Richard_Nottm

Private car sale advice - is there a scam here?

29 minutes ago, Richard_Nottm said:

Ok. Think my post dropped in above as you posted yours....good to hear your experience was ok....he just seemed a bit non fussed about the purchase which i find odd. See dialogue above.

Oh well will no doubt make a decision later....

I think im fairly trusting but with a common sense view to tick all the right boxes...something in my gut is just a bit rattled by what should be simple transaction....hes not even asked me to unlist it!   Do i keep taking viewings until the full amount is in the bank?

It's does seem a bit odd that he's not asking any questions, but at the end of the day you don't part with it until the cash is secure in your bank account. If he doesn't want it when he eventually sees it, or are any other issues, then sale doesn't go ahead and off he goes.  Goes without saying that any test drive should be accompanied one, and his insurance checked first.  You can always keep it listed until the sale is finalised.  I didn't have to consider that aspect as GTI sold before I got as far as advertising it. 

Sleep on it and see see how you feel tomorrow. 

I did work with someone once that woke up in the middle of the night and went on eBay and purchased a BMW that was on auction by placing a last minute bid.  They had never seen the car or anything, totally rash purchase so these type of relaxed people do exist.  I just think as we all are car proud we tend to do a lot more decisions based on lots of preparation where as some people just think that car will do, buy.

So I have recently privately sold my BMW 330D for near on 20k. Naturally with that kind of money changing hands I was very cautious, but a bank transfer using sort code and account number is fine. All someone can really do with those details is put money into your account.

All you need to do, and what I did, is wait to see the money in your account before handing over the keys. It's normally instant with a 5 minute delay at most. Then give them the green slip from the V5C and inform the DVLA using their online system at https://www.gov.uk/sold-bought-vehicle
Once you've done that you and he will get an email confirming the change of ownership. Then destroy the remaining part of the V5C as it's no longer valid.

The one thing I will say is transfer the money into another account straight away. I think people can recall money in some instances so I played it safe by moving it into a savings account the minute he drove away.

Exactly the same as me, I sold my 330D convertible, buyer offered cash I said no bank transfer only, money was straight in my account then moved to another just to be safe, it's very hard to impossible to stop or reverse a bank transfer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks all for the info. 

Off to Devon in the morning for the week....so thought sod it....just sent him the details...fingers crossed.

If the sale all goes to plan it will be perfect timing wise.

Otherwise, dunno what to expect!

Acc no. and sort code + name is fine, just sanity check for unfamiliar direct debits afterwards, although this is extremely unlikely and would be done only as a joke or an attempt to mildly scare/irritate you.

For a direct debit to go through, the company taking a DD payment must have a SUN number (Service user number) which is sort of a way for the payments to a company to be backed by the banks, so you couldn't have this guy setup his own company and raise a direct debit to that without being legitimately sponsored by the banks for example. Even if those hoops were all jumped through by a rogue company you then have the direct debit guarantee which effectively allows you to have your money refunded and the DD cancelled as soon as you give the order to do so (it works really well, I have done this in the past a few times when companies have taken double payments by mistake).

In real life anyone attempting this would have to put in serious effort to get everything in place and then probably be shut right down after a few dodgy payments received, basically, not going to happen.

In short, as long as you wait for the amount to clear into your account, it is as good as cash. You don't need to transfer the money into another account unless you are worried that there is evidence out there that could prove you defrauded the guy into making the payment in the first place. The other guy would have to contact his bank to say he made the transfer in error or was scammed at which point various processes happen and you are contacted anyway, they cannot take the money back unless they can prove you took the money through fraudulent means and this would take a long time in itself as both sides are investigated and the law involved.

As far as the transfer itself, as long as both your banks have "Faster Payments" enabled you can transfer up to 250k (depending on your banks limits of course) within an hour. In reality that would only be if the system was extremely busy, most of the time it's seconds or minutes.

You are completely correct to check up on this though, first rule of anything like this, question everything you are even slightly unsure of until you completely understand the potentials for the scenario.

Enjoy your trip to Devon :)  

It does sound a bit sceptical but as others have said there are laid back people with a ton of capital that are happy to just have any car from an enthusiast.  

Only small worry for me would be giving away my address (before I go away), that way the buyer knows you are away on holiday and also knows where you live.

You could allay your fears and perhaps cut to the chase and say you don't want to offend but just out of interest why is he so keen to buy a car that he's never seen or driven before especially as it costs a lot of money and then gauge the response.

Another thing to be careful of is ID fraud. Yes, he can't take money out of your account once he knows your details however these are just a few extra details he will know which could add the extra pieces to the "id clone" puzzle. If the guy is genuine (which is highly likely but you gotta look at the risks) he wouldn't mind or be offended if you were a bit dubious, so long as you give a reason for your paranoia eg. expensive high performance car, problem with a previous car you sold. Etcetc. Good luck!

15 minutes ago, wolverine said:

Only small worry for me would be giving away my address (before I go away), that way the buyer knows you are away on holiday and also knows where you live.

Indeed, don't do this unless you are really confident in your security!

16 minutes ago, wolverine said:

Another thing to be careful of is ID fraud. Yes, he can't take money out of your account once he knows your details however these are just a few extra details he will know which could add the extra pieces to the "id clone" puzzle. If the guy is genuine (which is highly likely but you gotta look at the risks) he wouldn't mind or be offended if you were a bit dubious, so long as you give a reason for your paranoia eg. expensive high performance car, problem with a previous car you sold. Etcetc. Good luck!

Yes this can and does happen, but they will need account details, DOB, address, card details etc etc. So in this case, if the guy suddenly sends you an email asking you to go to a site for whatever reason, stop and refuse to deal with him any further. ID cloning is a whole other layer of pain and it won't be the car they are interested in at all.

As long as the OP only gives out the info he mentions and doesn't respond to the guy for further private information, or click links on emails that are unsolicited etc then he shouldn't need to worry about the original question of acc no. and sort code.

Never done a private sale mainly about worry with scam. Have you checked with a dealer ship to see what the difference in price is from you are offered? Less headache going that route.

When I sold my GTI, I had two viewers (one bought it) and the one thing that both did do  (off their own backs) was to send me a link to their Linkedin in profiles and as both were enthusiasts they also gave me details of their usernames and links to forums on  which they were active.  It just helped to give some added assurance that they were genuine.  Now I know not everyone uses that type of social networking but might be worth just asking. 

16 hours ago, Richard_Nottm said:

Ok, So my R32 is up for sale.

Im in Notts/derby. A chap rang from kent earlier in the week who says hes buying a car for his son whos finishing uni bla blah.   Wanted to get the train up today originally to view but the plan changed.  So, theres been a few calls from a mobile number.  Im then away for a week tmrw-until saturday.  He said he would arrange something soon. 

Hes now called today saying he wants to put a deposit on the car....likes me, the ad and various bit and bobs....wants to pay me £400 deposit and then the balance when he comes up (either cash/bank transfer or both).

Friend of mine in Manchester had almost exactly the same thing about a month ago when selling his A1:

• Buyer was from down south
  • Buying for his son
  • Was going to get the train up
  • Plans made then changed
  • Wanted to pay a deposit to secure the car

Could be a coincidence, but a lot of very specific details in common with you...

1 hour ago, SB73 said:

Friend of mine in Manchester had almost exactly the same thing about a month ago when selling his A1:

So did the sale go OK ?  or did something happen or sold to someone else  ?

To the OP, you could always ask the buyer for some of his details - full name, where he works, where he banks, home tel. number,  and then ring his employer up to check he works there if you are worried.

3 minutes ago, JonnyG said:

To the OP, you could always ask the buyer for some of his details - full name, where he works, where he banks, home tel. number,  and ask for a reference if you are worried.

Agree ! If he's genuine he should t mind giving you these details. After all he's gonna have your bank account and address details soon!

10 minutes ago, JonnyG said:

Sale didn't happen - my friend insisted on payment by bank transfer, buyer disappeared.