wolverine

Locked out!! Damn you VW!!!

Presumably with keyless you don't ever need to take the key out of your pocket? So in that case unless you leave your trousers behind the keys are never left in the car or is that a bit to simple?

7 hours ago, ExSkoda said:

Presumably with keyless you don't ever need to take the key out of your pocket? So in that case unless you leave your trousers behind the keys are never left in the car or is that a bit to simple?

That's about the size of it. Of course, if you put your key in a jacket pocket and drop that in the boot, you can lock yourself out. In fairness, the boot unlock feature on a 'standard' car has the potential to lock your keys in, too. 

17 hours ago, wolverine said:

Grrrr. Had my keys in my jacket, popped it in the boot, walked away, came back an hour later to find I'm locked out!! Really VW can you not sort this stupid design flaw out?! My wife's car is half the price of mine yet she does t have this problem with her keyless keys!! And to top it off one needs to sign a disclaimer to The AA as they "can't guaranty causing damage trying to get into your car".  So angry right now!! 

I'm glad they don't guarantee to cause damage... 

I had this whilst mountain biking at Glentress last year. Returned to the car after a hard solo ride. I opened the boot (without unlocking the doors), threw my backpack and helmet inside, closed the boot, and went off to wash my bike. I should point out that I usually have my car key in my shorts pocket. Not this time. Spare key was almost four hundred miles away.

Returning to the car, I realised my mistake. Also in my bag was my phone and wallet. Luckily, the bike shop on-site let me use their phone to call for Greenflag. They also got me a drink and a bowl of chips from the cafe next door - heroic stuff, they'd spotted that I was already shivering. After at couple of hours, a guy from a local garage showed up, made me sign a disclaimer, then proceeded to wedge open the top of the front door, slip a long bare steel pole inside, then try and unlatch the door. No dice, obviously, although he did offer to try the other side! No damage done, phew!

After a couple more phone calls, we arranged for a car locksmith to come out. This took a while, since he had to finish his shift as a fireman. He arrived in a beaten-up looking Transit, but the interior looked like something from NASA. He left all the high-tech stuff, pulled out an office chair and a set of picks, sat down and went to work on the hidden lock on the driver's side door. After about fifteen minutes and two different sets of picks, he picked the lock and popped the door!

Even though I'd been there over seven hours, and paid the guy a couple of hundred quid, I don't think I've ever been more grateful. First time I've done that in over thirty years of driving, and I'll never do it again!

I had this whilst mountain biking at Glentress last year. Returned to the car after a hard solo ride. I opened the boot (without unlocking the doors), threw my backpack and helmet inside, closed the boot, and went off to wash my bike. I should point out that I usually have my car key in my shorts pocket. Not this time. Spare key was almost four hundred miles away.

Returning to the car, I realised my mistake. Also in my bag was my phone and wallet. Luckily, the bike shop on-site let me use their phone to call for Greenflag. They also got me a drink and a bowl of chips from the cafe next door - heroic stuff, they'd spotted that I was already shivering. After at couple of hours, a guy from a local garage showed up, made me sign a disclaimer, then proceeded to wedge open the top of the front door, slip a long bare steel pole inside, then try and unlatch the door. No dice, obviously, although he did offer to try the other side! No damage done, phew!

After a couple more phone calls, we arranged for a car locksmith to come out. This took a while, since he had to finish his shift as a fireman. He arrived in a beaten-up looking Transit, but the interior looked like something from NASA. He left all the high-tech stuff, pulled out an office chair and a set of picks, sat down and went to work on the hidden lock on the driver's side door. After about fifteen minutes and two different sets of picks, he picked the lock and popped the door!

Even though I'd been there over seven hours, and paid the guy a couple of hundred quid, I don't think I've ever been more grateful. First time I've done that in over thirty years of driving, and I'll never do it again!

Randy,

I did the exact thing after a tennis match last year and I also was "away". It was the May bank holiday actually and the car was less than a month old. After much ado and on the advice of the attendant AA provided locksmith, I ( as in me because he wouldn't do it!!) had to break the rear quarterlight window. It was like beating my child to death. Incredibly, It did take 8 blows of a hammer to break it but it broke and I got the key fob. VW replaced the window for around €100. I was amazed. All good now. It was the right thing to do, in that case and at that time. Painful though! I too walked away to "do something else". I think I'll get a nose ring.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Horrible feeling, isn't it? Must admit, I did find a big rock to break a window, but just couldn't bring myself to do it! That's pretty cheap for a window, I guess it would be a lot more for a bigger pane. Nose ring might be the answer! :afro:

I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not ...the keyless on my RS275 does not lock the car if it detects the key within X range, which has saved me a few times when I have (stupidly) left my keys in the car. This has obviously meant though, the car has been wide open to the world ... and one occasion had the key in plain sight on the passenger seat :( 😳

Thanks for all the great comments guys.  As someone mentioned earlier also, its a major design flaw.  Simply because if you leave your keys in main cabin, the car doesn't lock, yet leave them in the boot and it does.  Rather than just the rear lights flashing to warn you you've left keys in boot, there should probably be an audible sign as not everyone hangs round waiting to see if they've left keys in boot.  

Rebecca > Unfortunately I didn't learn my lesson.  2nd time this has happened although admittedly the first was a while back and I vowed it wouldn't happen again but seeing that the weather was so nice and I couldn't keep the keys (attached to bulky fob) in my 'tight work trousers' (LOL) I had to learn the hard way...again!  I've always been sceptical about signing a damage waiver form - its like saying if you damage my car you're not liable even though VW are to blame for stupid design flaw.  And breaking my windows won't work as I've got the secure film on them too.

Fortunately spare set of keys at home a few miles away so no biggie, just a bit of hassle...lets just hope it doesn't happen again but I do like the sound of keeping a spare blade inside wallet!  

p.s. I'll never regret keyless, nor rear camera.  For one its so much better just touching the handle and locking/unlocking the car rather than fumbling around scratching the door handle each time.  And rear view cam is a joy parking in garage backwards and various tight spaces.  

9 hours ago, wolverine said:

Thanks for all the great comments guys.  As someone mentioned earlier also, its a major design flaw.  Simply because if you leave your keys in main cabin, the car doesn't lock, yet leave them in the boot and it does.  Rather than just the rear lights flashing to warn you you've left keys in boot, there should probably be an audible sign as not everyone hangs round waiting to see if they've left keys in boot.  

Rebecca > Unfortunately I didn't learn my lesson.  2nd time this has happened although admittedly the first was a while back and I vowed it wouldn't happen again but seeing that the weather was so nice and I couldn't keep the keys (attached to bulky fob) in my 'tight work trousers' (LOL) I had to learn the hard way...again!  I've always been sceptical about signing a damage waiver form - its like saying if you damage my car you're not liable even though VW are to blame for stupid design flaw.  And breaking my windows won't work as I've got the secure film on them too.

Fortunately spare set of keys at home a few miles away so no biggie, just a bit of hassle...lets just hope it doesn't happen again but I do like the sound of keeping a spare blade inside wallet!  

p.s. I'll never regret keyless, nor rear camera.  For one its so much better just touching the handle and locking/unlocking the car rather than fumbling around scratching the door handle each time.  And rear view cam is a joy parking in garage backwards and various tight spaces.  

What do you mean by fumbling around scratching the door handle each time? If you dont have keyless you just press the lock button :P

No fumbling with the door. Thats Keyless! :)

You say desgin flaw, but what would you rather? The car stays unlocked?

An audible warning would be good. But again, easily missed if your walking away and hear a "beep" you may think nothing of it.

Its a shitty situation, and I can imagine how frustrating it must be. But I think its one of those things that there isnt a good tech solution for.

Now you curse VW for locking the car. If it was the other way around you cruse them as you return to an empty space where your car used to be. 

Having said that, the Merc App that lets you lock/unlock the car looks neat. 

Anybody know if VW offer that on the newer FL R? 

I recently installed the "My VW" app, but that can only show you information about servicing etc. 

I don't see how VW  can really be blamed for this, it's simply operator error. If you leave your keys in the house and then go out and shut the front door with a Yale latch lock, you are locked out. Do you blame Yale? 

14 minutes ago, GeoffT said:

I don't see how VW  can really be blamed for this, it's simply operator error. If you leave your keys in the house and then go out and shut the front door with a Yale latch lock, you are locked out. Do you blamed Yale? 

I tend to agree, but it doesnt stop you cursing! I dont like yale locks, but builder fitted one to the front door of a new build i used to have. Had to remember to put it 'on the latch' every time i went out the front door, even for a minute . Otherwise a small gust of wind would cause door to slam shut, particularly if one of the small windiows at the back of the house was open. Had to hide a spare key in the back garden - the equivalent of the idea above about having a spare blade cut! 

Back to the car problem... does anyone know how long it takes for the car to (central) auto-lock if just left unlocked?

I did an experiment a couple of weeks ago after a similar post to the OP's.

Left the car unlocked (regular key) sat on the drive and it remained unlocked after about 20 minutes.

Vague memory of a car setting for this?

53 minutes ago, xPETEZx said:

What do you mean by fumbling around scratching the door handle each time? If you dont have keyless you just press the lock button :P

No fumbling with the door. Thats Keyless! :)

You say desgin flaw, but what would you rather? The car stays unlocked?

An audible warning would be good. But again, easily missed if your walking away and hear a "beep" you may think nothing of it.

Its a shitty situation, and I can imagine how frustrating it must be. But I think its one of those things that there isnt a good tech solution for.

Now you curse VW for locking the car. If it was the other way around you cruse them as you return to an empty space where your car used to be. 

Having said that, the Merc App that lets you lock/unlock the car looks neat. 

Anybody know if VW offer that on the newer FL R? 

I recently installed the "My VW" app, but that can only show you information about servicing etc. 

The app does a lot more than just lock car. As well as a tracker and geofencing 

IMG_0957.PNG

IMG_0958.PNG

IMG_0959.PNG

1 hour ago, Steve_3939 said:

The app does a lot more than just lock car. As well as a tracker and geofencing 

IMG_0957.PNG

IMG_0958.PNG

IMG_0959.PNG

That is seriously cool!

Even showing the tyre pressures!?

Is it an optional extra to get this, or all A45's have this standard?