GE90

Helix Audio Upgrade Fitted - REALLY IMPRESSED

Just an update to my question above... Here's a reply from Audiotec Fischer to my question, answer pretty much as expected:

I can’t recommend to change the original Speakers in Combination with the VW Soundsystem. Because the Soundsetups where created for the original speaker System and you are not able to change these Parameters. If you want to optimize the speakers, than I recommend the Match Amplifier PP 62 or M5DSP MKII. Both Amplifiers can be fit in the Installation Area of the Soundsystem.

Hi all

just purchased my 3rd Golf GTI but this is the best so far Mk7.5!

looking at the Helix - does someone on the site still have the programme single for hire ?

also does the part number ending ‘b’ work with the latest facelift infotainment system?

many thanks in advance

Matt

On 16/11/2019 at 23:07, GE90 said:

Just to keep this thread up to date with information learnt. 

After about 18 months with a VW, I recently purchased a 2015 GTI again. First thing to do.....? Fit Helix!

The car came with MIB1 5.8” with nav. The kit I sourced was boxed and labelled as a early non-B version, although the loom and DSP had a B on the end of their part number labels. 

The improvement on this basic MIB1 unit was very minimal (although vastly improved when programmed to 57, despite showing 57 when plugged in. However, I knew that I would be upgrading to MIB2, and when I did this afternoon, goodness, what a vast improvement! Unbelievable. 

So what w have learnt is that, if my Helix was truly non-B, it 100% works with the MIB2 (for avoidance of doubt, I’m not referring to the latest glass MIB2.5). Dongle programming is a must. Also, the basic MIB1 just doesn’t do the Helix system any justice, it needs MIB2 really.

Cheers

I went from MIB1 pro to 2.5 PRO, the helix kit is the first model od production, all working great 

23 hours ago, Thedude74 said:

GE90 hopefully you are still able to help as it looks like you have helped many others with the dongle

my email is [email protected] if you are happy to rent the dongle out still?

thanks

No problem, email sent. 

Cheers

Quick update, I’ve had this system installed for over a year now and it still gets people to comment on how good the sound is.

however being a complete idiot I decided to put the volume loud and have seem to have ruined the front left speaker.

It is now distorted and sounds awful at a volume of 10 or above. I am wondering if anyone has had luck in upgrading the speaker if so what would be the best upgrade?

On 16/01/2020 at 19:51, PerthNik said:

Just an update to my question above... Here's a reply from Audiotec Fischer to my question, answer pretty much as expected:

I can’t recommend to change the original Speakers in Combination with the VW Soundsystem. Because the Soundsetups where created for the original speaker System and you are not able to change these Parameters. If you want to optimize the speakers, than I recommend the Match Amplifier PP 62 or M5DSP MKII. Both Amplifiers can be fit in the Installation Area of the Soundsystem.

Correct. 

PSA about the Helix amp and aftermarket speaks... but first a quick intro.  I am the dude who made the original Helix install video. WAVE 👋🏻.  I came here because I am putting my old Helix sub in my wifes new 2019 e-Golf SEL and needed some info. Good news is it fits.  👍🏻  The trunk is like the R - Shallow, because of the battery packs, but it still drops in.  Anyway, I was about to post the same thing before I read the response from ATF.  I actually contacted them about the very same issue because I upgraded my front woofers for the F--k of it and instantly regretted it.  I added some Rockford Fosgates with MASSIVE Magnets, because go big or go home, right?  Ya, wrong. 

Day 1 :  My sub stops working.  
Day 2 : The speakers shut off randomly. 
Day 3 : My whole amp starts smoking and I fry it.  🤬😭

Another forum member I spoke with upgraded to the Focal ISS 166's you guys mention here (Much smaller magnets, correct RMS/Peak range and correct @4 Ohms) and his amp STILL started exhibiting the same issues.  (More on those later) .  Luckily he swapped back to the OEM speakers before he blew his amp. 

I have since been on an epic audio upgrade quest and learned a LOT.  The Helix amp is VERY sensitive to Ohms and watts (Both RMS and peak), the sound is also custom designed for our cabin, speaker type, speaker placement, and exactly where you sit.  In short I would NOT upgrade your speakers.  The stock Tweeters are a very capable silk dome tweeter that softens the very cold, clean sound of the Helix amp.  Together they create a perfect sonic harmony. (Like salted caramel, on their own salt and caramel are a bit too much, but together they compliment each other very well)  The Helix takes an otherwise unremarkable tweeter and cleans up the sound making it far more detailed, but still warm and very well balanced.  Matched to the ISS 165 or 166's and you are going to find yourself In a place I like to refer to as "Ear Fatigue City".  Are the Focal ISS 166's amazing?  Yes.  I upgraded to them with a Helix P6 MKII Pro amp (With a Mono amp for the Sub, more on that later) and I can literally hear the spit inside signers mouths.  It's kind of gross and awesome at the same time.  They are THAT detailed.  The clarity of the inverted aluminum dome is amazingly clear but can be too bright (I wouldn't go as far as to say tin-ey) , but if you go that route you will need a full DSP like the Helix Pro Six MKII in order to tame harsh frequencies using a special mic and a program like REW.  Helix has done all this for you.  They literally record the sound in the card and edit the response frequency for those speakers and your car (Thus the different profiles).  You can find videos of this process on youtube. 

I know a lot of this is nothing new to some of you but for some (Like myself last year) you don't know what you don't know.  Helix engineers also used time-alignment to set the drivers speaker position so the sound stage's stereo field is correct for your seating position.  This is huge.  It might sound like crap from the passenger seat but who cares bout them really. 😂 Without TA the sound is muddy and coming from nowhere in particular.  With it, the signer is in the middle and the band is in different places in fron of you - not only to the left and right, but closer and further away in virtual space. Add to that active crossovers to the in cabin speakers so the Helix Sub in the trunk can take over bass duties and you can push the paper door woofers harder and louder without distortion.  This is why the Helix amp is SUCH A GOOD VALUE.  I cannot stress this enough.  The system I replaced it with is only slightly better and cost 3 grand.  I would say be happy with it AS-IS and leave well enough alone.  Once you start tinkering you start to concentrate more on why something sounds the way it does, you can't just enjoy the music and becomes work.  An example of this, is you may want more bass out of the mid woofers, but as soon as you do that your doors become a rattle-fest. (Ask me how i know 😉 ) Now you're chasing down rattles everywhere.  Add to that the JL Audio 10" i got that hits so hard it makes my vision blur (I'm not kidding 😂) and you will find every buzz-able plastic connection in our cars.  I fell like the Helix didn't do this at all.  You may also concentrate on why something didn't sound quite as good as the Helix and why now your ears hurt after 5 minutes of moderate volume listening. 

Despite all my warnings, my system does sound awesome now, and I had a lot of fun doing it but it's probably not worth it for 99% of you.  And it took a lot of work to get there.  Like...  My family wanted to divorce me.  LOL

I want to do a build thread on it because I have lots of pics and video as I documented the whole thing for those that still want to venture down that path, but that's going to take a while to edit together.  In the meantime I'll post up picks of my install, and am happy to answer any questions.  Thanks, nice to meet you all (First post here, (Go big or go home 😉) I've been on VW Vortex for long time) 👍🏻 

I have the IS165 focal kit in the front and  IC165 in the back with the helix kit. All working great for 4 or 5 months, and non of the listed problems, mind that the IS and IC are plug and play sets for the golf  🤭

4 hours ago, Dario said:

I have the IS165 focal kit in the front and  IC165 in the back with the helix kit. All working great for 4 or 5 months, and non of the listed problems, mind that the IS and IC are plug and play sets for the golf  🤭

Does it make a noticeable sound difference? Better worse?

15 hours ago, Dario said:

Good to know!  I wonder why that other guys had issues.  Maybe the IS 166's were the issue.  I think in my case I had ONLY upgraded the fronts (And the speakers were a bad match power draw-wise) So I think those differences didn't play well with the amp.

I'd be interested in your thoughts on the difference in sound too, primarily from the tweeters as I don't think there will be much of a noticeable difference from the mids (But i could be wrong).

20 hours ago, Moneyboi said:

Does it make a noticeable sound difference? Better worse?

sounds better to me, lounder deffo

10 hours ago, KsR_808 said:

Good to know!  I wonder why that other guys had issues.  Maybe the IS 166's were the issue.  I think in my case I had ONLY upgraded the fronts (And the speakers were a bad match power draw-wise) So I think those differences didn't play well with the amp.

I'd be interested in your thoughts on the difference in sound too, primarily from the tweeters as I don't think there will be much of a noticeable difference from the mids (But i could be wrong).

hm dont know really, mine is the first version kit not the later A/B/C versions of the kit, maybe there is that difference. But then again the focals were made as a plug and play kit for the golf. if they can be powered of the oem radio without the helix kit, dont see why they should cause problems with the kit. 

The tweets are a bit too loud for my liking, but turned them down via the infotament. for the money they are a nice upgrade 

10 hours ago, PerthNik said:

I'm keen to try out the IS165VW (front splits only), just wish I could hear it first with this setup.

@Dario do you mind driving your car to Australia so I can have a listen? :0)

pay shiping for the car :D 

Hi all, I have the boot mounted helix set up rather then the spare wheel version. My amp  Gain pot has failed- fat fingers and rough n ready screwdriver. Red led changed from the usual green. No sound. Does anyone know where I can buY the Amplifier only? I’m sure it’s the same amplifier as the spare wheel version? Cheers

Hi all, I have the boot mounted helix set up rather then the spare wheel version. My amp  Gain pot has failed- fat fingers and rough n ready screwdriver. Red led changed from the usual green. No sound. Does anyone know where I can buY the Amplifier only? I’m sure it’s the same amplifier as the spare wheel version? Cheers
I would contact AudiotecFischer directly for a replacement one, the boot mounted one is not the same as the spare wheel one I think, it's less powerful as it was designed for the Polo, I've had both and the spare wheel one sounded so much better. Also it's not an Amp it's a DSP
Good luck sourcing a spare you may be better off just looking for a 2nd hand one, you could try a spare wheel one if that's all you can find but it may blow the speakers long term I'm not sure about the differences tbh

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk