbled across an outstanding piece of road today with my son and an 8m twin wall flue system in the car.  I'm not afraid to push on a little even with the wee man in the car but even still it was never exciting and the car never felt agile or adjustable - I simply couldn't load it up enough with a child and cargo on-board.  Despite driving fairly "fast" and through some great bends it could easily be labelled a boring drive.  However, the next time I drive it (on my own, empty boot) the car will be responsive, alert, twitchy (without being overly threatening) and quite capable of sliding around and the only thing that will have changed is how hard I drive it.

So after 5k miles and having used the boot to its full extent on many occasions I can safely say I don't regret it for a second.  With a JB1 fitted this old load lugger would hump an RS and the only advantage the RS really has is it's GKN AWD system.  However, even in that area I'm not disappointing with the Golf.  It won't do skids in the dry but f**k me did I hang the arse right out in a massive, "I think I might actually run out of road here" drift the other day in damp conditions.  I actually laughed out loud.  :afro:

Two great cars but the Golf's blend of talents is too far reaching IMHO.  I'd probably not feel quite the same with a hatch but I see more MK3 RS' than I do R Estates and I like that.  My big problem is I'm already counting down the years until my lease ends and worrying if I'll be able to get a half-decent deal on another R Estate.

Also, DSG in S1-Manual all the time FTW  :azn:

I know what you mean, the RS feels a little contrived. I'm convinced Ford engineered in the torque steer to make it feel like an 80's hot hatch i.e. Fiesta RS Turbo.

I know what you mean, the RS feels a little contrived. I'm convinced Ford engineered in the torque steer to make it feel like an 80's hot hatch i.e. Fiesta RS Turbo.

I agree completely.  I spent months and months reading about the issue on the RSOC forum and within 100 yards of driving the car I had its number.  That nervous/darty front end (under power) isn't a flaw.  There's no way that would get through the rigorous development of a modern car, let alone an RS product.  It was dialled into the vehicle to give it a certain character which, for me, actually takes something away.  You shouldn't have to wrestle with a car for it to be fun.  Fun is where the car communicates what's going on and is responsive to your inputs.  In a straight-line the Golf (usually) says, "I'm gripping, keep it pinned buddy" and that's all I need/want hammering it down a slip-road.

My mates Sagaris was nervous and a little flighty under acceleration.  Not because someone wanted it that way.  Rather, it was because it could barely contain its own performance and secretly wanted to kill you.  That was authentically fun.

I agree completely.  I spent months and months reading about the issue on the RSOC forum and within 100 yards of driving the car I had its number.  That nervous/darty front end (under power) isn't a flaw.  There's no way that would get through the rigorous development of a modern car, let alone an RS product.  It was dialled into the vehicle to give it a certain character which, for me, actually takes something away.  You shouldn't have to wrestle with a car for it to be fun.  Fun is where the car communicates what's going on and is responsive to your inputs.  In a straight-line the Golf (usually) says, "I'm gripping, keep it pinned buddy" and that's all I need/want hammering it down a slip-road.

My mates Sagaris was nervous and a little flighty under acceleration.  Not because someone wanted it that way.  Rather, it was because it could barely contain its own performance and secretly wanted to kill you.  That was authentically fun.

This is what I love about the Golf, you plant your right foot and it just goes with no fuss. Some might say its "soul less" or "has no feel" but IMO the steering on an AWD car shouldn't have a mind of its own. I've had two 90's Impreza's and they were planted, in a bend the laws of physics kind of way. 

Surely you buy an AWD performance car for its secure all weather ability. The RS was capable, secure and gripped well but it felt like it was trying to throw you off the road, especially when overtaking, but clearly there are many happy owners and shining reviews* so each to they're own I guess.

*Rory Ried's review on Top Gear, he loved the RS but hated the Type R, contrary to his shining review of the Honda on his own youtube channel. A bung From Ford to the BBC?

Those were my 3 main considerations for car too and I am very pleased I ended up with my R Estate and agree with comments for the R and those against the Type R and the RS. I love the look and the feel of the R and I think the estate looks pretty sweet. My main annoyance is the 2 fake tailpipes, but I will try and get something done about that so it is properly connected up, like I hear the hatch is.

On a slightly different note, the next gen Type R I saw a write up on looks pretty awesome. I believe it was a pretty decent example of what it could be and I have to say I quite enjoyed the look of it. Yes they are normally very cheesy looking, but it’s the best one I have seen in a long time.