I've got 2 rattles in my car , one is the pop up door where I plug my phone in rattles when left open and the other is a constant rattle from the sunglasses compartment door on the roof ( took me ages to work it out ) 

stops when you touch the door , thinking of putting a bit of dynamat inside the door to add a bit of weight to it, 

anyone else got these rattles ? 

Thought I had a new rattle this morning.  Driving daughter to gymnastic session, hearing a really loud rattling from passenger side the whole journey.  Had her remove anything and everything from door pockets, glovebox, check sunglasses cubby, but still rattling.  Then she pipes up, "oh you mean the ice in my water bottle".  😠 :embarrassed: 🙃

Off topic, but on same journey, think the summer heat has got to my car.  Front Assist beeping all over the place - car not even moving in static traffic with decent gap!   It's a temperamental little beast. 

On my second 7R, both very sensitive to temperature change and rattles vary accordingly. One common 'noise' is the tailgate flexing as the rubber stops on either side are not always uniformly adjusted at factory.

Decided it was finally time to Krytox the door seals and window felts.  Recently had the beginnings of a telltale creaking from drivers' door perimeter area (maybe rear passenger door) at low speeds, reminiscent of my old mk6 creaking seals/felts problem.  Wanted to nip it in the bud before it starts to drive me to distraction. 

Cleaned the seals first with Panel Wipe then decanted some Krytox onto a saucer and appplied carefully with a detailing brush (instead of usual fingertips) which was great for getting into the groove of the soft main door seal, and for avoiding it going on surrounding paintwork.  Also applied to window felts, which are often the cause of the creaking, and all other contact seals. Left the lubricant for a while then wiped over with an old microfibre towel to get the excess off.   

1BF329A4-B868-4A37-BAC8-FD29ABDE453D.thumb.JPG.55ab2074e650dd8b6b40598c3e788033.JPG

EA60835F-027B-4CE0-A06C-A2381A55C39D.thumb.JPG.dea752747f8050efe75254389cf422d2.JPG

49F5AC27-BDF0-4F7D-80A3-6CB94235C7A5.thumb.JPG.7ddb2938cbee9fe281a4315b471e8b3d.JPG

IMG_3120.thumb.JPG.e72af04c71898bdc198a5b98ed4e8c20.JPG

B4C8725A-08BD-4BA8-B729-BA12EAEAD014.thumb.JPG.13811c8ddeef7837e9b9ccab7b8d62cc.JPG

Just been for a drive and no creaking.

Mine has been riddled with little noises which I just take in for work under warranty. The boot area had a rattle and was stripped and refitted with some cushioning. I have the same thing with the little compartment in the centre console but I tend to try keep it closed. I've got a buzzing sound when I go over certain types of bumps caused by th two sections of e rear seat rubbing together and now all the doors are creaking as the car flexes, especially when hot. VW garage clearly think I'm imagining things because they can never hear it when they go for a test drive alone.

On 2017-6-10 at 14:25, Booth11 said:

Decided it was finally time to Krytox the door seals and window felts.  Recently had the beginnings of a telltale creaking from drivers' door perimeter area (maybe rear passenger door) at low speeds, reminiscent of my old mk6 creaking seals/felts problem.  Wanted to nip it in the bud before it starts to drive me to distraction. 

Cleaned the seals first with Panel Wipe then decanted some Krytox onto a saucer and appplied carefully with a detailing brush (instead of usual fingertips) which was great for getting into the groove of the soft main door seal, and for avoiding it going on surrounding paintwork.  Also applied to window felts, which are often the cause of the creaking, and all other contact seals. Left the lubricant for a while then wiped over with an old microfibre towel to get the excess off.   

1BF329A4-B868-4A37-BAC8-FD29ABDE453D.thumb.JPG.55ab2074e650dd8b6b40598c3e788033.JPG

EA60835F-027B-4CE0-A06C-A2381A55C39D.thumb.JPG.dea752747f8050efe75254389cf422d2.JPG

49F5AC27-BDF0-4F7D-80A3-6CB94235C7A5.thumb.JPG.7ddb2938cbee9fe281a4315b471e8b3d.JPG

B4C8725A-08BD-4BA8-B729-BA12EAEAD014.thumb.JPG.13811c8ddeef7837e9b9ccab7b8d62cc.JPG

Just been for a drive and no creaking. emoji106.png

Bec what brush is that please?

I have ordered the lube and that brush looks really good for the job, wouldn't mind getting one. 

Thanks.

Bec what brush is that please?

I have ordered the lube and that brush looks really good for the job, wouldn't mind getting one. 

Thanks.

Pete, it's a small WoWo detailing brush, comes as part of a 2pk with a small and larger one. Great for stuff like this plus detailed wheel, calliper work, grills etc. I have a couple of sets and use them every week.

https://wo-wo.co.uk/collections/wo-wo-car-detailing-products/products/x2-pack-wo-wo-detailing-brushes

They are a forum sponsor so forum discount is 20% using code VWROC20 on shopping cart page.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a rattle in the rear, where the seat back clips into the metal loop, the latch isnt 100% snug so rattles against the loop ... drives me mental, so an old cloth cut small and put around the loop then put the seat back up ... done .. not a proper fix but has stopped the rattle haha

On 10/06/2017 at 14:25, Booth11 said:

Just been for a drive and no creaking. emoji106.png

I’ve just started to notice some creaking from the off-side driver and possibly passenger doors/windows this afternoon. It sounds very much like the creaking I’ve had in the past (on a previous car) caused by the seals. I’m currently only really hearing it when I’m manoeuvring the car slowly.

I’ve got some of that Panel Wipe which I was thinking of using inside the door shut areas, to ensure the paintwork in there is free from anything that might promote it against the seals.

You mentioned you used panel wipe on the seals. Is it safe to use the GTechniq Panel Wipe on the rubber?

And what about the flock seals along the top of the windows?

I don’t have any Krytox. I have a new bottle of Sonax GummiPfleger which I’m thinking of trying on the rubbers but wasn’t sure about the flock seals. Whether I should avoid them with the Gummi?

10 minutes ago, Starnzy said:

I’ve just started to notice some creaking from the off-side driver and possibly passenger doors/windows this afternoon. It sounds very much like the creaking I’ve had in the past (on a previous car) caused by the seals. I’m currently only really hearing it when I’m manoeuvring the car slowly.

I’ve got some of that Panel Wipe which I was thinking of using inside the door shut areas, to ensure the paintwork in there is free from anything that might promote it against the seals.

You mentioned you used panel wipe on the seals. Is it safe to use the GTechniq Panel Wipe on the rubber?

And what about the flock seals along the top of the windows?

I don’t have any Krytox. I have a new bottle of Sonax GummiPfleger which I’m thinking of trying on the rubbers but wasn’t sure about the flock seals. Whether I should avoid them with the Gummi?

The seals are a common culprit Marcus, I’ve had creaky door seals on every golf I’ve had and sounds like you’ve had it on other cars too.  They get to a certain point and dry out, start creaking and just need lubricating.  I’ve not had to do mine again since this thread but I expect they’ll need it sooner rather than later, as it’s been a good while now.  

Panel Wipe is fine (ime) to use on the rubber seals and the flock, to make sure they are free of any residue, dirt etc, and prep the seals for lubricating.  I’ve never had any ill effects using it on either runner or flock seals.  Alternatively you could use some shampoo solution knocked up, to clean them down prior to using the Gummi Pflege.  

Gummi Pflege will do the trick and is used by plenty, ime, it’s not as long lasting as Krytox, but the flip side is its considerably cheaper.   The flock seals at the top are often more noisy than the rubber door seals so I’ve always done those, and again never any degradation caused by the lubricant oil. It’s important to wipe off any excess after application otherwise the does run.  I hope it sorts the creaking for you. 

14 minutes ago, Booth11 said:

The seals are a common culprit Marcus, I’ve had creaky door seals on every golf I’ve had and sounds like you’ve had it on other cars too.  They get to a certain point and dry out, start creaking and just need lubricating.  I’ve not had to do mine again since this thread but I expect they’ll need it sooner rather than later, as it’s been a good while now.  

Panel Wipe is fine (ime) to use on the rubber seals and the flock, to make sure they are free of any residue, dirt etc, and prep the seals for lubricating.  I’ve never had any ill effects using it on either runner or flock seals.  Alternatively you could use some shampoo solution knocked up, to clean them down prior to using the Gummi Pflege.  

Gummi Pflege will do the trick and is used by plenty, ime, it’s not as long lasting as Krytox, but the flip side is its considerably cheaper.   The flock seals at the top are often more noisy than the rubber door seals so I’ve always done those, and again never any degradation caused by the lubricant oil. It’s important to wipe off any excess after application otherwise the does run.  I hope it sorts the creaking for you. 

Great, thanks for the info. I’ll give this a go tomorrow and see how it goes then 🤞

With regards creaky door seals, my only experience of this is on BMWs - they are notorious for this issue. And its all down to what you wash your car with.

I've no idea if VW's suffer from the same issue or its inevitable all VW seals will creak at some point. Mine certainly don't and I've had the car 18 months.

This is a post on a BMW forum from several years ago where I asked a BMW technician about the issue. The usual dealer "fix" is to attach clear tape around the door frames.

image.thumb.png.57592bceb9fb6744f7ea37b596b708d0.png

And some people were/are using expensive cleaning products on their BMW and still getting creaking.

But as I say, using the "wrong" cleaning products may not affect VW's at all.

Funnily enough my front doors have just started creaking again after a 12 month hiatus, perhaps its the colder weather starting. I'm almost out of Krytox so yesterday applied Gummipflege all round the seals. It worked, last night it was silent. However, I know from experience the gummi stuff only lasts a couple of weeks and needs re-applying.