Sign in to follow this  
Splats

How do you use your DSG gearbox

How do you use your DSG gearbox  

55 members have voted

1. 1. As a percentage of your overall driving, how often do you drive your DSG Golf R in full manual mode (Please note, full manual is down to D and stick to left, pulling on the paddles to over-ride D or S auto is NOT full manual)

• 90%+ Manual
    • 75-90% Manual
    • 50-75% Manual
    • 25-50% Manual
    • 10-25% Manual
    • <10% Manual

I only have DSG because I have an estate, in individual mode I sometimes put DSG into Eco as it pretty much changes gear when I would if I was just plodding around. If I had the choice between the 2 I would go for a manual every time. I generally only use full manual mode when linking a few corners together or whilst having a blast for a bit of fun. The only other time I use the paddles is when I know the box is going to be stupid(going up a hill at 31mph in 5th for example, holds onto 5th for too long, driver increases throttle input, car still loses speed, then at 29mph the car decides to drop to 4th and lurches forward). Then at the other end it will hold onto 5th until I've accelerated up a hill to 70mph then wait until 5 seconds when I'd personally changed into 6th below 60mph. 

Next car probably won't be DSG funnily enough, I don't mind the BMW ZF sport auto boxes though they are really quick and smooth. The Golf DSG is OK but it should be smoother and should surely realise that it'll need to change down when it's starting to labour and going up a hill!?

But a manual car doesnt have paddles though  

Guess im a rare breed that i only use the gear stick exclusively when in manual mode , this i believe is more 'involving' than flicking the paddles ? 

Count me as the same breed I have paddle extensions (pinalloy) but still prefer stick shift even though it is the wrong way around!

5 minutes ago, R-Estate said:

Count me as the same breed emoji106.png I have paddle extensions (pinalloy) but still prefer stick shift even though it is the wrong way around!

For me it feels naturally the correct way round. Up = Up a Gear , Down = Down a Gear.

Was in a BMW auto a few months ago , the little stick totally threw me off.

40 minutes ago, NinkyNonk said:

I only have DSG because I have an estate, in individual mode I sometimes put DSG into Eco as it pretty much changes gear when I would if I was just plodding around. If I had the choice between the 2 I would go for a manual every time. I generally only use full manual mode when linking a few corners together or whilst having a blast for a bit of fun. The only other time I use the paddles is when I know the box is going to be stupid(going up a hill at 31mph in 5th for example, holds onto 5th for too long, driver increases throttle input, car still loses speed, then at 29mph the car decides to drop to 4th and lurches forward). Then at the other end it will hold onto 5th until I've accelerated up a hill to 70mph then wait until 5 seconds when I'd personally changed into 6th below 60mph. 

Next car probably won't be DSG funnily enough, I don't mind the BMW ZF sport auto boxes though they are really quick and smooth. The Golf DSG is OK but it should be smoother and should surely realise that it'll need to change down when it's starting to labour and going up a hill!?

I just don't understand why you would tolerate that?  I can't even tell you when the gearbox will do something stupid as I have so little experience of giving it the opportunity to be stupid.  In the same scenario I would be in 5th (manually) at 31mph and can call upon 100% throttle without having to (or having the car) change a gear.  Why do people drive DSG's in auto mode and then complain that they would prefer a manual.  It just makes no sense to me.  Everything that annoys you about the gearbox in the scenario above is within your control and it's hardly a hardship to manually click up 1st-5th gear.  In fact, I often pull of in 1st, click into 2nd, give a squirt of the throttle up to my 30-40mph cruising speed and then give 3 quick clicks to settle the car into 5th.  It takes no thought and virtually zero effort but you get all of the benefits of a manual car with none of the drawbacks of an auto.

Lustral, gear-changes should be in the direction of acceleration forces.  If you are braking hard and are pinned against a seat belt it feels all wrong to be pulling back on the stick.  Similarly, if you are being pinned in your seat from acceleration you pulling back for gears is consistent with the direction of force acting on your body and arm.

All racing sequential gear boxes are pull back to go up a gear, and push to go down. Always have, always will be. I have no idea why some car manufacturers do it opposite way around. Maybe VW can explain their logic. I can't use the stick because I cannot retrain my head to do something so non-intuitive. I have to think too much about what I'm doing rather than just doing it subconsciously. Our last car was a Mazda and was the correct way around.

Agree with above, the DSG is great if you use it properly and has plenty of manual intervention if you want/need it. Using it in manual all the time defeats the purpose of having it for me.

I have only two gripes about the DSG. 1. Kick down in manual mode. 2. Engine breaking not that strong (compared to a manual).

4 hours ago, R-Estate said:

Agree with above, the DSG is great if you use it properly and has plenty of manual intervention if you want/need it. Using it in manual all the time defeats the purpose of having it for me.

I have only two gripes about the DSG. 1. Kick down in manual mode. 2. Engine breaking not that strong (compared to a manual).

I agree, it's very rare I push through kickdown now but it does happen in the heat of the moment sometimes.  If I could remap the box I would remove kickdown and allow it to clip the limiter for a few seconds before changing up.  I lease so this isn't an option for me.

4 hours ago, R-Estate said:

Kick down is easily avoided once you've got the know the point at which to halt the travel of the throttle pedal, then the only time it happens is when you intentionally want to do it, if ever.   A good practice is to sit in the car stationary (engine off) and repeatedly push down on the pedal until you reach resistance then push down past that to feel the kickdown switch, then, do it again several times but stopping short of hitting the switch, after a while it soon becomes second nature once out on the road. 

I find the engine braking fine, especially in S auto and S manual.  There's a few fairly steep downhills I encounter daily (one with a speed camera on the downhill stretch), but no need to touch the brakes if in either of those gearbox modes.  Use engine braking a lot in low moving traffic too. 

Kick down is easily avoided once you've got the know the point at which to halt the travel of the throttle pedal, then the only time it happens is when you intentionally want to do it, if ever.   A good practice is to sit in the car stationary (engine off) and repeatedly push down on the pedal until you reach resistance then push down past that to feel the kickdown switch, then, do it again several times but stopping short of hitting the switch, after a while it soon becomes second nature once out on the road. 

I find the engine braking fine, especially in S auto and S manual.  There's a few fairly steep downhills I encounter daily (one with a speed camera on the downhill stretch), but no need to touch the brakes if in either of those gearbox modes.  Use engine braking a lot in low moving traffic too. 

You're right it does become second nature on the kickdown point, I would just prefer it not to trigger when in manual mode. Had my previous DSG mapped to this effect and it was great.

You're also right on the engine braking in sport, it is better, but I still think it should/could be better still.

Maybe the answer is to get a manual......but I like the DSG too much even though it isn't 100% perfect imo

4 minutes ago, R-Estate said:

You're right it does become second nature on the kickdown point, I would just prefer it not to trigger when in manual mode. Had my previous DSG mapped to this effect and it was great.

You're also right on the engine braking in sport, it is better, but I still think it should/could be better still.

Maybe the answer is to get a manual......but I like the DSG too much even though it isn't 100% perfect imo emoji6.png

Agree, it would be preferable not to have kickdown in manual at all, but at least there is a remedy if you can't live with it. Are you going to get it mapped to remove it as you did previously? 

I don't think many things are 100% perfect, but it's close enough to make me stick with dsg over manual. 

Agree, it would be preferable not to have kickdown in manual at all, but at least there is a remedy if you can't live with it. Are you going to get it mapped to remove it as you did previously? 

I don't think many things are 100% perfect, but it's close enough to make me stick with dsg over manual. 

Not sure, maybe once money allows. I spend too much money on detailing products these days (you're partly to blame!)

14 hours ago, Splats said:

I just don't understand why you would tolerate that?  I can't even tell you when the gearbox will do something stupid as I have so little experience of giving it the opportunity to be stupid.  In the same scenario I would be in 5th (manually) at 31mph and can call upon 100% throttle without having to (or having the car) change a gear.  Why do people drive DSG's in auto mode and then complain that they would prefer a manual.  It just makes no sense to me.  Everything that annoys you about the gearbox in the scenario above is within your control and it's hardly a hardship to manually click up 1st-5th gear.  In fact, I often pull of in 1st, click into 2nd, give a squirt of the throttle up to my 30-40mph cruising speed and then give 3 quick clicks to settle the car into 5th.  It takes no thought and virtually zero effort but you get all of the benefits of a manual car with none of the drawbacks of an auto.

I was merely pointing out that the system is a bit dopey, I work around the flaws that I have pointed out by flicking the paddles when required. Don't really understand why VW haven't addressed the labouring/lurch on hills when it changes down. The car has a G sensor so it knows it's heading up a hill and will probably have to change down.

Can't deny that using it in full manual mode produces a smoother more predictable drive.