GE90

Helix Audio Upgrade Fitted - REALLY IMPRESSED

The very recent sale posts have been removed from this thread, but I’d like to remind all members that either are unaware, or don’t think the rules apply to them, that selling is not permitted outside of the forum Classifieds section as per our rules.  You need 50 posts to be able to advertise in that section, and I’m afraid if you post up items for sale in the wider forum because you don’t have enough posts for classifieds, then the posts will be removed.  The vast majority of members do follow the rules, so it’s only fair that the same applies to all.  

Great thread, loads of useful info, am thinking I really need to do this to my 2020 TCR , having done some internet trawling I’m probably going to order from eBay (German supplier). 

Could someone point me in the right direction for the correct removal tool for electrical connections and also radio release keys please and thank you.

Great thread, loads of useful info, am thinking I really need to do this to my 2020 TCR , having done some internet trawling I’m probably going to order from eBay (German supplier). 

Could someone point me in the right direction for the correct removal tool for electrical connections and also radio release keys please and thank you.

You can get a kit of radio release tools off Amazon pretty cheap. Typically they come in a set that will work on a variety of brands, just make sure they include VW.

Really you can just use paper clips on either side, but if you want be official about it you can find a terminal clip release tool on Amazon as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ok thanks ... i have mine set up nice .. but i feel it needs a bit of a door speaker upgrade still .. any tips ?

Be careful upgrading speakers.

1. Some speakers, despite being the same Ohm rating can blow the amp.

2. The helix was designed to sound its best with the speakers included with the car. If you change them it may alter the sound in a way that is not desirable. Just keep that in mind. Especially the tweeters, I wouldn’t change those. They are actually really pretty good for OEM silk dome.

I used to have the helix sub, but then went full upgrade and got the Helix P6 MKII, and Focal is165 VW : https://www.crutchfield.com/S-9e3yfhKnWkD/p_091IS165VW/Focal-Integration-IS-165VW.html?XVINQ=GLX&awkw=75646973305&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=47742938065&awdv=m&awug=9001992&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuv_bpZaB7wIVl67ICh18ngPVEAQYASABEgKBq_D_BwE

I added a mono amp and 10” JL sub to that as well.

(they fit the MK7 despite saying that they are for MK6 down), anyway, the sound his crystal clear and the high frequencies have incredible detail, but it can be on the cold and tin-y side. I put my helix in my wife’s MK7 and the sound is warmer. The highs aren’t as good, but they don’t give me ear fatigue either. The stage and stereo field seem to be better as well but hopefully I can adjust my DSP to match it. I’m having a really hard time getting the DSP settings for EQ and time alignment right. It just doesn’t sound as good. If anything I would just do what stealth GTI did and upgrade the sub. The helix has a great sound for such a little amp already. Moral of the story, be careful what you upgrade.

5 hours ago, KsR_808 said:

You can get a kit of radio release tools off Amazon pretty cheap. Typically they come in a set that will work on a variety of brands, just make sure they include VW.

Really you can just use paper clips on either side, but if you want be official about it you can find a terminal clip release tool on Amazon as well.

thanks KsR_808