28 minutes ago, Jon R306 said:

Stunning GTI.. unbelievable lease deal...
Would of gone the same way but the wife has an Obsession over 4wd and wanted an evoke after my Macan..but I wanted a GTI so we settled on the R.. emoji6.png who was I to argue emoji4.png

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

The GTi and the R are both great cars 👍

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So last week my beloved Golf R was collected by the man from the leasing company (boo) and then a few days later his colleague arrived with my new GTi (yah)   First thing... my old car was c

As others have said, I like the red on the GTI through the headlights, it does look less like a normal golf than the r.   Enjoy, and lovely colour!

I'm genuinely stoked with all the positive comments about the colour, never saw it in the flesh before it turned up at and not seen another one yet. I clayed it then Coated it with Chemical Bros

Posted Images

9 hours ago, Justgolf99 said:

So last week my beloved Golf R was collected by the man from the leasing company (boo) and then a few days later his colleague arrived with my new GTi (yah)

First thing... my old car was cosmetically flawless and my new car was a state. 5 hours of obsessive washing, claying, polishing etc it looked as you'd hope...MINT

Much has been said on here about the differences and obviously I was massively apprehensive of making a backwards step to a GTi so I just wanted to let people know a few things.

The GTi doesn't rumble like the R so what you here is really like how it sounds and admittedly it didn't sound great but it's grown on me. You can change the noise a bit but it makes little difference so best left in normal mode.

It doesn't go around corners / roundabouts like it's on rails

It WHEELSPINS which the R never did which is testament to how amazing and unnoticeable the 4WD must be

It doesn't attract every dickhead on the road wanting a race

It doesn't like petrol stations as much as the R

It doesn't feel when I stamp on the brakes the world has stopped spinning

It doesn't have oval exhaust which I hated although I unfortunately does have exhausts which are the size of a Coke can and look like they came from Halfords

It does / is / has

Sails along effortlessly in a really calm manner with very little noise and with great poise

It has made me calmer

It doesn't love petrol stations (filled up and sitting pretty with half a tank left having done 165 miles)

The new stereo and digital dash is a nice touch if not a big over whelming

I like the interior more than the R, not to everyone's tastes but just feels a bit more special to me

It goes over potholes without juddering or rattling my teeth or making me wince

It's only costing me £185 a month to lease as opposed to the £350 I was forking out for the R (I know this doesn't apply to everyone buy a big factor in making my choice)

My wife says she'll drive it (which could be good or bad) but she wouldn't drive the R as she felt it was too aggressive compared to her 1.6 GT

I managed to get it in Issac Blue which can only be got on the GTi or GTD which I like

I don't have people constantly telling me at petrol stations 'I prefer the sound of a MK6'  or  My Civic is faster' whilst I smile and in my head think maybe but 1. it's a much better car than a MK6 Golf and I don't want to drive about making loads of noise and 2 You look a like something out of Fast and the Furious driving round in that over the top plastic Civic and I'm 46 not 19

So far that's about it but I would definitely have to say the R isn't just the GTi with a few additions it's like a completely different car and they both seem to cater well for difference tastes. The R for sure is a beast and seems you get A LOT more than just out right performance for a little extra money but the GTi is a beautiful swift relaxed drive with just a little more refinement for everyday use. I'm still in that stage like when you get back from holiday and your car just doesn't feel like you remember it as you've been driving something else. Day by day I'm adjusting and genuinely loving my new car it just feels a bit strange.

Love both cars for their individual merits, let's stay positive with the comments, the sun is out and life is good.

Happy weekend allIMG_9707.thumb.jpg.84a73216612858df8ccb9ddb052dad0b.jpg

Lovely colour, enjoy the new car 👍

I'm genuinely stoked with all the positive comments about the colour, never saw it in the flesh before it turned up at and not seen another one yet.

I clayed it then Coated it with Chemical Bros Jet Seal then Poor Boys Wax and it looked like a different car than they delivered. Did it all by hand, no machines and was really easy, cost about £40.

Think my neighbours will have me sectioned if they see me out there again this month washing it

I have new GTI for now whilst my car is in getting wheels repaired through the dealer and totally agree with you. I have told everyone it is a great car and actually seems keener when pulling away than the R does (my R and this GTI are both DSG) but the power difference is noticeable once you're off and the handling stands out as well.

It it is a great looking car and I'd recommend it to my mates if they couldn't push to an R. Still can't wait to get mine back though 😃

ps. I traded my 8th gen civic type R for my 7R and I know it has its haters, but it is another great fun car to drive lol

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 07/07/2017 at 12:13, Justgolf99 said:

So last week my beloved Golf R was collected by the man from the leasing company (boo) and then a few days later his colleague arrived with my new GTi (yah)

First thing... my old car was cosmetically flawless and my new car was a state. 5 hours of obsessive washing, claying, polishing etc it looked as you'd hope...MINT

Much has been said on here about the differences and obviously I was massively apprehensive of making a backwards step to a GTi so I just wanted to let people know a few things.

The GTi doesn't rumble like the R so what you here is really like how it sounds and admittedly it didn't sound great but it's grown on me. You can change the noise a bit but it makes little difference so best left in normal mode.

It doesn't go around corners / roundabouts like it's on rails

It WHEELSPINS which the R never did which is testament to how amazing and unnoticeable the 4WD must be

It doesn't attract every dickhead on the road wanting a race

It doesn't like petrol stations as much as the R

It doesn't feel when I stamp on the brakes the world has stopped spinning

It doesn't have oval exhaust which I hated although I unfortunately does have exhausts which are the size of a Coke can and look like they came from Halfords

It does / is / has

Sails along effortlessly in a really calm manner with very little noise and with great poise

It has made me calmer

It doesn't love petrol stations (filled up and sitting pretty with half a tank left having done 165 miles)

The new stereo and digital dash is a nice touch if not a big over whelming

I like the interior more than the R, not to everyone's tastes but just feels a bit more special to me

It goes over potholes without juddering or rattling my teeth or making me wince

It's only costing me £185 a month to lease as opposed to the £350 I was forking out for the R (I know this doesn't apply to everyone buy a big factor in making my choice)

My wife says she'll drive it (which could be good or bad) but she wouldn't drive the R as she felt it was too aggressive compared to her 1.6 GT

I managed to get it in Issac Blue which can only be got on the GTi or GTD which I like

I don't have people constantly telling me at petrol stations 'I prefer the sound of a MK6'  or  My Civic is faster' whilst I smile and in my head think maybe but 1. it's a much better car than a MK6 Golf and I don't want to drive about making loads of noise and 2 You look a like something out of Fast and the Furious driving round in that over the top plastic Civic and I'm 46 not 19

So far that's about it but I would definitely have to say the R isn't just the GTi with a few additions it's like a completely different car and they both seem to cater well for difference tastes. The R for sure is a beast and seems you get A LOT more than just out right performance for a little extra money but the GTi is a beautiful swift relaxed drive with just a little more refinement for everyday use. I'm still in that stage like when you get back from holiday and your car just doesn't feel like you remember it as you've been driving something else. Day by day I'm adjusting and genuinely loving my new car it just feels a bit strange.

Love both cars for their individual merits, let's stay positive with the comments, the sun is out and life is good.

Happy weekend allIMG_9707.thumb.jpg.84a73216612858df8ccb9ddb052dad0b.jpg

Love your story. I've certain EVERYONE has gone over this in their head and it's great to have someone actually lay it out.

One of my best mates actually got me into Golfs. He's on his 2nd GTI. I went straight for an R.

He doesn't seem to think the price difference (£120+) is worth it for the R. I disagree, but I am bias. In straigh-line performance from 2nd gear onwards he's right. But in corners and on wet days, he's wrong. Very wrong.

I recently modified my R; Revo Stage 1 with all the trimmings. The gap between the two cannot be any bigger now. I think if you're in the mindset of modifying your Golf, then this is a big part of the decision making process.

PS. You're sooooo right about the rails. The R is so much surer in corners.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I've just gone from a GTI to an R and wholeheartedly agree with most of what you've said however my R on 18's is like a magic carpet vs my GTI on 19's. Much more supple - I actually prefer it.

The difference in fuel economy has been an eye-opener... 😅