Uncomfortable seats?

Hey guys,

owned the car car a few weeks now. I love it - except I can't seem to find a comfortable seating position. I'm 5' 11" so not hugely tall, and around 14st. I get lower back pain quite regularly after driving it. 

Ive got the standard cloth seats. I currently have to have the steering wheel all the way extended otherwise my feet/legs are bunched up around the peddles. Seat is raised about half way. 

Normally i I have car seats all the way to the floor and don't have any problems, but I find myself sitting too far back if I do this in the R. 

Tried playing with the lumbar support a bit, but just gets annoying after a while. 

Ant suggestions from someone who has had a similar problem? I had the same problem in an old Astra vxr and ended up getting rid of it. Really don't want to have to do the same with the R :(:(

I've got a similar issue but for me it's my neck, I previously had a couple of minor whiplash issues years and years back and I've had cars in the past which have just not lent themselves to assisting with my driving position and have given me a lot of pain. I have had this issue in the Golf R and have tried numerous seating layouts to help but with no joy.

I can't put my finger on it so unsure whether it is the seats or the car - I just can't get comfortable!

I found this thread last week which means we're not the only ones out there:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?8221594-I-Can-t-be-The-Only-One-(MK7-R-Seats-are-Painfully-Uncomfortable)

I am considering new seats but don't want to go down that route if it doesn't resolve the problem as it's such an outlay!

I wish I could offer specific suggestions for the R, but seat adjustment hasn't been a problem for me.  However, many years ago I had an issue with the 8 or 10-way manually adjustable "Vader" seats in my E36 M3.  It was hard to put up with persistent backache in a car I otherwise loved.  At some point I discovered that BMW devoted an entire section of the owner's manual to setting up these seats for maximum driving enjoyment.  The instructions seemed counter-intuitive to what I thought was my preferred driving position, but the results were revelatory.  Pain disappeared and the seats proved extremely comfortable for trips of all lengths.  In the absence of similar instructions from VW, I recommend experimentation with settings that aren't necessarily typical for you.  The R is worth the effort.  Good luck. 

Although similar to my Scirocco mk3 seats i find the R's very comfortable, although to be fair ive not really done a long trip as such yet so I may have a different opinion once I have? The roccos mounded up at the back of the actual seat part and tended to keep the lower back in an a slight arch (couldnt get arse into the back of the seat lol) which was sooo uncomfortable on a long run.
You say played with lumbar support? Mine has standard cloth seats but im unaware there is any lumbar adjustment?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We need to petition VW to supply wing back Recaro's (like in the Scirocco R) as an option for all Golf R's, any age, at a discount of corse!

The only really comfy VW seats I can remember were the Recaro's in my old Mk4 GTI, they were like armchairs, shame the rest of the car was cack.

Lower back adjustment via the lever on the right of the seat.

Thanks for that 42ac never even realised there was a lever there ha ha think youve just saved my back only had the R about 5 weeks, ive always had 3drs before this so would have noticed it earlier if i had to fold the seats forward for rear access. Funny thing was in the first couple of weeks owning it i was still trying to pull the driver seat forward to get in the back ha ha I dont miss the massive front doors either (miles better for getting in/out the car when parked now)  

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Rich_D said:

No issues for me, I'm 6' 3" and ~100kg, but find the seats comfortable & supportive, with a good driving position.

Same here (well, a kilo less TBH) ;) and the same opinion about the (cloth) seats: excellent.

6 hours ago, Rich_D said:

No issues for me, I'm 6' 3" and ~100kg, but find the seats comfortable & supportive, with a good driving position.

Same here, 5' 11" and 95kg. Seats (cloth) very supportive. Much better than my mk2 TT, where felt like no support for thighs and got cramp in right calf after two hours.

Well over 50 6ft 15st with a dodgy back I find the standard seats very comfortable and supportive!

There is usual slide back and forth under the front and the rake adjustment twisty bit at the side (much better than BMW lever). But in addition there is another lever that drops you down and angle back or up and forward! Pardon my lack of decent description but that so called height adjustment is key I reckon for a decent fit! Too low and you are reaching out too much.

Set it for about a fist full of headroom and seems to work!

'Fist full of headroom' eh could be the sequel to a fist full of dollars! Lol

Thanks for the responses guys, some genuinely useful comments!

Ive managed to get a bit comfier with the lumbar out a bit. Never used lumbar in any other cars as it annoyed me but I'm getting used to this. Still need to play around a bit :) what is the rake adjustment you mentioned Tufty?