wolverine

Something strange happened to my car today..

So I was cruising along around 50mph with the ACC set..the car in front of me slowed and then sped up.  My car braked a bit and slowed down so i thought I'd stick it into S-mode.  Carried on cruising along gaining speed towards the car in front.  Something I did I'm not sure if I braked and set off the ACC but I reset it back on.  This time the car cruised along but then didn't slow down for the other car in front of me ie. it didn't detect the car in front even though ACC was on.    It suddenly started a wobbly and I felt power slip totally, almost like it was throttling me back big time.  So there I was on a 50mph road doing around 30mph and starting to cause a jam behind me.  Accelerating didn't do anything and I couldn't go any faster, the car was almost conking out - putting into race mode or S-mode did nothing. 

As I'm writing this I'm suddenly having a thought that I set my max speed to 30mph or something, because no matter how hard I pressed the accelerator I wasn't going anywhere.  Then I saw my fuel was redlining and I had 30miles left in the tank so I thought perhaps the car has a cut out to stop over-revving or going too fast.  But I didn't get any warning lights.

So I'm probably an idiot and should read the manual (which is in the car now) but pretty sure I set a limiter....either that or the car is broke.... but I can't for the life of me think how I did it as this has never happened to me before.  

p.s. further down the road I stopped, then restarted and everything was fine, until I set ACC to 30mph and then it started doing a wobbly on me and wouldn't go faster than 20.

Not tested, however, I'd presume you can bypass the limiter due to safety reasons. Just like you can bypass the set ACC speed but the car will reduce speed back to that limit once you release your foot, no?

Sounds a bit odd. 

Call VW assist, get them out to do a quick scan - it's free!

Not tested, however, I'd presume you can bypass the limiter due to safety reasons. Just like you can bypass the set ACC speed but the car will reduce speed back to that limit once you release your foot, no?

Sounds a bit odd. 

Call VW assist, get them out to do a quick scan - it's free!

I think you have to hit the kickdown switch to make it exceed the limit you've set.