gazza5

New White 7.5 R Estate

So took delivery on Wednesday 7th June of my shiny new R estate in white.

This is one of the lease deals offered in April. Ordered with 10k miles, deposit £1540, monthly £256.

So I have come from a diesel astra, been a faithful servant, although Vauxhall pretty much get slated for being rubbish, I have not found this the case, I just fancied something different, always liked the R, so bit the bullet and signed on the dotted line.

First impressions, it is a step up from the astra, no shaky peddles, steering wheel but then this is the difference between petrol and diesel. Dash, if I'm honest the gap isn't as big as people say but the golf is a step up.

Like the digital dash, this car has so many toys I haven't been through half of them yet. Sat nav is a bit pants, so I have used android auto and google maps which I have to say is very impressive.

Will update the review as I go along, done not far off 300 miles in my first 5 days and have a long journey a head this week. Long range mpg, finding 39 mpg easy (see picture below) but the M25 these days is strictly 70 mph, no more than this (if you get up to 70!)

Some pictures

DSC_0015_zpsrkdjw4bo.jpg

DSC_0104_zpsjrlct6p6.jpg

DSC_0106_zpsvmx5aanj.jpg

DSC_0108_zps0z9lhix9.jpg

Car golf replaces

63dc9578-d8af-4abc-9b2f-cf83c4993880_zps

So bit of a update - had a serious (well for me) amount of motorway driving - so covered just over 600 miles in a week. Unheard of for me - so mpg is up quite a bit. Had quiet runs generally but mpg doing 156 miles including some 50 mph sections on the M1 car returned 40.2 mpg, way back (slightly shorter route) did 149 miles and got 41.5 mpg - mostly sitting at 70 officer.

Car average is now 37.6 but I expect this to go down with trips to work - anywhere between 25 and 31 mpg. Would say 90% of my driving has been motorway so far.

Car isn't really being run in - just trying to keep the revs to below 4000 - although have been up to 5000 once or twice. Once 800 miles are on will test it out a bit more.

So far enjoying the car - think the sat nav in the astra was better - so I just use google maps on my phone - my sat nav seems to be trying to download points of interest and wanting a wlan setting - so looks like need the manual out at the weekend (this weekend also say buy buy to the astra for good).

Looks like first wash is needed - lots of dead bugs and very warm down south meaning crusty bugs. Seen swirl marks already on the car - wish I didn't let the dealer wash it.

Hi,

Mine is the twin of yours including the crusty bugs on the front. Got mine Thursday last week. After a diesel Volvo V70 it is quite a change. In particular it is like jumping 20 years forward with Nav, Active Display etc. Really liking the white even if the wife tells me it looks like a giant fridge freezer.

On 17/06/2017 at 11:41, Richard2 said:

Hi,

Mine is the twin of yours including the crusty bugs on the front. Got mine Thursday last week. After a diesel Volvo V70 it is quite a change. In particular it is like jumping 20 years forward with Nav, Active Display etc. Really liking the white even if the wife tells me it looks like a giant fridge freezer.

Got mine the day before, find it a little hard on the motorway (depending on which motorway) but I expected this tbh as it has to be set up firmly it is a sporty car after all!

I like the white as I think it works really well with the black details of the bodykit, after having white and black before it is a bit of a cliche thing now, but I think it works really well on the R.

Not done much mileage at the moment, up to 650 ish, but can see me filling up more and more with 99 RON if petrol prices stay the same 116.9 at the minute for Tesco Momentum 99 near my work.

Really does need a wash, hoping the weatehr will cool a little bit so I can at least give it a rinse in the evening, waxing etc will have to wait until the weekend by the looks of my weather app.

Mini update, car has now passed 1k miles - I'm on 1001.

So a little review:

Digital dash - although needs more customisation

Standard radio is very good with the touch etc, very responsive

Car to me looks very nice, like how the white and black works, should of maybe got black wing mirrors.

Comfy seats

Oh and the car is a little bit fast, grip through the corners is very good

MPG - for a car with this performance - can't fault the mpg, would say I have done about 300 town miles and 700 motorway miles avg mpg so far 34.9

Exhaust pops / farts - makes me giggle like a school boy seeing his first pair of boobs every time.

LED lights - not had chance to use them too much but when I have seem very good

Lights in mirrors, must admit I like this feature - think they are called puddle lights.

Dislikes

Parts of the car feel a bit cheap - maybe I had too high expectations of VW

Rattle drivers side every time over a bump, cats eye etc - annoying can't locate it

Sports mode - hangs onto 2nd and 3rd gear too much - don't like how with the paddles I have it in 7th then it decides 5th - I assume I am not using it right and maybe need to push the dsg lever over for true manual.

Ride a bit hard at times, especially on sections of m25 -car copes better with the bumps at 70 than 50. This is on the yellowy tarmac bits where they are joined together - the noise does my head in.

Overall enjoying the car, few little niggles, but the car in general gets a big thumbs up from me. Just need to do some more driving without the missus.

On 3 July 2017 at 15:22, gazza5 said:

Sports mode - hangs onto 2nd and 3rd gear too much - don't like how with the paddles I have it in 7th then it decides 5th - I assume I am not using it right and maybe need to push the dsg lever over for true manual.

You are correct mate, anytime the lever is left in "D" it will change down for you. 

Any sporty driving should be done with manual paddle shifting, the gearbox is too unpredictable for corners etc. not great at all. 

Just ordered same thing as you, looks brilliant to be honest ! 

Am I right in saying the rear indicators are NOT sweeping/dynamic? They just flash like the old ones?

On 08/07/2017 at 10:30, EddieR said:

You are correct mate, anytime the lever is left in "D" it will change down for you. 

Any sporty driving should be done with manual paddle shifting, the gearbox is too unpredictable for corners etc. not great at all. 

Just ordered same thing as you, looks brilliant to be honest ! 

Am I right in saying the rear indicators are NOT sweeping/dynamic? They just flash like the old ones?

Yep no sweeping, just flash. This time they are LED which I think before they weren't.

Overall the mpg I think is amazing on this car, weekend went to Colchester and back, averaged............. 42.9 mpg. This did include some 50 mpg work on the m25 due to traffic and same on A12. Car when I turned it off, used 1/2 a tank, mileage left 240. Although that went down this morning due to driving to work, lost 10 miles driving for 4 miles.

From what I can gather the 7spd box can achieve much better cruising MPG (which you'd expect) but surprised by how much as from what I was reading about the earlier 6spd models people struggle to get higher than 35mpg on a cruise

1 hour ago, J6MXE said:

From what I can gather the 7spd box can achieve much better cruising MPG (which you'd expect) but surprised by how much as from what I was reading about the earlier 6spd models people struggle to get higher than 35mpg on a cruise

I'll be honest its all how you drive.

For motorway driving I do mainly sit at 70, had occasional blasts, but nothing out of the ordinary compared to other traffic. I'm first to admit I am not someone who sits at 80 all the way, but I do a lot of my driving on m25 / M3.

Had a few little quick bits, but generally as its a family car majority of its mileage so far has been with the family and on long motorway trips.

According to my app my filling up history has shown the following mpg's 37.32, 37.97, 32.47. The 32.47 was mainly going to and from work, with 1 62 mile family trip.

Sits bang on 2000 rpm at 70, think 80 is 2200 (maybe 2250).

All I got to do now is take my car back to VW to sort out the moving window rattle over bumps, I have already fixed the silver trim around the dsg gear stick, it popped up when we had the hot weather, I had to take it off and put back on as one section would not click down.

Maybe I am asking too much, but after a few years of vauxhalls expected more of a jump in terms of quality to VW.

So after a nice wash at the weekend, decide to have a scrap with the kerb today, not a happy bunny considering was doing a good deed dropping something off. Was as I was leaving as well.

Clean at weekend

DSC_0237.thumb.JPG.ab84177946ddc0fe52ef5ce812d80bdb.JPG

Kerb damage today. Very slight mind! 

DSC_0250.thumb.JPG.c13f6b1166c3192b202bc574d1a38ffa.JPG

So another update, car is now on 4006 miles.

Overall mpg (fuelio app on android) 37.09 expect this to be lower come fill up time as car average at the moment is 31.58 for this current tank.

Low mileage has now kicked in for me, last filled it up august 31st, still got quarter of a tank!

In typical golf fashion, not a lot to report, seriously needs a wash, but exhaust note I think has changed now its all nicely carboned up, played with sport mode a little bit more, seriously rapid machine, although at times it feels like its a bit low on power. I had a little play with a diesel audi, and yes mine was quick, but I do seem to have a bit of hissing noise going on which can be heard when pressing on hard with the window open. Not sure what thats about, mind you I haven't been running 99 ron fuel for th elast 2 tanks due to lots of motorway driving.

Grip is very good, I will never get anywhere near the grip limits of this car.

Need to sort out the winter prep for it, its getting cold outside now! Need the car nicely waxed up ready for winter, and need to get something on the alloys, these cars seem to develop a lot of brake dust.

So quick update, car now on 5562 miles, so for just over 6 months driving not too bad, not far off projected 10k miles a year. Car mpg is at 34.84 as average. This has been decreasing as we now have the colder weather, apart from 3 tanks of fuel rest have been tesco momentum (I know pointless its a lease car but its still mine for 2 years!)

Nothing drastic to report car was hit in the street thread

Overall in true german fashion, nothing gone wrong, still some rattles, and getting one or two more as time goes on.

Grip is another level in this car, really is astonishing the amount of grip you get in the bends, had a little play saturday night (south east had the smallest amount of snow ever) and I am starting to get to grips with th epaddles now, starting to get use to it in sport mode and full manual with the paddles.

MPG does plummet quite a bit when on it, but that's to be expected, and its not a grumble at all - car uses more fuel going fast shocker!