There's some really good home security information in various threads around the forum. I thought it might be useful to try to keep it all in one place. Admins/mods: if you think this is a waste of time or it's already been done feel free to delete this. 😄

I'll start with a question based on the recent discussion about replacing door locks with anti-snap versions. My front and back doors have three-point deadbolts which engage when you twist the handle anti-clockwise. You then have to turn the key to lock everything in place. I don't know if the cylinders in the lock are snap-proof. I suspect they're not. My question is: if I replace the cylinder with a snap-proof version will it have any effect on the deadbolt mechanism or is that completely separate from the cylinder?

Thanks. :)

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just a heads up for you all. I regularly fit euro door cylinders and have recently had an old door given to me. I have tried a few cylinders in there and had a go at breaking them. What I can confirm

This is a brilliant idea!

sent you a msg mate not willing to advise my security on a open forum  

Posted Images

There's some really good home security information in various threads around the forum. I thought it might be useful to try to keep it all in one place. Admins/mods: if you think this is a waste of time or it's already been done feel free to delete this. 

I'll start with a question based on the recent discussion about replacing door locks with anti-snap versions. My front and back doors have three-point deadbolts which engage when you twist the handle anti-clockwise. You then have to turn the key to lock everything in place. I don't know if the cylinders in the lock are snap-proof. I suspect they're not. My question is: if I replace the cylinder with a snap-proof version will it have any effect on the deadbolt mechanism or is that completely separate from the cylinder?

Thanks.

Snap proof locks normally have 3 stars stamped on the face of the lock, it won't effect your deadbolt mechanism at all as it's separate, it's just a case of removing one screw on the side of the door and the cylinder slides out, then you slide the new one in and replace the screw. Best to take you cylinder out and measure it to get the correct size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
3 minutes ago, Taz23-R said:

Snap proof locks normally have 3 stars stamped on the face of the lock, it won't effect your deadbolt mechanism at all as it's separate, it's just a case of removing one screw on the side of the door and the cylinder slides out, then you slide the new one in and replace the screw. Best to take you cylinder out and measure it to get the correct size.

That's what I thought. Thanks for confirming it. :)

It's all available via the search function Bill 👍

http://www.vwroc.com/forums/search/?&q=security&type=forums_topic&nodes=2&search_in=titles&sortby=relevancy

I think a security section is a worrying development on a car forum, but if there's a big enough demand we'll consider it.

15 minutes ago, invisiblekid said:

It's all available via the search function Bill 1f44d.png

http://www.vwroc.com/forums/search/?&q=security&type=forums_topic&nodes=2&search_in=titles&sortby=relevancy

I think a security section is a worrying development on a car forum, but if there's a big enough demand we'll consider it.

I wasn't suggesting a separate section, just a single thread for discussion, rather than having the information spread throughout different threads. :)

14 minutes ago, BillTheButcher said:

I wasn't suggesting a separate section, just a single thread for discussion, rather than having the information spread throughout different threads. :)

Gotcha. I suppose we could just pin this thread. Let's see how it develops. We just have to be careful it doesn't become all about shooting burglars in the face...

This is a great idea and solves where to put some questions I had!

What do people recommend for security cameras? Preferably with a security light and be WiFi enabled. We have just moved into a place with a large driveway and I would like something to cover that. I was initially just thinking a light with a PIR but after reading things on here, am now thinking about bulking up security ... especially once the R arrives.

20 minutes ago, TeaJay said:

This is a great idea and solves where to put some questions I had!

What do people recommend for security cameras? Preferably with a security light and be WiFi enabled. We have just moved into a place with a large driveway and I would like something to cover that. I was initially just thinking a light with a PIR but after reading things on here, am now thinking about bulking up security ... especially once the R arrives.

We've got cameras and security lights all over our property. Can all be accessed via our mobile phone from anywhere in the world. We also have a doorbell that is exactly the same, doesn't actually ring in the house, only to our phones! Then we can answer it like intercom, but we can see them through the camera and talk to them - Very good at getting rid of door-to-door salesmen as you can answer and tell them your not interested. Or when you want to act like your not in but still see who's at the door, you can view the camera and not talk to them and they have no idea. We also have a house alarm that would wake us all up if someone even tried entering our front door. I don't keep my car on display, stays locked behind 2 big metal doors. Also have Autowatch Ghost and a Tracker.... can't be too careful ay! Only thing I need now is a disklock. I'm still so worried about having the car jacked off me mid driving, as I live in the midlands and this has been happening a LOT recently.

1 minute ago, JamieGR7 said:

We've got cameras and security lights all over our property. Can all be accessed via our mobile phone from anywhere in the world. We also have a doorbell that is exactly the same, doesn't actually ring in the house, only to our phones! Then we can answer it like intercom, but we can see them through the camera and talk to them - Very good at getting rid of door-to-door salesmen as you can answer and tell them your not interested. Or when you want to act like your not in but still see who's at the door, you can view the camera and not talk to them and they have no idea. We also have a house alarm that would wake us all up if someone even tried entering our front door. I don't keep my car on display, stays locked behind 2 big metal doors. Also have Autowatch Ghost and a Tracker.... can't be too careful ay! Only thing I need now is a disklock. I'm still so worried about having the car jacked off me mid driving, as I live in the midlands and this has been happening a LOT recently.

Those cameras / lights sounds exactly what I'm after. What did you go for if you don't mind me asking? I've been looking at the RING Video Doorbell Pro but unsure on a camera for the driveway / inside the house.

14 minutes ago, invisiblekid said:

I've made this a sticky and changed the title to home & car security. As long as it stays on topic, we'll keep it pinned. 

Excellent. Thanks. :) 

3 minutes ago, JamieGR7 said:

Wow. 😮

2 minutes ago, TeaJay said:

Those cameras / lights sounds exactly what I'm after. What did you go for if you don't mind me asking? I've been looking at the RING Video Doorbell Pro but unsure on a camera for the driveway / inside the house.

I was looking at the RING stuff as well. After the door locks I'd like to get an alarm/CCTV system installed.

16 minutes ago, TeaJay said:

Well, we did ours in stages. So originally we had 5 Cameras done by some local jobby off gumtree. He basically done what I could have done (just didn't realise it at the time) and set up a camera box, run cables to the cameras and set it all up on the network. This cost around £1000 for everything from start to finish. Around 2 years later the box just died one day. So I spoke to the guy who deals with our security at work, he got right on it, went round my house, priced up a new box, 2 new 4k cameras and the doorbell. Cost me another £1100... money well spent I'd say! Also, the new cameras have sound. Clear enough to pick up a feint whisper at the end of my drive (tried and tested).