Sign in to follow this  
Benjamino69uk

Mk7 Golf R Headlights

I've recently converted from a 2014 Octavia vRS to a 2016 Golf R, but I'm having real issues with the headlight throw.

Where the vRS had excellent Xenon lights that lit up the road really well on dipped beam, the R is some what disappointing and makes me slightly hesitant on unlit country roads.

Does anyone else have this issue, and do you know if the lights can be manually adjusted or altered by ODBEleven?

I've recently converted from a 2014 Octavia vRS to a 2016 Golf R, but I'm having real issues with the headlight throw.

Where the vRS had excellent Xenon lights that lit up the road really well on dipped beam, the R is some what disappointing and makes me slightly hesitant on unlit country roads.

Does anyone else have this issue, and do you know if the lights can be manually adjusted or altered by ODBEleven?

I have heard that some of the Golf Rs are delivered with "miss aligned" head lights.   ie.  adusted so the headlights are pretty much pointing straight down.   Do a bit of a search on this as the headlights on them are quite good but others have complained about this exact thing and all they needed was to be properly adjusted.

Thank you for that information jdmgolf I'll have a look. Do you know if this something the customer can do, or does it need to go back to the dealers for this adjustment?

Take a look in this thread (from post #5 onwards) which includes a link on how to manually adjust the lights to raise the beam.

http://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/18575-headlights-7r/?p=310386

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I always thought my late 2014 build headlights were low but never did anything about it (just assumed for some reason that's how they are meant to be).  

Current (late 2016) seem a bit higher. But now I am not sure if they are high enough.  

Is the general idea, without measuring anything, that on a flat straight road, the lights should go quite far ahead as long as they are not actually pointing higher than horizontal?

Please don't forget that VW issued a service bulletin for a quality issue on the headlights relating to dirty lenses giving the effect of "fogging".  They had not been cleaned during the manufacturing / assembly process.  This "fogging" throws the beam all over the place, I ended up having mine replaced under warranty.  the throw is much better. 

Please don't forget that VW issued a service bulletin for a quality issue on the headlights relating to dirty lenses giving the effect of "fogging".  They had not been cleaned during the manufacturing / assembly process.  This "fogging" throws the beam all over the place, I ended up having mine replaced under warranty.  the throw is much better.

Have you got a link to that service bulletin ?

And do you mean the chrome part on the headlight fitting ?

Mine are filthy smeared.

Or do you mean the inside of the glass ?

I haven't got a link I'm afraid, the local VW dealer wouldn't let me have a copy although they did let me read it.  its the actual spherical lens in the middle of the headlight, if that's dirty the light pattern is sent in all directions.

from what I can ascertain this seems to affect earlier models but the replacement one I had still had the odd mark on them.

its worth pushing your local dealer as it doesn't look like a product recall, merely a quality issue

I haven't got a link I'm afraid, the local VW dealer wouldn't let me have a copy although they did let me read it.  its the actual spherical lens in the middle of the headlight, if that's dirty the light pattern is sent in all directions.

from what I can ascertain this seems to affect earlier models but the replacement one I had still had the odd mark on them.

its worth pushing your local dealer as it doesn't look like a product recall, merely a quality issue

Looked at mine today , deffo filthy covered In smear marks.

But only visible when your lights are on.

Will check with my dealer at the next service.

Anyone else here have smear marks/fogging/dirty appearance inside their headlight projector lenses? Because I'm having trouble with the dealer who says that's how they are and have been checked by 3 technicians. I asked if they are with smear marks inside the lenses by design, from the factory? Dreadful service, they talk to you like you are clueless about cars

40 minutes ago, GregR-125 said:

Anyone else here have smear marks/fogging/dirty appearance inside their headlight projector lenses? Because I'm having trouble with the dealer who says that's how they are and have been checked by 3 technicians. I asked if they are with smear marks inside the lenses by design, from the factory? Dreadful service, they talk to you like you are clueless about cars

Depends what marks you mean. There’s a characteristic sort of ‘halo’ that appears in the lenses which many have.  I have it, but it’s not smearing or fogging, more like a reflection. 

These are mine.  You can just see the halos in the grey section.

22349947771_7df87be6e8_o.jpg

Someone else had it to this degree, with fogging by the looks of it. 

9mJ63ts.jpg

37 minutes ago, Booth11 said:

Depends what marks you mean. There’s a characteristic sort of ‘halo’ that appears in the lenses which many have.  I have it, but it’s not smearing or fogging, more like a reflection. 

These are mine.  You can just see the halos in the grey section.

22349947771_7df87be6e8_o.jpg

Someone else had it to this degree, with fogging by the looks of it. 

9mJ63ts.jpg

Thank you for your reply and photos - My lenses just look dirty with cloudy marks inside - best seen from almost a right angle, I'll try and take some photos later but struggled to last night. Yoy can see the top of my lenses are clear but from around half way down it's easy to see the cloudy marks/smears