wolverine

Locked out!! Damn you VW!!!

Grrrr. Had my keys in my jacket, popped it in the boot, walked away, came back an hour later to find I'm locked out!! Really VW can you not sort this stupid design flaw out?! My wife's car is half the price of mine yet she does t have this problem with her keyless keys!! And to top it off one needs to sign a disclaimer to The AA as they "can't guaranty causing damage trying to get into your car".  So angry right now!! 

Yea I cant think of a good solution here.

Either, the car stays unlocked with your keys in the boot, or it locks with the keys inside.

Neither is a good situation.

Does the car alert when you close the boot with the keys inside? Like flash the indicators or beep? 

how does this happen? is this caused by locking the car after you've left the keys in the boot or is it you've locked the car with the boot open and then the boot locks when you shut it?

curious as i'm getting a new R with keyless entry............

BMW got round this problem in the 80's by giving you a 3rd very thin plastic 'emergency' key you could stash in your wallet .....all fine as long as you didn't lock your wallet in the boot as well !!!

the one time I did it with the polo, the mrs had to bring her key for it 20 miles to where I was !.......that cost me, I'll tell you !

My elderly parents have a 2003 Nissan Micra which is keyless (believe it or not it's standard on top spec trim!)...and even that has the feature of the car not being able to lock while the key is inside. No push button start but you turn a dial next to the steering wheel to fire up the 1.2 beast.

Very surprising in 2018 that VW's system lets this happen. You're not the only one I think as I've seen other posts about this on the forum.

Someone else can enlighten me, but I think the car auto-locks after a while - regardless of keyless or standard key.

The car does indeed lock after a while, keyless or not.

I found out when my nephew was playing with my car key one evening, went out the next day to see my door mirrors not folded in but when I tried the door it was locked...

EDIT (mine hasn't got keyless)

1 hour ago, xPETEZx said:

Does the car alert when you close the boot with the keys inside? Like flash the indicators or beep? 

Yes it will flash the indicators four times, and refuse to lock the boot for exactly two minutes. Not exactly very noticeable though, especially if you're not watching out for it.

After two minutes, if you haven't retrieved the keys, the boot will lock. Happened to me last year.

I had a spare key cut from the blade part of the regular key. It is purely the metal part of the key, and it is small enough to keep in my wallet. If I ever get locked out again, the spare key will be enough to unlock the car using the hidden lock behind the driver's door handle. Then I should be able to crawl into the boot and retrieve the actual key !

6 minutes ago, camelsac2002 said:

I'm never one to laugh at someone else's misfortune but I'm glad I never specced keyless - that and the reversing camera are just pointless options to me but it's down to personal preferences I guess!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Agree.  Keyless and reversing camera are standard US-spec, but I'm deeply suspicious of how the doors randomly lock/unlock even though I supposedly have the proximity feature shut off.  Mentioned it to the local VW service department while they changed the oil this past weekend, but it didn't misbehave for them.  After a year and a half with the rear camera, I hardly ever look at the screen when reversing and haven't backed into anything (or anybody!) yet.  VW didn't see fit to include sensors that beep as one closes in on an object . . . that's a feature I'd like to have.  Sensors appear to be standard on US-spec 2017 (non-facelifted) Rs.  I checked out a white manual in the showroom while waiting.  Love those Prets VW finally decided to bring over.  Dealer also had a virtually new-looking 3K mile gray 2016 R with DCT for sale on the lot. 

1 hour ago, hazbot said:

Yes it will flash the indicators four times, and refuse to lock the boot for exactly two minutes. Not exactly very noticeable though, especially if you're not watching out for it.

After two minutes, if you haven't retrieved the keys, the boot will lock. Happened to me last year.

I had a spare key cut from the blade part of the regular key. It is purely the metal part of the key, and it is small enough to keep in my wallet. If I ever get locked out again, the spare key will be enough to unlock the car using the hidden lock behind the driver's door handle. Then I should be able to crawl into the boot and retrieve the actual key !

Thats a clever solution with the key blade in the wallet. Like it!

Despite not having keyless, I do make heavy use of the "boot unlock" button, and am always fearful of accidentally putting my keys in there before slamming it shut.

I don't have keyless on the Golf, but on the Corrado you can unlock the boot lid with the key without triggering the central locking, so that when you slam the boot lid it's locked again (as is the rest of the car), so — especially before I got a 2nd key cut — I got into the habit of holding the car keys in my hand furthest from the car and double-checking that I was doing so before shutting it.

I use a keychain. Key always attached to my person(My R is keyless option), works a treat to stave off my increasingly senile tendencies to abandon my keys randomly.

Unless I decide to whip my trousers off and stash them in the boot (and it's quite feasible😂) I'm unlikely to lock myself out of the car.

I think its just a case of training yourself not to put keys in the boot or keys in bags in boot, whether keyless or not.  Similar to JamesOff and LouCyffer, I make sure keys are in hand or on my person and not ever had any locking in issues with keyless.  It's very unfortunate occurrence and but I bet OP doesn't do it ever again.  [emoji853]