New VWROC format - Tips, tricks shortcuts

In due course we will update some of the existing help threads such as posting photos etc, as the new platform now allows image hosting so you can upload direct from your device or computer.

Image posting is now much simpler and no need for third party image hosting such as Flickr or Photobucket etc, although you can still use these methods should you want to.

In the meantime, here's a very brief whistlestop guide to posting an image.  Note this is on an iPad but should give you the gist of it.

• Start a new post.  At the bottom left of the box is a link to attach photos/files.  To upload an image from your device/computer, simply tap or click the link which will allow you to browse your photo files/library, select and attach/upload your desired photo(s).

IMG_1515.thumb.JPG.a25e191cee8968d80397442ac7109fc2.JPG

• You can choose to attach a single or multiple photos at a time.  If you intend to add multiple photos to your post you can attach them all at once and have them ready to upload and insert into your post.  

IMG_1516.thumb.PNG.6babd71302e828cd3621e4ffe294d670.PNG

• You will see that each attached pic has a + symbol inset to the left.  You can insert a photo in the desired part of your post by tapping the + symbol to upload the chosen pic into your post at the relevant point - see pic below.  Similarly there is a trash symbol to the right to discard unwanted pics.

IMG_1521.thumb.JPG.c5c9a0831414a74321b22364939591c9.JPG

• Additionally, the system also keeps any pics you have previously attached, for future use if desired.  By tapping 'Insert other media' and choosing 'Insert existing attachment', it will bring up all the pics you have previously attached for you to browse and you can insert a pic into a post by tapping the tick symbol and 'insert * selected' to upload the chosen pic at the point in the post where you want the pic to be displayed.  

IMG_1522.thumb.JPG.0accac7d35f24305d46253e8ca04e540.JPG

IMG_1523.thumb.JPG.0c328524ef3b5e9d26003ecad0182835.JPG

Like so: 

IMG_1524.thumb.PNG.60f493810ab6ee28b6a67102b3dc9a78.PNG

• 9 months later...
On 28/03/2017 at 23:57, Booth11 said:
In due course we will update some of the existing help threads such as posting photos etc, as the new platform now allows image hosting so you can upload direct from your device or computer.

Image posting is now much simpler and no need for third party image hosting such as Flickr or Photobucket etc, although you can still use these methods should you want to.

In the meantime, here's a very brief whistlestop guide to posting an image.  Note this is on an iPad but should give you the gist of it.

• Start a new post.  At the bottom left of the box is a link to attach photos/files.  To upload an image from your device/computer, simply tap or click the link which will allow you to browse your photo files/library, select and attach/upload your desired photo(s).

IMG_1515.thumb.JPG.a25e191cee8968d80397442ac7109fc2.JPG

• You can choose to attach a single or multiple photos at a time.  If you intend to add multiple photos to your post you can attach them all at once and have them ready to upload and insert into your post.  

IMG_1516.thumb.PNG.6babd71302e828cd3621e4ffe294d670.PNG

• You will see that each attached pic has a + symbol inset to the left.  You can insert a photo in the desired part of your post by tapping the + symbol to upload the chosen pic into your post at the relevant point - see pic below.  Similarly there is a trash symbol to the right to discard unwanted pics.

IMG_1521.thumb.JPG.c5c9a0831414a74321b22364939591c9.JPG

• Additionally, the system also keeps any pics you have previously attached, for future use if desired.  By tapping 'Insert other media' and choosing 'Insert existing attachment', it will bring up all the pics you have previously attached for you to browse and you can insert a pic into a post by tapping the tick symbol and 'insert * selected' to upload the chosen pic at the point in the post where you want the pic to be displayed.  

IMG_1522.thumb.JPG.0accac7d35f24305d46253e8ca04e540.JPG

IMG_1523.thumb.JPG.0c328524ef3b5e9d26003ecad0182835.JPG

Like so: 

IMG_1524.thumb.PNG.60f493810ab6ee28b6a67102b3dc9a78.PNG

When you upload an image does it automatically strip out and geotag and other embedded photo data ?

Thanks.

14 minutes ago, Rob2k68 said:

When you upload an image does it automatically strip out and geotag and other embedded photo data ?

Thanks.

To my knowledge, I don’t think so, but will double check.  I would think you need to setup data stripping/disable geotagging on your device/computer photos settings. 

@invisiblekid

14 minutes ago, Booth11 said:

To my knowledge, I don’t think so, but will double check.  I would think you need to setup data stripping/disable geotagging on your device/computer photos settings. 

@invisiblekid

Thanks for that  ;o)

This cropped up on ASN but they ran a macro to delete it from every photo that had ever been uploaded and also added a script so it would do the same to future uploads.

6 minutes ago, Rob2k68 said:

Thanks for that  ;o)

This cropped up on ASN but they ran a macro to delete it from every photo that had ever been uploaded and also added a script so it would do the same to future uploads.

Let’s see what @admin can tell us. :)

I personally have my iphone set up to disable capture of geotags etc, in Privacy - Location Services - Camera settings as rather take control myself.  Plus I have geogars etc disabled on photo sites such as Flickr which I still use. 

@Booth11I’ve just downloaded a pic taken at the NEC that I uploaded and all GPS data was available.

In the app I use to resize pics I’ve found a setting to strip metadata on the resized image so I’ll use that in future.

Will be good if admin are able to do these as a huge batch on the database particularly photos in the members rides, garage, detailing sections etc that are generally taken at home.

6 minutes ago, Rob2k68 said:

@Booth11I’ve just downloaded a pic taken at the NEC that I uploaded and all GPS data was available.

In the app I use to resize pics I’ve found a setting to strip metadata on the resized image so I’ll use that in future.

Will be good if admin are able to do these as a huge batch on the database particularly photos in the members rides, garage, detailing sections etc that are generally taken at home.

👍 Yes many photo resizing apps have a data stripping function so good you’ve found that for your pics.  

I agree that IF the current forum pic uploading funtion does already not strip data (and even if you do that yourself) it would be very desirable for forum software to be able to do that, as you say the majority of photos of members’ cars are often taken at their home locations. 

I have tested this in the past and I found this forum DOES NOT strip meta data saved within an image. I'm unsure if this varies from browser or device but I am using Safari on a MAC and meta data is retained when images are uploaded.

Original Image with GPS data showing in Photoshop

5a69ce730cefc_ScreenShot2018-01-25at12_32_26.thumb.png.5beabe3b9eab6f99942be217f1812a2c.png

Original Image (including Meta Data) that has been uploaded to the forum:

IMG_7445.thumb.JPG.7bf66b59c16acf690f7fe88095538ba5.JPG

I've then downloaded that image from VWROC Image Hosting and opened it in Photoshop and you can still see the GPS Metadata.

5a69cf801358a_ScreenShot2018-01-25at12_36_48.thumb.png.b5d4624284bc3c10e32ec71a63214b99.png

This is what it should look like without data

5a69cf2b36fe5_ScreenShot2018-01-25at12_33_33.thumb.png.5becbfa0d0d1692092885cb48e2dfc41.png

For this reason, if I want to share an image I have taken on my phone, I put the image on my computer and process it with Photoshop where I can remove Metadata. 

For anyone interested where those position co-ordinates are, it's not my house, it's a private car park in Central London.